Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Johnny Sokko and his Giant Robot (Robo) - Voyage Into Space

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnny Sokko and his Giant Robot (Robo) - Voyage Into Space

Any sign of the Johnny Sokko film called Voyage Into Space? Any region would be fine....but I can't find it. I think it went down with Orion pictures but the distribution rights must be available by now.

What about the series? A nice R1 version of the old Ultraman (though I like the new series releases a lot) would be almost as welcome as Johnny Sokko and his Giant Robot.

And then there is the Giant Robo anime. It's out in Korea which I've heard is decent. But any R1 edition? It's hard not to buy the bootlegs of some of these great old shows.
Old 10-08-04, 05:37 PM

I was wondering about this title as well. There's tons of listsing for it out there on eBay but I'm guess bootleg including the series episodes. (Can it be bootleg if it's public domain?)

Not sure what the quality would be though.
Old 10-08-04, 05:58 PM
mxv

I would LOVE for those to get released officially and restored on DVD but I don't see it happening. It appears it is now in the public domain and the bootlegs are all you can get. I have 2 different sets and the quality is pretty good on them. Avoid the ones that are only on 2 discs and spend the extra to buy from someone who sells it on multiple discs (less compression, better quality). Hell, if I had the means I'd look into doing it myself as far as making a quality official dvd release of that and Ultraman. Those shows meant a lot to me when I was a kid and I still love them as an adult.

Voyage into Space was a movie pieced together from portions of 4 or 5 of the regular episodes of Johnny Sokko and hs Flying Robot.
Old 10-08-04, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by mxv
I would LOVE for those to get released officially and restored on DVD but I don't see it happening. It appears it is now in the public domain and the bootlegs are all you can get. I have 2 different sets and the quality is pretty good on them. Avoid the ones that are only on 2 discs and spend the extra to buy from someone who sells it on multiple discs (less compression, better quality). Hell, if I had the means I'd look into doing it myself as far as making a quality official dvd release of that and Ultraman. Those shows meant a lot to me when I was a kid and I still love them as an adult.

Voyage into Space was a movie pieced together from portions of 4 or 5 of the regular episodes of Johnny Sokko and hs Flying Robot.
I only remember the movie (showed on KTLA or something) as a kid. I knew there was a series that the movie was cut so I thought it'd be great to see them all.

So, I take it you're referring to the 3-disk set that included the 26 (?) episodes and the movie as a bonus?

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-10-04, 07:20 PM
mxv

I have a 4 disc set that I bought off someone on ebay awhile back, and I have a 2 disc set I got recently. The 2 disc one isn't bad but you can see where it is overly compressed in some parts. The 4 disc one has probalby the best quality I've seen so far. neither set I have came with the voyage movie, however since then, there are so many people selling various sets it is hard to keep track. Basically the more DVDs it comes on, the less compression was used on them (in theory).

Ultraman and Spectreman sets can also be had regularly on ebay with the same kind of thing going - different people selling different sets with the number of discs varying. I'd pay top dollar for official sets of all of these robot shows with restored picture and sound but unfortunately I doubt that will ever happen.
Old 10-10-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As has been already posted, Ultraman and Johnny Sokko have been available on Ebay for at least a couple of years now. I got both sets and Space Giants as well and the quality on them is VG. Regarding Giant Robo(anime) It was released in R2 as well as R3 and comes in a box set that features the entire series. It's three discs in total and costs roughly $250.00 online when you can find it. There is a "chinese" version floating around that's R0 and about $35, but the subs are totally illegible and the quality overall is not very good either.
Old 10-11-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I would also love to have this on DVD. I loved watching this as a kid. Also was a big fan of Space Giants which I also would love to have.