Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th: Official Paramount press release

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Friday the 13th: Official Paramount press release

Old 07-21-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mljones99
I will definitly be picking this set up.

Same here, I can't wait!
Old 07-21-04, 07:03 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I actually think the new artwork is a huge improvement. Still not perfect, but a lot better. 1 & 2 is the best, but it IS loaded with spoilers. But for me as a longtime fan who knows what's coming, I like it. I think the Sackhead Jason pic on the disc is great, too. The 3 & 4 stuff is great, too. 5 & 6 I'm torn on. They still are using the generic part 5 art, but did use the original 6 art. 7 & 8 are a little disappointing, with 7 using that generic artwork again. At least the newer style art on part 8 is themed to the film.

On a side note, I finally saw Part 3 in 3d today. I loved it. It just makes the movie so much better. All the cheesy "aiming stuff at the camera" shots are suddenly fun. You start eagerly awaiting the next one... "Ooh, the pitchfork is coming up!!!"
Old 07-21-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by caiman
Am I the only one here who is extremely excited for this? Commentaries, deleted scenes, tons of featurettes, kick ass packaging, and only $60. This is a must buy for me.
Hell no man, I'm pumped up and ready to buy, Jason's my boy - always has been and always will be
Old 07-21-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the links to the artwork as well - I for one think it's great
Old 07-21-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am pretty excited about this release also. Yes, it could be better but since I don't have any of these movies, I will take what I can get.
Old 07-22-04, 03:20 AM

The artwork looks like the Lakeshore Entertainment logo. With a mask.
Old 07-22-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm reaaaaaaaaaaally undecided on this. I already have the first eight films on DVD, and I don't really care enough to want to see all the extras. The only way I may buy this, is to save space on my DVD racks. I could probably just trade in Friday The 13ths at FYE and add a little cash for the set, but I don't like the whole 'thin pack' with two films per disc format at all. They could have easily done a great looking cardboard flip set. My decision to possibly not buy is not based on this stupid '3 D' debate or the debate over the mono sound, I could care less.
Old 07-22-04, 10:21 AM

I will still definitely be buying this -- even though at first I was going to boycott it because it was not released uncut.
Old 07-22-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

now could uncut versions be even possible? i mean, with the exception of part 1, they would have to spend alot of money finding and restoring all of them.
also, each movie is about 90 minutes, so thats only about 3 hours per disc. i mean look at how good rotk looks.
Old 07-22-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
oh god, do we really need that heavy spoiler for part 1 as the cover art? even though the majority of us know how it ends, the original poster art would have been better.
That's bad, but not near as bad as the morons over the Sleepaway Camp box set, as they spoiled the ending of the first one in the description on the back of the DVD box. I couldn't believe that they did something that stupid.
Old 07-22-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
now could uncut versions be even possible? i mean, with the exception of part 1, they would have to spend alot of money finding and restoring all of them.
also, each movie is about 90 minutes, so thats only about 3 hours per disc. i mean look at how good rotk looks.
Perhaps, but couldn't we have gotten part 1 at LEAST?
We know it exists in pristine format; Warner has released it in every other region. I don't feel like buying this box THEN importing the first movie.
Old 07-22-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
That's bad, but not near as bad as the morons over the Sleepaway Camp box set, as they spoiled the ending of the first one in the description on the back of the DVD box. I couldn't believe that they did something that stupid.
Yeah, I really can't stand it when companies decide to ruin movies like that right on the description of the case. But in all fairness, I think they did that because they figure only the small fanbase for the Sleepaway Camp films will purchase this set, these films are really not well known among a lot of people at all. They figure they would release this set on the assumption only people who've already grown up seeing those films, would ever buy the set. But all in all, really stupid thing to do anyway.
Old 07-22-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the set, only because of how many people I've heard through the years say that the first film at least, is a "must see" with one of the weirdest endings ever to a film.

I had never seen any of the films, I never saw anywhere where I could watch them in my area untill the box set.

On my way home from the record store where I picked the set up, while at a red-light, I read the back of the box and had the ending spoiled for me, the reason I bought the set. I couldn't have been more pissed off.

I also don't understand why some DVDs have the ending, and various important scenes, spoiled in the DVD menus, that is just so stupid. I think one that does this is The Usual Suspects.
Old 07-22-04, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by DRG
Well, I actually think the new artwork is a huge improvement. Still not perfect, but a lot better. 1 & 2 is the best, but it IS loaded with spoilers. But for me as a longtime fan who knows what's coming, I like it. I think the Sackhead Jason pic on the disc is great, too. The 3 & 4 stuff is great, too. 5 & 6 I'm torn on. They still are using the generic part 5 art, but did use the original 6 art. 7 & 8 are a little disappointing, with 7 using that generic artwork again. At least the newer style art on part 8 is themed to the film.

On a side note, I finally saw Part 3 in 3d today. I loved it. It just makes the movie so much better. All the cheesy "aiming stuff at the camera" shots are suddenly fun. You start eagerly awaiting the next one... "Ooh, the pitchfork is coming up!!!"
This is the only one I'd actually pay for if they ever managed to release it on DVD in 3D.
Old 07-22-04, 03:48 PM
Banned

If its $50...Ill get it...
Old 08-08-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Im definitly OUT!
I wouldnt pay this much myself.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category
$99.99 pre-order
I know it will go down but I dont think that much.
Old 08-08-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't pay that much either, so here is this.

$57.60

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 08-08-04 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-08-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But does it come with the 29-minute bonus disc, Jason Forever!
Old 08-08-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That BB price isn't right. Amazon has MSRP listed as $79.99 and they have it for $55.99 .

Once BB gets their act together, it might turn out to be the best deal when you toss in the extra disc.
Old 08-08-04, 09:18 PM

Ordered mine already

I can't begin to tell you how long I waited for this...I pre ordered mine from deepdiscountdvd.com

now all I need is that Top Gun SE

DVD's it's a good thing

Mark
Old 09-22-04, 03:58 PM

So you only get another free dvd if you buy at Best Buy! thats not fair!

and I paid $50 for mine and am pleased about that, when worked out per film its still great as I dont own any of them, but still cannot see full uncut versions ever coming out, some people will be waiting a very long time.

anyone know how long any of these special features are? if they are 2 minutes Featuretes then I will definaltly be an angry git!
Old 09-22-04, 05:04 PM
Suspended

No 3-D on Part 3, no sale!
Sorry not picking this up. :thumbsdown:
Old 09-22-04, 06:42 PM

Martin Blythe spoke to Fangoria about how finding footage is an on-going search and how this could lead to single disc special editions. I, personally, don't really care anymore what happens, it's just depressing at this point.

"This is not about gouging the fans with repeated releases, its about providing as good a set as we are physically able to do at this time. If there is enough interest from the fan base and it sells well, we would always entertain another look down the road."

"If the set is successful, it could lead to single disc special editions down the road, possibly with unrated gore put back into the films."
Old 09-22-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not picking this up for sure now. I want the bonus features(bonus disc), but there arent enough for me to replace all the ones I have now (in their spiffy custom matching cases) especially w/ 2 on a disc now. Maybe down the line they'll release uncut, oh well
Old 09-22-04, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by ChristopherS
"If the set is successful, it could lead to single disc special editions down the road, possibly with unrated gore put back into the films."
Ouch - well, that's bumped these from "I might get them next time DDD does a 20% sale" to a rental. I like the films, but not enough to double dip for the more gore versions in the future.

Sorry, Paramount - you done fucked up on dat one!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.