DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   "Zombie" vs. "Zombi 2"...is the difference only 1 disc? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/374225-zombie-vs-zombi-2-difference-only-1-disc.html)

OldBoy 07-11-04 09:19 AM

"Zombie" vs. "Zombi 2"...is the difference only 1 disc?

I was looking at DVD Talk's Release list and it has Fulci's "Zombie" and "Zombi 2' (sans e) listed as coming out on 7/27. One seems to be a 2 disc restored version with all the bru-ha ha of a new release.
Is the other version listed just a 1 disc re-release of the same exact movie??
And correct me if I am wrong but they are both re-releases of this version...
http://www.houseofhorrors.com/zombox.jpg
I just want to get this straight before I preorder because I have the above pic version and would like the 2 disc if better and with all the names and incarnations it gets confusing. So someone, please for me, for all...shed light on the matter. Thanks.

Zodiac_Speaking 07-11-04 09:33 AM

You're correct. Two companies, same movie. Both, however, are uncut and restored. If you want the best A/V, then go with Blue Underground (my new fav dvd company), but if you're excited to see some extras then go with the Image version, which is the two discer.

ILSA 07-11-04 10:20 AM

It's not Image, it's a Shriek Show release.

ILSA

OldBoy 07-11-04 10:48 AM

Wait...2 totally different companies that have nothing to do with each other and the 1 discer will be the one with the better quality image???

And will both be better a/v wise than the original Anchor Bay? I just hope DVD Talk reviews both of them!

oh the horror...

manicsounds 07-11-04 10:52 AM

Media Blasters:

-Never-before-released, uncut version of the film, fully remastered
-Over 2 hours of interviews with cast members, cinematographers, special effects artists, and more, plus commentary, extensive photo gallery, and poster-reproduction inserts
-Dolby Digital Stereo
-91 minutes
-Widescreen anamorphic format 1.85:1 (which is probably wrong)

Blue Underground:
(remastered from itfs original camera negative)

-Uncut version of the film
-Theatrical Trailers
-TV Spots
-Radio Spots
-Poster & Still Galleries
-Lucio Fulci Bio
-Dolby Digital Mono
-92 Mins
-Widescreen Anamorphic 2.35:1

i ask why why why are these 2 companies doing this?

Another thing that I'm unsure with....
Media Blasters does list "English Dolby Digital Stereo"
but the imdb lists the original language as "Italian" hmm....

also, both sets seem to be missing the commentary
from the Anchor Bay disc with Ian McCulloch (not Echo and the Bunnymen) and Jason J Slater (of Diabolik magazine)
and also their (English) 5.1 remix.....

I'll just have to wait for reviews to come out before a decision

cultshock 07-11-04 11:30 AM

Due to a rights mixup/legal issue, both companies were allowed to do a DVD release of this title. Both companies had the same source print to work from, but BU did a bit more tweaking and cleaning up (as well as doing a 5.1 audio remix), so their disc may look better. The Shriekshow disc will have a commentary with Ian McCulloch.

Zodiac_Speaking 07-11-04 11:33 AM

Originally posted by ILSA
It's not Image, it's a Shriek Show release.

ILSA

You're correct.

But I never heard of Shriek Show before, so I would have hestations. Blue Underground hasn't disappointed me yet, but this is a rare release in which they don't have atleast an interview of sorts. Go to www.blue-undergound.com and they'll have updates and trailers and news.

delirium 07-11-04 12:35 PM

audio

Originally posted by manicsounds

Another thing that I'm unsure with....
Media Blasters does list "English Dolby Digital Stereo"
but the imdb lists the original language as "Italian" hmm....

Shriek Show's will have an English DD 2.0 track.

Blue Underground's will have (newly remixed) English 5.1, 2.0, and mono in addition to Italian 5.1, 2.0 and mono tracks, with optional English subtitles.

Italian productions such as Zombie had the actors speaking their own language on the set and all dialogue was dubbed in post production, so "original language" is kind of a misnomer. Zombie is one of many Italian films with an English-speaking lead.

asianxcore 07-11-04 12:45 PM

I hope they are both cheap when they come out, looks like I might get both.

gutwrencher 07-11-04 12:48 PM

my decision was made a few months ago....I'll be getting both.

Romerojpg 07-11-04 01:05 PM

why are they listed as 91 and 92 minutes then?

are they the same cut or not, if so why list 2 different running times, and thats crap news about the 2 disc version not having 5.1 :( looks like I will have to get both after all.

not sure why Blue Underground havnt done much extras! we know they can, so whats up with that? are they going to do another version in a few months? just doesnt make any sense.

