DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   SQUARE PEGS TV Series? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/374807-square-pegs-tv-series.html)

JIF 07-14-04 05:22 PM

SQUARE PEGS TV Series?

Anyone else interested in seeing this classic '80s TV series (starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Jami Gertz and Tracy Nelson) on DVD?

Any news?

RobCA 07-14-04 05:57 PM

I'm definitely interested.

It was included in a recent Columbia Tri-Star poll, so at least they're considering it.

Rob

boredsilly 07-14-04 06:39 PM

I thought they would have rushed this through after Sex in the City took off.

Mao 07-14-04 07:35 PM

Yes, I'll take one of these, please!

El Kabong 07-14-04 08:05 PM

Well, they've been remastered. HDNet has been showing them in 16x9 HD & they look pretty good (even chopped). Since they have them, I'd be shocked if they didn't release them. They also show Hogan's Heroes & Charlie's Angels in HD. You don't really notice the matting.

Londo 07-14-04 08:13 PM

Originally posted by El Kabong
Well, they've been remastered. HDNet has been showing them in 16x9 HD & they look pretty good (even chopped). Since they have them, I'd be shocked if they didn't release them. They also show Hogan's Heroes & Charlie's Angels in HD. You don't really notice the matting.
Agreed, I just finished putting them on purple discs and the rematting is EXECELLENT. I've show it to a coupla of people and they could NOT tell it was not done 16:9 to begin with..

JoebobX 07-14-04 09:56 PM

OAR, please. Yes, headroom on composition is a subjective art, but it's no excuse for ANY cropping ANYTIME.

calhoun07 07-15-04 12:05 AM

Originally posted by JoebobX
OAR, please. Yes, headroom on composition is a subjective art, but it's no excuse for ANY cropping ANYTIME.
Exactly! I am shocked that the OAR/Widescreen fanatics on this board are typing the things they are! If one of their precious widescreen movies were matted to full frame, imagine the disgust and sheer anger that would spew forth in their posts. These shows should be aired on HDTV in their original aspect ratio, meaning bars on the sides of the screen. To make them widescreen forcibly is to give into the Joe Six Packs of the HDTV world.

El Kabong 07-15-04 07:12 PM

I'm not saying it's better matted, just not noticable. I think most older shows will eventually have this done once 16x9 sets are the standard, or some people will complain about the black bars on the left & right.

Londo 07-15-04 10:05 PM

actually it's a composite matte.. I recorded them and whilst authoring, it has roughly 10% black bars on the side.. which I did not see when recording... that's right... they were in the overscan...

so instead of the normal chop job, it's about a 10% top/bottom loss and 10% matte left/right...

OAR is better, no question.. but when someone takes the time to make an effort (I have the eps on tape also from an older broadcast, and it's been done with a traveling matte, adjusted on every scene it seems) I'll at least give them props for TRYING to do it right....

I'll try to get the tapes out of storage and make a coupla of screen shots... just for reference.

Mod-Mod-World 07-15-04 10:13 PM

I'd buy this show in a heartbeat. Like Freeks and Geeks, there's only one great season to collect.

Buford T Pusser 07-15-04 11:23 PM

I would buy this. I saw every episode when it aired and liked it, but didn't love it.

grundle 07-24-05 06:09 PM

I love Square Pegs!

I would love to buy the complete series on DVD.

I want the original aspect ratio. And I want the original music.

The Waitresses rule!

In addition to the theme song, they also did "I Know What Boys Like" in the pilot episode. They played at the school dance.

And other episodes had songs by Devo and other performers that I can't even remember now.

And there's that "I'm tired" song (or whatever) at the supermarket (or whereever) sung by that one character. Hilarious stuff!

Big Dave 07-24-05 06:19 PM

Saw some of the episodes on Nick a few years ago and I would definately buy a box-set.

onebyone 07-24-05 06:45 PM

This was my favorite show...for an all too brief period. I would for sure buy this if it came out.

Buford T Pusser 07-24-05 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by onebyone
I would for sure buy this if it came out.

Like totally. Omigosh!

I liked the show when it was on, but I don't remember loving it. Still I'd definitely watch again if it came out on DVD.

SPiRAL 07-25-05 12:01 AM

Like totally, Jenifer DeNuccio was soooo bitchin' !!

Jazzbutcher 07-25-05 08:11 AM

"Totally different head."

Don't forget Kirk's son was in it!

Perkinsun Dzees 07-25-05 02:29 PM

I'd definitely pick this up if it were released on DVD.

calhoun07 07-25-05 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by El Kabong
I'm not saying it's better matted, just not noticable. I think most older shows will eventually have this done once 16x9 sets are the standard, or some people will complain about the black bars on the left & right.

So? Who cares if some people complain? Do the members here give a rat's ass if somebody complains about black bars on the tops and bottoms of their widescreen movies on a regular screen.

As somebody said, this is a Joe Six Packing of the DVDtalk crowd!

RobCA 02-25-08 10:41 AM

This will finally (FINALLY!!) be released on May 20th! Woohoo!!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Squ...te-Series/9059

Rob

MTRodaba2468 02-25-08 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA

Rob

About goddamn time!

Now lets just hope that the original music is used, and that the episodes aren't cut.

boc4ever 02-25-08 08:38 PM

Ditto to the above.

calhoun07 02-25-08 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
About goddamn time!

Now lets just hope that the original music is used, and that the episodes aren't cut.

It's been about 150 years since I've seen this show, but some of the memories I retain from the show is the music, probably more so than even shows like WKRP or Wonder Years (surprisingly, I know!) so I really hope the wait was well worth it. I am quite nervous about this, though...

onebyone 02-25-08 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA

Rob

Oh I just cannot believe it is true!

Thanks for posting I am so excited as I had given up hope of ever getting it.