Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any word on "Donnie Darko: Director's Cut" DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any word on "Donnie Darko: Director's Cut" DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-04, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The INXS replacement was originally the one to be put in. Kelly stated during the panel that they removed it because they didn't have the $$ to put it in the film originally. Though Echo and the bunnymen's Killing moon song is still in the film, I think it's in a much better place then it was originally.

Kelly mentioned that he writes the soundtrack directly to the screen play. Takes after the MTV music video artist in that aspect. Making scenes from the film look sort of like what an older Music video would be like. Hell, you can tell that a lot from the original version of donnie darko.

I would suggest the directors cut to anyone who enjoyed the original. it has a bit more of a point and shoot to the ending so that you can walk away from it with a bit more clearity on what exactly is going on. Also the added touches to the family connection is nice.
Old 07-24-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where is this playing in LA?
Old 07-24-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
arclight in hollywood and in pasadena
Old 07-28-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one and only Kevin Smith is recording a commentary track for the forthcoming Director's Cut DVD. How awesome is that?!!!

http://viewaskew.com/theboard/viewto...hlight=#246588

(Contains spoilers so tread carefully)
Old 07-28-04, 03:56 PM

Kevin Smith? What is the connection here? Seems completely out of left field. I do not like Kevin Smith or his films so I cannot say I am excited over this news. Kind of downgrades the whole thing for me.
Old 07-28-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Doesn't sound like there's any reason for Kevin's involvment. He' was just chosen (or volunteered?) to ask questions to help with the commentary.
Old 07-28-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Doesn't sound like there's any reason for Kevin's involvment. He' was just chosen (or volunteered?) to ask questions to help with the commentary.
In a related story, Kevin's involvement with DD's DVD likely stems from his project with directory Richard Kelly, "Southland Tales". In this snippet from Antony's new column at the 'Shoot, Kelly makes his first comment on this project:
Says Kelly, "Yeah, Kevin Smith's going to be in it, sort of in an extended cameo." Will we hear Kevin sing? "Oh, I don't think so. But he is going to be working with the choreographer. He may very well do some dancing."
He's made it known at many a Q&A that he's not gonna dance on stage, so we can't help but wonder how Kelly's gonna talk him into it! Should be a very interesting project to keep an eye on...
From NewsAskew.com
Old 07-28-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Squirrel God
The one and only Kevin Smith is recording a commentary track for the forthcoming Director's Cut DVD. How awesome is that?!!!
Pretty damn awesome. Can't wait to pick this up.

Rob
Old 07-28-04, 05:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Any rough date at all?
Old 07-29-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another reason to like Kevin Smith; he asked the VA fans what they wanted him to ask Kelly on the commentary.

Love him or hate him, he'll never make a bad comm...
Old 07-29-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by cfloyd3
Kevin Smith? What is the connection here? Seems completely out of left field. I do not like Kevin Smith or his films so I cannot say I am excited over this news. Kind of downgrades the whole thing for me.
I agree. I am less likely to purchase the disc, just to spite him.
Old 07-29-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kevin Smith? What is the connection here?
Richard Kelly is a *huge* Kevin Smith fan and has cast Smith (as well as Jason Lee and possibly another Smith staple) in his next film. So he's being interviewed by Smith for the new commentary, a la the Soderbergh/LaBute 'sex, lies' one, or the Soderbergh/Nichols 'Catch-22' one.

If you're not a fan, then I assume you've never heard one of his commentaries, so you should know, they're quite entertaining.
Old 07-29-04, 10:52 AM

I figured to see a reply to mock the statement I made soon. I was meaning the commentary was downgraded for me if he was going to be involved. I am one of the few I am assuming who paid almost $30 for the Donnie Darko DVD (first came out area) so me being a fan doesn't really get changed if this DVD will be more worthwhile.
Old 07-29-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree with Cfloyd, even though I may enjoy Smith's films I see no real advantage to this

Another reason to like Kevin Smith; he asked the VA fans what they wanted him to ask Kelly on the commentary.
Richard Kelly is still not going to answer the question the VA fans are going to ask him to ask. Namely that is the number 1 question asked to kelly which he never answers. "What is the meaning of the film/Explain it please."

Richard Kelly has always giveb the cop out answer to it as "what does it mean to you" whenever asked. Then again I have to wonder how many fans of Smith's poop and fart joke world are actually fans of Donnie Darko??
Old 07-29-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Richard Kelly is still not going to answer the question the VA fans are going to ask him to ask. Namely that is the number 1 question asked to kelly which he never answers. "What is the meaning of the film/Explain it please."
Jack, read the linked page before you generalize...
Originally posted by director Kevin Smith
Serious questions only, please - from folks who are fans of the film (or are at least extremely familiar with the film). Crap like "I never saw that movie. Is it good?" or "What the hell was that movie about?" will earn you a banning.
Old 07-29-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Then again I have to wonder how many fans of Smith's poop and fart joke world are actually fans of Donnie Darko??
Yeah, I mean, it's not like that Smurf-sex scene was blatantly screaming "This is a pop culture reference scene like in a Kevin Smith movie" or anything...
Old 07-30-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I figured to see a reply to mock the statement I made soon.
Actually, I wasn't mocking you. I was genuinely agreeing with you. I really hate Kevin Smith exactly that much.
Old 07-31-04, 03:42 PM

agreed on all counts. Why not have like, the Director of Photography or someone come back for the commentary instead of some random other director who is completely unrelated to the movie's production?
Old 07-31-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Yeah, I mean, it's not like that Smurf-sex scene was blatantly screaming "This is a pop culture reference scene like in a Kevin Smith movie" or anything...

Thanks for the witty remake, I'm sure you took your time to construct it. I award you for it.. Now the real question, does this film appeal to the same audiance as jay and silent bob strike back?

the two are different regardless of what similiar joke they may tell. The real point is I don't see why bring in smith? put someone in there that actually had some connection to the film.

Have drew ask the questions.
Old 08-13-04, 08:21 AM

NPR had an interesting segment on Donnie Darko this morning. It's not on the website yet but if you check www.npr.org they should upload it before too long I imagine (I'm really not familiar w/ how NPR does this things though). There wasn't anything about the DVD release unfortunately but it contained interview segments w/ the director talking about what was added/changed. There was a little bit about the "phenomenon" behind the movie as well (how it didn't do well in theaters but found life at midnight shows and on DVD, etc).
Old 08-13-04, 02:01 PM

So the 2 disc set will definitely contain BOTH versions of the film, correct? They aren't going to try and pull some Apocalypse Now Redux sham, right?

Last edited by emhello; 08-13-04 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-13-04, 02:43 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by emhello
So the 2 disc set will definitely contain BOTH versions of the film, correct? They aren't going to try and pull some Apocalypse Now Redux sham, right?
Quite the opposite - they have stated that the new version will NOT contain the theatrical cut, nor will it have any of the special features from the original disc.
Old 08-13-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Good to know. Won't sell off my original DVD now.
Old 08-13-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

you can't get much for it anyways. shit, it's only 7.29 at the studio store.
Old 08-19-04, 01:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
any new rumoured date if and when the DC will get released? (before the end of the year??)