Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you have a favorite movie studio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 03:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have a favorite movie studio?

This question can relate to dvds or the company in general or the insignia or logo.
Old 07-12-04, 09:35 AM
Suspended

It's gotta be Rhino for me. GI Joe, Transformers, Jem, Land of the Lost, HR Puffnstuff, The Monkees, MST3K - talk about a great lineup of discs! Nobody beats them, pound for pound, for entertainment value.
Old 06-25-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured I'd go ahead and bump this thread. It's been a year since it's been discussed, and even then, there was only one response (and, ironically, neither of these guys will be partaking in the discussion since they've both been suspended).

I got to thinking about this with my recent wave of purchases. I've noticed that four of my purchases in the last week or two have come from Paramount (The United States of Leland, Serpico, The Machinist, and The Wool Cap). I've collected Criterion titles for a while now, and have been pleased. Warner is also responsible for a large chunk of my collection due to their superb 2-disc treatment of many classics.

So, my question is...which studio is your favorite? Ever notice any studio trends in your collection (or do you ever go out of your way to pick up titles from a certain studio based on their reputation, or how you've liked their recent wave of films)?

Stats for my collection, as of right now:

Universal: 72
-DreamWorks: 13
-Focus Features: 7
Criterion: 67
Columbia Tri-Star: 60
Warner: 59
-BBC: 1
Buena Vista: 52
-Dimension: 9
-Disney: 8
-Hollywood Pictures: 2
-Miramax: 22
-Touchstone: 11
20th Century Fox: 47
Paramount: 43
MGM: 41
New Line: 27
Artisan: 20
-Republic: 1
Lions Gate: 13
Anchor Bay: 7
Image Entertainment: 7
Sony: 5
Trimark: 5
HBO: 5
Palm Pictures: 4
USA Home Entertainment: 3
Polygram: 3
Platinum: 2

Others (one from each of these):
Media Blasters
-Tokyo Shock
Remstar
Animation Show LLC
Xenon
Ryko Distribution
-Synapse
New Yorker
Fox Lorber
Passport
Empire Pictures
Hart Sharp Video

I was really surprised to see Universal that high, since I rarely go out of my way to purchase their titles. That is...I'll often buy a Criterion release or a Warner 2-disc classic film simply because I trust the taste and quality of those studios. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, Universal comes in with the most releases in my collection.

For anybody who wants to search for any trends in their collection...if you have your collection on DVDAF, just do a page-search for each studio. Every time you hit "find next," count up a number in your head, until you reach the end of your collection. Then go through and add the extras for the boxed sets, and you'll have your totals. Took me 5 minutes or so to go through and figure up the totals.

Anyway...bump. Feel free to discuss.

Edited to add sister company/association totals (Mirimax, Touchstone, Dreamworks, Disney, etc).

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 06-25-05 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-25-05, 12:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The Criterion Collection 52
MGM 50
Warner Home Video 39
Paramount 28
Columbia Tri-Star 28
Universal 25
20th Century Fox 20
New Line 16
Miramax 12
Kino 9
Artisan 9
Arrow Films 8
Artificial Eye 6
Ruscico 5
Image Entertainment 4
Momentum 3
Metrodome 3
Tartan 2
MK2 2
and various singles

of those Criterion, Artificial Eye, MK2, Ruscico and Tartan are my favorite.
Old 06-25-05, 05:50 PM

My favorites are WB, Anchor Bay, and Criterion. Least favorite by far is Universal. WB titles represent the largest chunk of my collection and would be even larger if they would re-issue all their old snapper case releases in keepcases ala New Line.
Old 06-25-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
In general I've always been into anything Universal-International from late 40s to early 60s.
Old 06-25-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Blue Underground
Mondo Macabro

And starting to impress......No Shame.

Old 06-25-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Miramax and Warner just like the movies they put out.

I dislike Fox, getting sick of the better releases in other regions and releaseing SE's 6 months later.
Old 06-25-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Criterion and Warner are my favorites.

Criterion - 122
Warner Bros. 2-Disc - 40
Old 06-25-05, 08:46 PM

For companies which release DVD content, Criterion, Warner, Blue Underground, Fox & Anchor Bay.
Old 06-25-05, 08:55 PM

Based on home video releases. Keep in mind that 90% of my purchases are classic films.

Warners is my favorite. Noone else comes close.

Second would be Universal if only because they put out good DVDs of their classic films and they're cheap.

