DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Kolchak, The Night Stalker

Old 10-07-05, 05:11 PM

I was going to put this off until the ever popular DDD sale, but I am itching to watch this now. I have the 2 movie dvd. That is a great buy for under 10 bucks.
Old 10-07-05, 05:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by bboisvert
$27.99 - pi/2 discount + free shipping at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=UTF8&v=glance
Sweet! Thanks! I wonder if DDD matches the pi/2 discount....
Old 10-07-05, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
$30 at DDD

edited to add: but see below, Amazon is cheaper, especially if you have the pi/2 discount
Not at MY DDD, I think you've got a counterfeit DDD. My DDD has it for $26.39. Amazon, Smamazon!
Old 10-08-05, 12:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Gojira69
Not at MY DDD, I think you've got a counterfeit DDD. My DDD has it for $26.39. Amazon, Smamazon!
They must have lowered the price in the last couple of hours. Debating on waiting for the next 20% off sale....
Old 10-08-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by djtoell
Knock money off of what? You're not paying for the movies, so there's nothing to knock off.

DJ
The Columbia House tapes were $25 each, and contained only two episodes apiece. $30 for the DVD set is a steal!
Old 10-08-05, 10:24 AM

...but do they play properly?

They're on Universal issued DVD-18's don't forget.

Like so many of their discs, the other recent release, the Hitchcock set, are already causing complaints from people.

And I've heard about someone who found the usual free/lockup/pixellation problems with their Kolchak discs - in the The Vampire apparently.

Only way to check is to play everything through in real time.
Old 10-08-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
And I've heard about someone who found the usual free/lockup/pixellation problems with their Kolchak discs - in the The Vampire apparently.
Can you provide the links to those complaints, please?
Old 10-09-05, 08:24 AM

Unfortunately not.

However, IMHO Kolchak would be the very first Universal set on DVD-18 that didn't cause problems!

The probleme encountered in the DVDTalk review of the Hitchcock discs is absolutely typical though.

Plus, the problems are not necessarily consistent - there are "good" sets, "bad" ones, the trouble doesn't always appear in the same place (though some bits are more likely than others - in the Lugosi set, for example, "The Raven" was often the troublespot) and some players seem better able to cope than others.

I'm not saying that anyone will get a problem with the Kolchak sets for sure - but I think they'd be well advised to play the things right the way through, so that they can exchange copies in good time.
Old 10-09-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whether it's the first set to work fine or not isn't the issue. Lots of people have this set, and nobody has actually reported a problem with it yet; except you and you can't show who or where because you didn't have the problem, you heard that somebody esle did. If there's a problem, I would think there would be a lot of people posting about it like there have been in all of the other threads with the box sets that have problems with these type of discs.

And yes, the problem are consistent. While not everyone experiences the problem, people who do have the problem generally have it with the same content. Like you point out, The Raven was the problem spot in the Lugosi set and if you were going to have the problem, that's where it would occur. Same with the other sets. That's being consistent.

I'm not calling you a liar, don't get me wrong. But until you can provide something more than heresay, what's the point of trying to cause problems with this or any other release?
Old 10-09-05, 01:51 PM

The word is "generally".

However, if you take a look at the thread in Home Theatre Forum

here

(which was originally about the Lugosi discs, but tended towards the Hammer set as well), you will see that the troubles are anything but "consistent". They occurred in different places for different people.

I would say that a DVD problem is consistent when someone can say "It locks up 22:36 into The Raven". The best that can be said about these discs is that some parts are more liable towards problems than others.

This thread is, BTW, the one that mentions a problem with Kolchak, but only as a "I've heard.."

These troubles also can take ages to surface because you have to watch the discs all the way through in real time. The Lugosi discs were picked up quite quickly, because DVD Drive-In's review copy failed to play - so everyone else checked theirs. The problems with the Hammers took longer, not least because they are eight (longer) films - not five.

The Kolchak discs are even more - nearly twenty hours worth. That's a lot to watch right the way through. And the release date was the 10th of this month...so probably a lot of highstreet stores haven't even released them yet.

I wasn't trying to make trouble. But I think it's worth pointing out that these discs are issued by a studio/manufacturer that has a long history of troubles with similar products, and that it is therefore worth while checking right through the Kolchak sets ASAP, rather than finding that one episode locks up when you happen to play it six months after buying...

I would be absolutely delighted if all these things proved unfounded and that every copy of Kolchak played without issues! Specially as I plan to own one. I don't yet, because - being located in the UK - exchanging these things is a nightmare.
Old 10-10-05, 04:31 PM

Any news on whether these are the syndicated versions, or uncut?
Old 10-10-05, 05:21 PM
Banned

They all run over 50 minutes so it's highly doubtful that they're cut in any way.
Old 10-11-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm about halfway thru my set right now, and so far, haven't noticed any problems, or cut versions of the shows.

Even though the show has aired on Sci-Fi, and I believe Trio, from time to time, there's actually been some episodes I've never seen before - so that's been quite nice.

Overall, loving the fact that I finally have this collection.
Old 10-11-05, 03:55 AM

I've made it through the whole set and had no problems with the dvds at all. Also, these appear to be the complete versions. I noticed nothing missing from them. The ONLY way this set could have been cooler, is if they had included the two made for tv movies from 1976, The Demon and the Mummy and Crackle of Death (edited together episodes with new voiceover work by McGavin and a bit of extra footage) on the back of the last disc. I would have REALLY liked to have had those to have a complete collection on dvd. Also, the Sci-Fi channel interviews would have been nice as well.
Old 10-11-05, 11:01 AM

AFAIK they've tweaked the opening titles of the early episodes to read "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" so they matched, originally they just read "The Night Stalker" until episode five I think it was.
Old 10-11-05, 11:58 AM

Yup, but wasn't that done when they had the Sci-Fi Channel showings?
Old 10-15-05, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by renaldow
Whether it's the first set to work fine or not isn't the issue. Lots of people have this set, and nobody has actually reported a problem with it yet; except you and you can't show who or where because you didn't have the problem, you heard that somebody esle did. If there's a problem, I would think there would be a lot of people posting about it like there have been in all of the other threads with the box sets that have problems with these type of discs.

Well, I can now personally chime in and say, YES, this set is subject to the same screwed-up problems as all the other Universal DVD-18's.

I had these running while I was working, and sure enough, the freezing and pixellation is there. Disc 1 played fine (unless I missed a problem), but Disc 2 definitely has issues on both my new Philips and older Panasonic player. TREVI COLLECTION is an absolute mess around the 27 minute mark on the Philips, but messes up later on in the Panasonic. I also had noticed some minimal freezing during the previous episode, but let that go becsue it was so minor. However, TREVI was unwatchable. So there you go, another craptastic set from Universal. I just gave up there and it's getting returned.
F*ck 'em.