DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The original Twilight Zone: Season One coming December 28! (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/371726-original-twilight-zone-season-one-coming-december-28-merged.html)

jmj713 06-25-04 04:40 PM

The original Twilight Zone: Season One coming December 28!

COOL!

http://usatoday.printthis.clickabili...partnerID=1663

Gerry P. 06-25-04 04:43 PM

$120 per season.

What a rip.

nemein 06-25-04 04:45 PM

I still don't understand what the big deal is w/ having this on a season by season basis :hscratch: Each to their own though...

RichardW 06-25-04 04:49 PM

Originally posted by nemein
I still don't understand what the big deal is w/ having this on a season by season basis.
It's the way TV on DVD is meant to be. :D

Walter Neff 06-25-04 04:51 PM

I still don't understand what the big deal is w/ having this on a season by season basis :hscratch: Each to their own though...
Given the choice, I would choose to have them in season sets, just to see how the series developed. (One season, if I remember correctly, was comprised of nothing but hour-long episodes, so it'd be nice to have all those together.) But overall, I agree with you, it's not as important to have them in season-set order when it's an anthology series like "The Twilight Zone."

MSD 06-25-04 04:59 PM

Image will release all 63 episodes of the mid-1980s Twilight Zone as well, with season one ($70) also slated for release Dec. 28. Seasons 2 and 3 will be packaged together in one box set ($70) slated for release in March.
Can't wait!

bboisvert 06-25-04 05:18 PM

I already have the chronological set that was put out (limited to 2500 copies, I believe), so I was about to dismiss this news. Then I saw:

"with high-definition transfers. The five box sets, which will retail for $120 each, will be packed with special features, including commentaries from surviving cast and crew members."

Sold! :thumbsup: :)

I'm also looking forward to picking up the mid-80s version, which had a lot of bright moments (with a bit of crap mixed in). I'll be skipping the UPN incarnation. :yack:

jkester 06-25-04 05:26 PM

wow. i almost bought the whole set this week. glad i waited.

buckee1 06-25-04 05:38 PM

Excellent, excellent news Can't wait to get all of the original's season box sets!!!

Sessa17 06-25-04 05:52 PM

I say all the time how much I loathe TV & hate TV on DVD, but this is one TV show & box Set I can't pass up. It's the extras that suck me in.

calhoun07 06-25-04 06:38 PM

Damn! Dec 28th makes it too late for me to get it cheap from Deep Discount DVD with their 20% off Christmas sale!

nemein 06-25-04 06:52 PM

"with high-definition transfers. The five box sets, which will retail for $120 each, will be packed with special features, including commentaries from surviving cast and crew members."
Now commentaries may mean I end up double dipping on this ;)

JONA99 06-25-04 07:03 PM

I still don't understand what the big deal is w/ having this on a season by season basis

It's much better than the current TZ Collection box sets, with episodes that aren't (as some have said) placed in random order, but are instead often grouped by theme.

For instance, one of the discs in the first set is all "the dead return from the grave" episodes. When they're grouped like this, watching one disc all the way through gets awfully repetitive. I got rid of mine for this very reason.

Another advantage of season sets -- you can skip the bad years. I don't like the hour-long TZ episodes, and they're all in the fourth season, so that's the set I'll do without. (Just like I'll skip Star Trek TOS season 3)

TomOpus 06-25-04 08:45 PM

I picked up Collection #5 used for $40 and I picked up Collection #1 during the DDD sale.

So, I guess I'm not in too deep to consider getting the new sets. I guess I could always sell 'em... hmmmm

TBFL 06-26-04 05:17 PM

I was about to use the DDD deal to get the rest of the sets I didn't have till I saw this thread last night.

High Definition transfers are worth waiting for....

marty888 06-26-04 06:42 PM

This, along with the STAR TREK TOS re-releases in season sets, is making me very happy - and prove that sometimes procrastination pays off!

Digital Groove 06-26-04 07:05 PM

I'm upset they're doing this, I already own all 5 of the collections and I would really enjoy the audio commentaires, the new transfers I'm sure won't look any different.

One thing I never understood though, was how people said they weren't in season by season order, you could just buy the 5 collections, and then go watch them in order, they give you the season and show number on all the boxes. Even websites have it online. *shrugs*

Cocopugg 06-26-04 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Digital Groove
I'm upset they're doing this, I already own all 5 of the collections and I would really enjoy the audio commentaires, the new transfers I'm sure won't look any different.
Are you kidding? The transfers on the old set were from the old (80s) 1 inch video masters used to make dubs to the old VHS sets. Many of the episodes look scratchy and show some video distortions. This new set will look as clean and sharp as the 60s Outer Limits set released by MGM. It will most definitely look different (far better).

rebdomine 06-26-04 07:47 PM

Does anyone know when the Twilight Zone Movie is coming out on DVD?

RyoHazuki 06-26-04 07:57 PM

Originally posted by rebdomine
Does anyone know when the Twilight Zone Movie is coming out on DVD?
Same day as the 3 disc Blade Runner, The Original Star Wars Trilogy, Ed Wood........

SRGilbert 06-26-04 09:35 PM

I don't understand why they would be available in any other way than broadcast order. Also, it's well known that the first couple of sets were mastered using the video masters from the VHS releases. I also almost bought these last Christmas when DDD had their 20% off deal, something told me to wait though!

As for the price, $120 MSRP shouldn't be a big deal, at worst they might end up being around $80-90 from most retailers. Man, Star Trek:TOS, now this. Going to be expensive over the next twelve months........... :)

RobCA 06-26-04 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Digital Groove
One thing I never understood though, was how people said they weren't in season by season order, you could just buy the 5 collections, and then go watch them in order, they give you the season and show number on all the boxes. Even websites have it online. *shrugs*
I did that a while back, watching the entire series chronologically, but it got to be a real pain switching discs after every episode, especially when I'd have a marathon and watch several in a row. Right around that time, I heard they were planning to release season sets, so I sold the 5 collections on eBay. The SRP for the season sets is a lot higher than I would have liked, but I'll definitely be picking these up anyway.

Rob

Tigger 06-27-04 12:49 AM

I for one will jump on this in a heartbeat, depsite owning the entire set as they first came out (20 a piece x 46 discs).

I would give anything to have 90-year old Kevin McCarthy giving commentry on one of my favorite episodes "Long Live Walter Jameson" and hopefully commentary as "Uncle Walt" in the Twilight Zone: The Movie.

I can't wait to hear who will be involved. Episode Commentary is the best thing they could have ever done. The possibilities are endless...
Jerry Goldsmith, Richard Donner, Robert Duvall, Ray Bradbury, Richard Keil, H.M. Wynant, Mickey Rooney, Mary LaRoche, Dennis Hopper, Martin Landau, George Grizzard, Bill Mumy, Richard Erdman, Warren Stevens, Anne Francis, Cliff Robertson, Jackie Cooper, Shelley Fabares, Susan Gordon, Lloyd Bochner, Jack Klugman, Pat Hingle, Carol Burnett, George Clayton Johnson, Ann Blyth, Robert Redford, Fritz Weaver, Donna Douglas, Phyllis Kirk, Suzanne Lloyd, Dennis Weaver, Rod Taylor, Kevin Hagen, John Anderson, Vera Miles, Richard Matheson, Ann Jillian, Dean Stockwell, Leonard Nimoy, .... even Shatner! .. it just goes ona nd on...

babka 06-27-04 05:57 AM

I am confused. So this will be released by Image once again? But now even better transfers? The old image box sets are $100 retail. So the new ones will cost more per episode?

TomOpus 06-27-04 09:16 AM

Yes