DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Star Trek Enterprise and Animated in 2005? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/369828-star-trek-enterprise-animated-2005-a.html)

Chew 06-15-04 06:34 AM

Star Trek Enterprise and Animated in 2005?

Well... we've suspected it was going to happen (and we've been saying it ought to happen for a while now), but industry sources are finally starting to hint to us to expect Paramount to release seasons of Star Trek: Enterprise and the complete Star Trek: The Animated Series on DVD in 2005. Word is now that Enterprise has been picked up for a fourth season by UPN (reportedly only after the studio lowered the network's price per episode for the show from $1.7 million to $800,000 - that's according to the latest issue of TV Guide - click here for more), the studio believes that releasing the series on disc might help bolster the ratings and possibly extend the broadcast life of the series further. In addition, on his website former Trek scribe David Gerrold has confirmed that "plans are underway" at Paramount to release The Animated Series on DVD with features that will reportedly include commentaries with the cast and writers.

Both of these series coming in 2005 would make sense. Paramount has been releasing at least one complete Trek series a year on DVD for three years now. With both Voyager and The Original Series set to be out before the end of 2004, and The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine already out, Enterprise and The Animated Series are all that's left.
Link

:banana: I've had to deal with crappy VHS copies of TAS for years now and the run wasn't even complete. Thanks to Paramount for listening and finally getting these out! :up:

The problem with releasing Enterprise in 2005 to "help it's ratings" is: it might be gone by then. ;)

DrOBoogie1 06-15-04 07:02 AM

Very good news about the animated series. Long overdue.

I can see seasons 1-3 of Enterprise coming in the first, second and third quarters of 2005, with season 4 coming in the fourth quarter. I strongly suspect that will be it for the show, even if the DVDs are hits. Paramount is going to be losing close to $1 million an episode on this season (they recently told UPN they'd cut the cost of each episode from $1.7 million to $800,000, so they're eating $900,000 an episode). That, plus the Friday night graveyard slot, is a death sentence.

Upper pylon 3 06-15-04 07:33 AM

^Paramount wanted another season just so they could get to 100 episodes to make the syndication package more attractive.

Well I wish I hadn't spent $40 on those TAS vcd's :mad: At least I got 2 years of use out of them. Probably 3 by the time this comes out.

Red Dog 06-15-04 09:00 AM

Great news on TAS.

That, plus the Friday night graveyard slot, is a death sentence.
I think that is the ideal timeslot for it if you wish to see it survive. Lower expectations and look at the demographics of Enterprise viewers.

JasonF 06-15-04 10:22 AM

Excellent news. I'll definitely be picking up TAS. I might even pick up Enterprise -- the most recent season was actually pretty good, and I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy Season 3 without buying Seasons 1 and 2 as well.

sn9ke_eyes 06-15-04 10:42 AM

Originally posted by DrOBoogie1
Very good news about the animated series. Long overdue.

I can see seasons 1-3 of Enterprise coming in the first, second and third quarters of 2005, with season 4 coming in the fourth quarter. I strongly suspect that will be it for the show, even if the DVDs are hits. Paramount is going to be losing close to $1 million an episode on this season (they recently told UPN they'd cut the cost of each episode from $1.7 million to $800,000, so they're eating $900,000 an episode). That, plus the Friday night graveyard slot, is a death sentence.

wouldn't that mean they would just cut production costs to match instead of losing 900k per episode ? I don't think most execs at Paramount think losing $22 million a year is a good business move.

bboisvert 06-15-04 10:45 AM

Exactly, I think they're going to be cutting staff/salaries, and reducing FX to get the episode costs down. I don't think they're eating those costs.

DVD Josh 06-15-04 10:46 AM

In my mind, the TAS is the third best Trek. There are some great stories in there.

Philip Reuben 06-15-04 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Upper pylon 3
^Paramount wanted another season just so they could get to 100 episodes to make the syndication package more attractive.
According to Scott Bakula's comments in this interview, season 4 is likely to only have 22 episodes. That means 98 episodes total.

Anyway: Great news! I won't be able to afford it then (I'll be a poor student), but I'm glad Enterprise is coming out on DVD so that eventually, when I can afford it, I'll be able to get it.

Fielding Mellish 06-15-04 11:43 AM

...wouldn't that mean they would just cut production costs to match instead of losing 900k per episode ?
That's eactly what will happen.

And you thought "Spectre Of The Gun" looked cheap...

CaptGideon 06-15-04 11:47 AM

TAS - cool!

I'm a big Trek fan but I've so far resisted the DVDs for the TV shows. I've been put off by 1) the cost 2) I have off-air VHS recordings of most episodes that I'm interested in and 3) you can still see them on TV.

But The Animated Series is different. The only reason I've even seen some of the series is that I was able to rent the videos years ago. I'd be all over a TAS boxed set, assuming the price was reasonable ($60-75 tops).

El-Kabong 06-15-04 11:52 AM

In reading David Gerrold's web page for Land of the Lost information, I found this tidbit:

On June 29th, Rhino Home Video will release a 3-disc set of Land of the Lost's first season on DVD, with exclusive interviews and commentaries by Wesley Eure, Kathy Colman, David Gerrold (story editor), Walter Koenig, Larry Niven, D.C. Fontana, and others. More news as we get it.

Plans are also underway for a DVD box-set of Star Trek: The Animated Series, with commentaries from cast and writers.

Paramount has also announced boxed sets of all three seasons of Star Trek: The Original Series will be out this year, with the first due sometime in August and the other two scheduled before Christmas.
So TAS is a go for sure. (Like there was any doubt that Paramount wouldnt figure out how to milk the cash cow just a BIT more)

calhoun07 06-15-04 12:33 PM

Just on the heels of the region two announcement. I guess Paramount knew they would lose money to those of us with region free players and decided to jump on the band wagon.

Fok 06-15-04 01:31 PM

I think they should abandon Enterprise and move onto something else. Another series in the same time frame as TNG/Voyager would be good.

DVD Josh 06-15-04 01:35 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
Just on the heels of the region two announcement. I guess Paramount knew they would lose money to those of us with region free players and decided to jump on the band wagon.
rotfl

milo bloom 06-15-04 01:44 PM

Good to see the Animated Series finally, though I'm afraid it may be too late for Enterprise.

Admiral7 06-15-04 03:21 PM

I shudder to think what the show will look like with half its budget. Certainly it's a good looking show now. The writing and acting (especially Scott Bakula) is what has hampered this show thus far (at least before the Xindi storyline). But I'd much rather them end the series now with good production value then to make the show look like Doctor Who or some other British Sci-Fi Series.

*shudder*

CaptGideon 06-16-04 12:06 PM

I'd much rather them end the series now with good production value then to make the show look like Doctor Who or some other British Sci-Fi Series.

*shudder*
With a new big budget Doctor Who series coming next year, Doctor Who could end up looking better than Star Trek.

markdclark43016 06-16-04 02:55 PM

As a TOS diehard, these are the 2 Trek items I personally had the most interest in, anyway. I love the old animated series. And ENTERPRISE is the closest thing to the spirit of the original series of all the live action sequels -- a kick-ass action/adventure show with a minimum of PC folderol.

Adrenaline 06-16-04 03:26 PM

They'd have to make Enterprise extremely cheap like SG-1 cheapness to make me buy it.

A DS9 Mini-series is the only Trek I'm interested in and it would have to have all the original cast (both regulars and guests) like Garak, Rom, