Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Trek: Generations SE details

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
Yeah, I think he was like 130 or so in the TNG unification episode...
And he looked it too

I may buy this as Generations and First Contact were the only decent TNG films.
Old 06-22-04, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Already sold my copy of Generations on Ebay (for more than I paid for it, thanks Columbia House ). Yeah, Insurrection was crap, but Final Frontier was even worse and I already bought that...I just think it would be ashame not to have all 10 SEs together
Old 06-22-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Admiral7
I can't believe the people who disliked "Insurrection" actually liked "Generations," which, to me, is the 2nd worst Star Trek movie of them all, next to Star Trek 5. The first half of the movie had great promise and just deteriorated into a big steaming pile of crap.
The first hour of Generations was pretty good, which is an hour more than Insurrection has going for it. Even the second half is punctuated with cool scenes such as the saucer section crash. Kirk's death scene is pretty bad and the movie's plot as a whole isn't so great, but it still ranks for me solidly in the middle of the pack, well above The Final Frontier, Insurrection or even The Voyage Home (the most overrated Trek movie by far).
Old 06-22-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think most Vulcans are supposed to live something like 200 years, so it's reasonable that Spock could live to see Kirk's grave.
Considering that Spock's *father* was still alive until the third or fourth season of 'Next Generation', I don't think it's much of a stretch that he's alive. Hell, McCoy was still alive in 'Next Gen'!

And if the book is about Romulans and Borgs teaming up (stupid idea), it'd make sense that Spock would be involved, since he was left off on Romulus last we saw him (in 'Unification' pt 2).
Old 06-22-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
The first hour of Generations was pretty good, which is an hour more than Insurrection has going for it. Even the second half is punctuated with cool scenes such as the saucer section crash. Kirk's death scene is pretty bad and the movie's plot as a whole isn't so great, but it still ranks for me solidly in the middle of the pack, well above The Final Frontier, Insurrection or even The Voyage Home (the most overrated Trek movie by far).
Kirk's death isn't as bad as the FIRST version in which
Spoiler:
he was shot in the back!

But at least the first version explains why his burial site is on top of a mountain when he died down in a gully (Jean-Luc dragged the body up there?!)

Actually, Shatner totally STEALS this movie from the TNG actors - showing the difference between television actors and movie stars. It's probably no secret why they kept him almost exclusively with Stewart in his scenes - he's the only one in the cast who could keep up with Shatner's charisma. Don't believe me...take Captain Kirk out of the plot and THEN how boring a film is this?!
Old 06-22-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Don't believe me...take Captain Kirk out of the plot and THEN how boring a film is this?!
Soran kept me going when Kirk wasn't on the screen.
Old 08-24-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Hey, only 2 weeks til this comes out. Even if it's not the best Trek movie (and I even like "Insurrection") I'm going to get it, it had a lot of good moments mixed with not-so-good ones.
Old 08-24-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
But at least the first version explains why his burial site is on top of a mountain when he died down in a gully (Jean-Luc dragged the body up there?!)

I want to see a deleted scene of Picard dragging Kirk's fatass all the way up there. The only explanation I want for this movie is where the hell did Picard find enough rocks to cover Kirk's giant stomach?
Old 08-24-04, 07:00 PM

A little off topic, but can someone explain to me how Spock, Sarek, McCoy, and Scotty ended up in TNG? What happened to them there? I'm a new fan of the original 6 films and would like to know the stories behind these characters' appearances some 90 years in the future.
Old 08-24-04, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Daniel L
A little off topic, but can someone explain to me how Spock, Sarek, McCoy, and Scotty ended up in TNG? What happened to them there? I'm a new fan of the original 6 films and would like to know the stories behind these characters' appearances some 90 years in the future.
Well, that's a bit much to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

OK, Vulcans live to be several hundred years old. So this explains how Spock and Sarek can make it to the 24th Century. I'm not a real big expert on dates here, but IIRC, the original movies take place around the 2280s-90s, and the TNG, DS9, and VOY series take place in the 2340s or so. I could be wrong on that. I'm too lazy to check right now for sure.

Also, Tuvok from VOY was also around at the time of Star Trek VI. He was aboard the Excelsior during the Praxis explosion.

McCoy on the other hand is a real old man of I think 120 or so by the time of the TNG pilot. That's possible I guess in the 24th Century.

Scotty on the other hand, appeared in the 6th season episode Relics as not much older than he was in the original 6 films because he went on a mission in a shuttle-like ship and was marooned on the surface of a giant sphere that contained an entire solar system. He put himself into the transporter's memory buffers as a form of stasis.

