DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Man On Fire - September 14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/369975-man-fire-september-14-a.html)

FrankTheTank 06-15-04 07:25 PM

Man On Fire - September 14

Just saw this on IGN:

Man on Fire Due 9/14

R-rated flick has commentary by a kid.

June 14, 2004 - Fox Home Entertainment has announced Man on Fire will be released on DVD on September 14 for a suggested price of $29.98.

The film stars stars Denzel Washington as Creasy, a burnt-out ex-CIA operative who takes a job as a bodyguard to nine-year-old Pita Ramos (Dakota Fanning) in Mexico City. When Pita is kidnapped, Creasy goes on a rampage. Tony Scott is the director.

The DVD will sport a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and both English DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio tracks. Extras include an audio commentary by producer Lucas Foster, screenwriter Brian Helgeland and Fanning (even though she's not even old enough to watch this R-rated movie), plus a behind-the-scenes featurette. The artwork has yet to be released.

ReduxGuy 06-15-04 07:40 PM

audio commentary by producer Lucas Foster, screenwriter Brian Helgeland and Fanning (even though she's not even old enough to watch this R-rated movie)
That should be interesting.

Hope there's more besides a commentary and a featurette.

RyoHazuki 06-15-04 07:47 PM

A Dakota Fanning commentary? Thats classic.

"This is the part where Creasy cuts off the guys fingers and burns the stumps with a ciggarette lighter! (giggiling)"

BlackBeauty92 06-15-04 07:59 PM

:lol:

Rammsteinfan 06-15-04 08:03 PM

neato, just in time for my b-day the day before. I will pick it up. Awesome film.

PerryD 06-15-04 08:16 PM

Have you seen Dakota Fanning in interviews? She's has the maturity and conversation skills of an adult. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that she's actually a 20 year old dwarf.

ReduxGuy 06-15-04 09:00 PM

Too cute to be a 20 year old dwarf.

Of course, if she's so mature, how come she did The Cat in the Hat?

cupon 06-15-04 09:27 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
A Dakota Fanning commentary? Thats classic.
I bet it'll only be a couple of scenes/minutes worth of commentary, similar to the Hillary Swank commentary for Insomnia.

QuikSilver 06-15-04 09:45 PM

Wow, this is sure a fast release onto dvd.

RyoHazuki 06-15-04 09:49 PM

It came out mid April. Its not as fast as most these days.

Geofferson 06-16-04 08:35 AM

Thanks for the heads-up.

digitalfreaknyc 06-16-04 08:42 AM

Awesome. Best movie I've seen this summer thus far.

matome 06-16-04 09:07 AM

Excellent news!

digitalfreaknyc 06-16-04 09:32 AM

Problem is...this release will get swept under the rug when I'm too busy watching the Star Wars movies. :(

flashburn 06-16-04 11:03 AM

Great news, awesome movie. Add to the fact that it includes a DTS track :thumbsup:

Duder 06-16-04 02:42 PM

I enjoyed this movie, but the overuse of flashy visual tricks detracted from my enjoyment enough that I knew I probably wouldn't be interested in buying it. Then again, if they were to release a NON-director's cut with player-generated subtitles... Of course, that would never happen, nor would I expect it to. :P

Having Dakota Fanning on the commentary track is an interesting idea, though, not to mention a good selling point.

DonnachaOne 06-16-04 03:08 PM

dts :up:

Fanning commentary :up:

I wonder how the film will preserve the subtitles? They'll be hard to read on smaller screens... nice to see there's no trace of a pan & scan hackjob in sight.

Looking forward to this release.

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
neato, just in time for my b-day the day before. I will pick it up. Awesome film.
You've got the same birthday as my brother, then. Mine's on the 17th of the same month, too.

Artman 06-16-04 07:15 PM

Wonder if the Crimson Tide/Enemy of the State SE's will be released around this time.. hope so.

Tom Woodward 06-30-04 05:14 PM

The artwork is here

Fok 06-30-04 05:23 PM

Commentry by a little kid, should be interesting to hear what she thinks about the scenes where people are getting killed and stuff. Why would they include her in this? -ohbfrank-

dcprules 06-30-04 08:45 PM

I enjoyed this film, would have like to seen some more special features on the disc, but I'll definitely be picking it up.

RyoHazuki 06-30-04 10:01 PM

Good cover art. Nothing great but it could have been a lot worse.

digitalfreaknyc 06-30-04 11:10 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Good cover art. Nothing great but it could have been a lot worse.
Umm...its the original movie poster artwork. lol

what more do you want? big heads? :)

RyoHazuki 06-30-04 11:21 PM

No but they could have dropped the quote, removed the widescreen banner, and maybe had a wider shot. Thats just for starters. If they were gonna put some work into it they could make a really good cover. A Criterion-eque cover if you will.

WillyShatsWig 08-17-04 07:19 AM

We have a full review of the US September DVD release of Tony Scott's excellent Man On Fire here.

Snippet:
Yet another great movie that you will get to see on Region 1 DVD before it graces UK cinemas, this latest endeavour by Denzil Washington sees another tour de force performance perfectly suited to a thoroughly entertaining revenge movie which actually relies more on character than action, but isn’t lacking the latter.

The DVD has a superb transfer of benchmark quality, and similarly exemplary 5.1 mixes, both Dolby and DTS. Unfortunately it is shamefully lacking in the extras department, apart from a couple of relatively decent commentaries. Still, that is a minor niggle for an otherwise must-own set.