DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Monk - Season 1... No Sound on Bonus Features (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/371961-monk-season-1-no-sound-bonus-features.html)

leeta 06-27-04 02:47 PM

Monk - Season 1... No Sound on Bonus Features

I just got through watching the 4-disc set of Monk (Tony Shalhoub). When I got to the bonus features, there was no sound... only the music soundtrack played.

Do I just have a bad disc or is this a problem with the release? :confused: The actual episodes played fine.

EskimoJoe 06-27-04 09:06 PM

I wanted to buy this one too, does anybody know?

OREOSpeedwagon 06-27-04 09:27 PM

yikes i don't want to buy it if this is happening. info please!

nemein 06-27-04 10:28 PM

I didn't play them all the way through but just a snippet from each seems to be ok on my copy.

RobCA 06-28-04 12:08 AM

From the review over at TVShowsOnDVD:

The audio is messed up with these featurettes. The voices come from the rear speakers while the music comes from the front three. Very strange.
Could that have something to do with the problem you're having?

Rob

leeta 06-28-04 12:22 AM

Originally posted by RobCA
From the review over at TVShowsOnDVD: Could that have something to do with the problem you're having?

Rob

That is exactly the problem I'm having. You can hear some sound (like a buzz).. but can't tell what they're saying.

Monk is one of my favorite shows and I feel cheated that the extras are screwed up. I thought it probably was a release problem since everything else worked fine.

Is Universal going to do anything about this?? I know that's a stupid question. :rolleyes:

leeta 06-28-04 08:41 AM

I tried it on a player in another room and it worked okay...

matome 06-28-04 08:51 AM

Wow, I should be getting mine any day. I'll keep an eye out.

emanon 06-28-04 02:23 PM

Whoops - read the title as "No Sound or Bonus Features"...I was gonna say, no bonus features, perhaps...but no sound = no sale! :)

TheV 06-28-04 08:01 PM

It's REVERSED!!!!

The audio is there...but it's phase inversed. Which means it's louder in the back speakers than the front. It's annoying but not worth my time to care for bonus features. If you have 5.1 or 7.1 then you'll notice...but if you've got stereo or listen on your computer then it's fine. At this late date it's a stupid, stupid mistake. Hopefully someone will get fired for this but personally I still love my set. (Of course if they recall it I'd appreciate trading it in for the correct audio.)

TheV 07-22-04 12:51 AM

So am I the only one who watched these on a 5.1 system? Or maybe this is not with all the sets? I might need to replace it if someone knows for sure that their set isn't phase inversed.

Cornelius1047 07-22-04 02:23 AM

The sound on the bonus features is in 5.1?! That's new to me.

K

TheV 07-22-04 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
The sound on the bonus features is in 5.1?! That's new to me.

Maybe not...though the box does say Dolby Surround (5.1) but it's authored wrong. So if you have a 5.1 system then it will be really quiet in your front speakers and loud in the back. So if you've got a 5.1 system but don't have the rear speakers installed I could imagine the problem above where there seems to be no sound.

TV

RockyMtnBri 07-22-04 10:56 AM

I watched them on my DVD player that is only hooked up to the TV sound-wise and it was fine. This is a great set - can't wait until season 2!

TheV 07-25-04 06:40 PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBri
I watched them on my DVD player that is only hooked up to the TV sound-wise and it was fine.
You do understand that it's still messed up right? Watching it on a 2.0 system doesn't tell you anything about inversed audio since you don't have enough speakers to inverse. Still...like I said before, it's not that big of deal for me since the audio is only screwed up on those extras.

TV

TheV 08-16-04 04:53 AM

Any signs of a recall for the monk extras disc since the audio appears to be a problem on everyone's DVD?

nemein 08-21-04 05:21 AM

It must not be on all of them though. In my new setup the DVD player audio is not connected to the TV at all so you have to play it through the amp/5.1 system (when I did the previous test I had a different setup and was listening to it through the TV). I went through these last night and everything seemed fine.