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 08-24-04 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-24-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kept my insert from the first release just in case...
Old 08-24-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To semi-quote Shannon Elizabeth in Scary Movie:

"Oh, f**k Generations! I want First Contact!"

As long as First Contact and Nemesis have DTS, I'll be happy.
Old 08-24-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I had the widescreen VHS in my hands this past weekend. So looking forward to this.
Old 08-24-04, 11:19 PM
Cool New Member

We need a re-edited version in which Kirk doesn't die.
Old 08-25-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think Shatner would agree with you 100%....
Old 08-25-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Tuvok from VOY was also around at the time of Star Trek VI. He was aboard the Excelsior during the Praxis explosion.

This is bullcrap.

1) Star Trek loves to reuse actors for their tv shows and movies.

2) The actor who played Tuvok, Tim Russ, was at the beginning of Star Trek Generations...NOT Trek 6.

3) He wasn't even playing Tuvok. You can tell by his accent, his makeup, and his lack of Vulcan ears! You want proof? Check out the DVD at 11 minutes 19 seconds.

Last edited by Lara Means; 08-25-04 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 01:37 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Lara Means
This is bullcrap.

2) The actor who played Tuvok, Tim Russ, was at the beginning of Star Trek Generations...NOT Trek 6.

3) He wasn't even playing Tuvok. You can tell by his accent, his makeup, and his lack of Vulcan ears! You want proof? Check out the DVD at 11 minutes 19 seconds.

Jeez, relax. What Mike Lowrey is referring to is the Voyager episode "Flashback," in which Tuvok reveals that he was aboard the Excelsior when Praxis exploded. It was basically a plot device to get George Takei as a guest star using flashbacks. So no, Tim Russ wasn't in ST VI. But Tuvok was supposedly there (but not shown).

Last edited by THX7966; 08-25-04 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-25-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
Pretty much my opinion, as well. I really like Generations and find it to be, on the whole, underrated.

I really thought that I alone, of the 5 Billion people on Earth, felt that way about The Voyage Home
Old 08-25-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Lara Means
This is bullcrap.

Old 08-25-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome news.... not to mention the trailers..... i thought Generations trailer was awesome
Old 08-25-04, 11:09 AM
Banned

My thoughts throughout Generations on my initial viewing:

Opening scene with Kirk, Chekov, Scotty: Pretty cool. Grade: B+ so far.

Data's emotion chip: a clumsy plot device and lazy way to get Geordi eventually captured and propel the story. Unfunny scenes as well. Grade: B-

End of the Enterprise D: Another device created just so they could let go of the past and get a shiny new ship in the next one. Still, the scene is terrific and should sound awesome on the new dvd. Grade: Shoots up to a B+

Picard getting his ass beat around some rocky mountains for 20 minutes: The formulaic nature and flatness of the premise really becomes apparent here and you start to think "Oh where the hell is Kirk already?" Grade: B

Picard swept into the Nexus: Surprisingly effective scene. Not quite what I expected, and Picard should have come to his senses through his own sheer willpower without help from Whoopi Goldberg, but it works well and the music is great. Grade: B+

The two Captains ride horses: they meet in a somewhat purile manner but it's great seeing the two together. Baldie vs. Super-rug. Toupee or not Toupee. Shatner outshines Picard in every way. Grade: A-

Kirk's Death: You have got to be f**king kidding me. THIS is how they send off the Kirkster?? By falling into a ravine with a collapsed bridge!!? Unforgivable. An ignoble end for a character fans have loved for 30 years.

Final Grade: C
Old 08-25-04, 11:18 AM

Loved the first 15 minutes of the film, with some of TOS crew on board.

Shatner's response to the inexperienced captain was great"

"Let me guess....next Tuesday".

After this, the film went WAY downhill.
Old 08-25-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
McCoy on the other hand is a real old man of I think 120 or so by the time of the TNG pilot. That's possible I guess in the 24th Century.
I think he's even more than that, but, yeah, they're saying that human life span gets longer as medical technology improves.

Or maybe it's just that his molecules stayed younger by not getting tossed all around the galaxy.
Old 08-25-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by THX7966
Jeez, relax. What Mike Lowrey is referring to is the Voyager episode "Flashback," in which Tuvok reveals that he was aboard the Excelsior when Praxis exploded. It was basically a plot device to get George Takei as a guest star using flashbacks. So no, Tim Russ wasn't in ST VI. But Tuvok was supposedly there (but not shown).
Old 08-25-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't be too harsh on her. She's obviously never seen Voyager. That or she blocked it from her mind. Who can blame her?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.