Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

More Monster Legacy Sets coming in October!!!!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

More Monster Legacy Sets coming in October!!!!

Old 06-23-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is excellent news!
Old 06-23-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXCELLENT news, I am SO buying this new set!
Old 06-24-04, 07:08 AM

Thank the good lord.
Old 06-24-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
just a question. I was in Paris a couple weeks ago and I saw the Universal monster DVDs of The Mummy, Creature from The Black Lagoon, Invisible Man, and I THINK Phantom of the Opera (can't remember). They looked like the legacy DVDs of the wolfman and so on. Are these the ones being released in October (these ones I think only had 1 movie a piece)
Old 06-24-04, 09:43 PM

I believe those are releases of just each movie, not a set of each. So no, it's not the same thing...they just made the coverart to look like the Monster Legacy Collection. (I believe a link earlier in this thread goes to another forum where this very topic was discussed, but in Australia, not France.)

Or then again, I could be wrong.
Old 06-25-04, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by pomodoro
how did you sell them if they weren't even out?

Its true guys, I fell for the dumb question. i was so excited to see the busts that...
I sold the original Universal release of these films. Saw the pictures of the Austrailian DVD covers and figured we would get a similar release for these films like we did for Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man.
Old 06-25-04, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Excellent.
Old 06-25-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Holy crap! I should pay attention more often. I didn't realize that these had all of the movies in the series on them! I just thought it was the first movie! Damnit, now I have to go get them . . .
Old 06-25-04, 10:58 PM

I wish that Universal would release "The Lugosi Legacy," consisting of "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," "Island of Lost Souls," "The Black Cat," "The Raven," "The Invisible Ray," and maybe "Black Friday." Naturally, there should be commentariy tracks and a documentary, plus trailers. However, since it hasn't been done before, I doubt if it will ever materialize, much like the DVD of "Ed Wood!"
Best,
Scott Connors
Old 06-25-04, 11:10 PM

I hope Universal taps there vaults for more Classic Horror, and these "Leagcy Collections" are a great way to get these oldies out on DVD. A Bela Lugosi Collection would be sweet, I also know they own a few Hammer Studios films and they are rumoured to be getting the "Franchised" either late this year or early next year.
Old 07-01-04, 05:33 AM

I haven't found it mentioned anywhere else, but if I swap out my old individual Monster sets for the Legacy Collections, am I losing any features?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally posted by Mike
I haven't found it mentioned anywhere else, but if I swap out my old individual Monster sets for the Legacy Collections, am I losing any features?

Thanks.
This thread might answer your questions.
Old 07-01-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Time to make more room on the shelf.
Old 07-01-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Scott Connors
I wish that Universal would release "The Lugosi Legacy," consisting of "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," "Island of Lost Souls," "The Black Cat," "The Raven," "The Invisible Ray," and maybe "Black Friday."
I'd love a "Lugosi Legacy" set, but I'd think that "The Black Cat," "The Raven," "The Invisible Ray," and "Black Friday" should be released as a "Karloff & Lugosi Legacy" set. Actually, put in "The Body snatcher" as well, with the Robert Wise commentary from the laserdisc. I know the film wasn't originally a Universal title, but it would complete the set nicely.

I just can't imagine that Universal hasn't found a way to release these movies on DVD. They release classic horror titles and the sales are great. Then they re-release the same titles in different packaging and the sales are great. At least we're getting slightly more titles each time. Last time, we inexplicably didn't get House of Dracula or the Invisible Man/Creature sequels. Now, we're finally getting those, so maybe someday we'll see these other great titles released.

Last edited by evenswr; 07-01-04 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-01-04, 12:10 PM

I finally finished my Frankenstein Legacy Collection yesterday. I hope the releases are similar in quality as this was an outstanding purchase. Now to move on to the Wolfman Legacy.

I am particularly looking forward to the Creature from the Black Lagoon set. This first movie was a personal favorite from my childhood days.
Old 07-07-04, 10:36 AM

Are these all going to be 2-Disc sets? Does anyone know how the movies are divided up? For instance, will it be Disc 1: Invisble Man, Disc 2: all 4 sequels? Or Disc 1: Invisible Man + Return, Disc 2: Woman & Agent?
Old 07-07-04, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joliom
Are these all going to be 2-Disc sets? Does anyone know how the movies are divided up? For instance, will it be Disc 1: Invisble Man, Disc 2: all 4 sequels? Or Disc 1: Invisible Man + Return, Disc 2: Woman & Agent?
Probably the second one. I notice my Wolf Man set contains The Wolf Man and Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man on disc one...
Old 07-07-04, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by evenswr
Actually, put in "The Body snatcher" as well, with the Robert Wise commentary from the laserdisc. I know the film wasn't originally a Universal title, but it would complete the set nicely.

As you say, this isn't Universal -- but WB apparently IS working on a Val Lewton box, and that will be a must! Especially for those of us that have kicked ourselves for not getting the Laser box from a few years ago.
Old 07-12-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joliom
Are these all going to be 2-Disc sets?
According to DVDTimes, all but the Invisible Man set, which they're saying will be on 3 discs. According to them, all three Creature films will include audio commentary, while the Invisible Man and Mummy sets will include a featurette and commentary on the first film only. BTW, they also have the release date listed as 10/26, not 10/5.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 07-12-04 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-12-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the complete info from DVD Times:

Monster Legacy Collections Wave 2 in October
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of the second wave of their Monster Legacy Collections for 26th October 2004. Priced at $29.98 each are:

Creature From the Black Lagoon: The Legacy Collection - This two-disc set includes the three original movies presented in Full Frame with English Mono audio and optional English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features are as follows:

Disc One: Creature from the Black Lagoon
Back to the Black Lagoon
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Tom Weaver
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer
Disc Two: Revenge of the Creature
Feature Commentary with Cast Member Lori Nelson and Film Historians Tom Weaver and Bob Burns
Theatrical Trailer
Disc Three: The Creature Walks Among Us
Feature Commentary with Cast Member Gregg Palmer and Film Historians Tom Weaver and Bob Burns
Theatrical Trailer

The Invisible Man: The Legacy Collection - This three-disc set includes The Invisible Man, The Invisible Man Returns, The Invisible Woman, Invisible Agent and The Invisible Man's Revenge presented in Full Frame with English Mono audio and optional English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features accompanying the first movie are:
Now You See Him: The Invisible Man Revealed
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Rudy Behlmer
Production Photographs

The Mummy: The Legacy Collection - This two-disc set includes The Mummy (1932), The Mummy's Hand, The Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Ghost and The Mummy's Curse presented in Full Frame with English Mono audio and optional English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features accompanying the first movie are:
Mummy Dearest: A Horror Tradition Unearthed
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Paul M. Jensen
Archives
Theatrical Trailer
Old 07-12-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool news... hoping to hear about another Collection set.
Old 07-12-04, 03:05 PM

Is that for the R1 or R2 release?
Old 07-12-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

R1, according to evenswr's post above and the link provided bye RobCA above.
Old 07-12-04, 03:36 PM

Awesome news. I wonder why the Invisible Man set is 3-disk?
Old 07-12-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chente
Awesome news. I wonder why the Invisible Man set is 3-disk?
Yeah, that is odd. The Invisible Man set and the Mummy set look like they'd take up about the same space (each has five movies, one featurette, one commentary), although I haven't looked up the actual running times for the movies...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.