RichDB10 07-11-04 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Romerojpg
not sure why Blue Underground havent done much extras! we know they can, so whats up with that? are they going to do another version in a few months? just doesnt make any sense.
It is my understanding that various negotiations between representatives of SS and BU culminated with SS being allowed to release this SE for the time being at least....some way down the line, no idea of a timescale, the rights will eventually belong solely to BU who by all accounts will release a full blown SE some time in the future.
That's what i've been lead to believe at any rate judging by reading remarks on various websites etc

Sunday Morning 07-11-04 01:48 PM

if you really, really care about the picture you'd go for the blue underground.

if you are an extras junkie, you'd go for the shriek show.

and if you are both... you'd buy both.

delirium 07-11-04 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Romerojpg
why are they listed as 91 and 92 minutes then?

That's a minor discrepancy. There will be no difference in time. Both companies are literally sharing the same master made from an uncut Italian print of the film.

Romerojpg 07-11-04 01:55 PM

Ahh nice to know they are identical prints (well apart from restoration that is) :)

it makes you wonder what will happen a few years down the line, and as long as each dvd improves on the last its only a good thing.
As the 2 dvd version is out 1st may as well pick it up, and when them great reviews pop up about BUs version and that the transfer and sound blow the MB/SS version away, I will pick BUs version. :)

Is there any final artwork for both, as the old cover knocking about for the Mediablasters/Shriek Show version was fine, but is that still the final artwork?

Julie Walker 07-11-04 03:35 PM

I am sure the 5.1 mixes will be a huge waste and sound horrible,which lets face it the AB remix was terrible and I doubt they can make it sound any 'better'. So original mono all the way for this title :D

So picture quality and or extras quality along with the originla audio mix should be the main decisions over 5.1. Pretty much you can't go wrong with Blue Underground. At least they offer you a choice in mixes. I am not sure about SS though.

salamander2 07-11-04 06:09 PM

this is one of those titles I shall await the reviews to make sure BU has the better picture quality. As for now I am betting on picking up the SS DVD. They havent failed me on extras before, so I dont see a problem.

Josh-da-man 07-11-04 07:57 PM

Just a quick primer on the history of this movie:

George Romero makes "Dawn of the Dead."

"Dawn of the Dead" is released in Europe, with a re-edit by Dario Argento, as "Zombi." (This version will be on the upcoming big-assed "Dawn of the Dead" boxed set from Anchor Bay this fall.)

Lucio Fulci makes an unofficial sequel to Romero/Argento's "Zombi" and it's called "Zombi 2."

Fulci's "Zombi 2" is released in the USA under the title "Zombie." This is the movie that goes with the above poster "We Are Going to Eat You!"

Anchor Bay had previously released "Zombie" with a shitty transfer, with the rotting head and "We Are Going to Eat You!" tagline.

There was some kind of rights struggle over the movie, with both Shriek Show and Blue Underground claiming rights to the movie after Anchor Bay's rights lapsed. Shriek Show had been planning a 2-disc SE of the movie for quite some time, and it was actually solicited for release last year and pulled at the last minute.

Anyway, everything seems to be sorted out, with SS putting out their planned 2-disc SE, and BU releasing the same movie (with similar cover art) as a bare-bones (or mostly bare-bones) edition. I have heard rumors that both versions would have the same transfer, but I don't know if that has been confirmed or not.

smokedragon 07-12-04 12:16 AM

I actually prefer the U.K. title Zombie Flesh Eaters. Loved the poster for it as well.

I'll be getting the Blue Underground disc mainly because I've heard that Shriek Show has had problems with their other releases. Didn't they release Slaughter Hotel?heard there was some problems with that disc.

gutwrencher 07-12-04 01:50 PM

Originally posted by smokedragon
Didn't they release Slaughter Hotel?heard there was some problems with that disc.
like a huge audio problem...uncalled for. somebody fell asleep during that one, it's the only excuse.

SS is hit and miss.

steebo777 07-12-04 02:03 PM

I'll be sticking with the 1 disc version myself.

Cedrock 07-12-04 07:05 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd i see that (2010 release hmmm) and that http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=dvd, both are media blaster company. But one is one disc one is 2. Im totall confused now, i dont see a BU version and htats the one i wanted because i prefer video quality over extras

Sweet Baby James 07-12-04 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Cedrock
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd i see that (2010 release hmmm) and that http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance&s=dvd, both are media blaster company. But one is one disc one is 2. Im totall confused now, i dont see a BU version and htats the one i wanted because i prefer video quality over extras
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
You have to spell it with an E at the end to find the Blue Underground version.

OldBoy 07-12-04 07:51 PM

or just use the DVD Talk Release list and they will have the correct links for both at Amazon. Supposedly both same day 7.27.

Mok 07-12-04 09:24 PM

This is a tough one Deep Discount has the 2 disc up for only
$17.98 its so tempting.