Least favorite is Fox. Until they get someone in house who understands their classic catalog and how to market it; they're going to look second rate.
Old 06-25-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Drake
Based on home video releases. Keep in mind that 90% of my purchases are classic films.

Warners is my favorite. Noone else comes close.

Second would be Universal if only because they put out good DVDs of their classic films and they're cheap.

Least favorite is Fox. Until they get someone in house who understands their classic catalog and how to market it; they're going to look second rate.
I would say you should switch Fox and Universal. Universal has yet to release a widescreen version of The Sting. (Yes, I know it's coming out)

While Fox releases quality classic films inexpensively.
Old 06-25-05, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I would say you should switch Fox and Universal. Universal has yet to release a widescreen version of The Sting. (Yes, I know it's coming out)

While Fox releases quality classic films inexpensively.
Agreed. Fox is really opening the floodgates with good looking classics on DVD at prices under 10 bucks.
The Studio Classics line, the film noir line, all the westerns they released last month, The Man Who Never Was a couple of weeks ago. Then you add the licence deals Fox has in place with Anchor Bay & Criterion and you are looking at another venue for Fox produced movies.
I'll agree Warner is king when it comes to classic cinema but Fox comes in second according to my wallet.
Old 06-25-05, 11:28 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Due to the way I looked at these in DVD Profiler, there may be some overlaps (Annie Get Your Gun is listed under MGM, but it was released by WB.)
I didn't bother with box sets, but from what I can tell, my biggest studios are:
  • Pioneer/Geneon - I have about 145 titles, mostly anime
  • ADV - 80 titles, all anime
  • Bandai - 77 titles, again all anime
  • Disney - 56 titles
  • 20th Century Fox - 54 titles
  • MGM - 50 titles
  • Anchor Bay - 42 titles
  • Warner Brothers - 41 titles
  • Columbia/Tristar - 31 titles
  • Universal - 27 titles
  • Criterion - 25 titles
As you can tell, I like anime, and Pioneer (now Geneon,) ADV, and Bandai have all done well on releasing shows that I like.

I collect the Disney Animated Classics, as well as the Walt Disney Treasures. Those, along with the Pixar films and a few live-action titles bump my Disney collection up pretty high.

I collect quite a few of the Anchor Bay titles, especially the limited editions and horror. I also have been slowly collecting the Criterions.

20th Century Fox has some good titles, as does Columbia/Tristar, MGM, Warner Brothers, and Universal. However, many of my DVDs from these studios are picked more by the title of the DVD, than the studio. 20th Century Fox is probably higher because of some of the TV sets. Of course, I do enjoy the classic films from WB, Universal, MGM/UA, etc.
Old 06-26-05, 08:00 AM

Warner Home Video is my favorite. With the exception of Ocean's Twelve, most of their new releases are great. Also, if the new releases have different versions, they at least all come out on the same day. Warner does a wonderful job re-releasing titles that actually need the double dip.

Fox and Universal are my least favorites.
Old 06-26-05, 08:31 AM

How do you get the total by studio using DVD Profiler? I can look at it from my graph, but there are so many studios in the graph, that it's too hard to read it from the graph.

Anyways, my top 5 DVD collections by studios are:
WB
Fox
Paramount
Criterion
Universal

I actually like my Disney collection the best because I don't have any problem (skips, freezes, video pixelation problem) with my Disney discs as I have with DVDs from other studios.
Old 06-26-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I adore Criterion, I hesitate to say that they would be my "favorite," since a) they're not a movie studio, and b) even though there are about thirty or so releases of theirs that I love and own, there are still about 270 that I haven't seen or don't want. But still, for the titles that I like and own, Criterion is probably the most consistent and my "favorite."

But in terms of studios, Fox used to be #1, but has slipped over this past year. Still, their Classics line is commendable, and they are committed to OAR.

I guess Warner Bros., in terms of quality product and detail. Paramount does solid picture and sound, but their extra features are generally poor (fluffy featurettes, unskippable opening logos, etc.). New Line is always consistent, though without a large library. Disney is good when they want to be (animated titles, classics), but really bad when they "slip up." Universal, however, is consistently poor, and although there are signs that they're digging themselves out, they have a long way to go.

Sony, though, is the absolute worst studio for DVDs. From cramming tons of episodes of TV shows onto a disc to quietly deleting OAR editions of older releases to re-re-re-releasing titles and everything else, they are my least favorite.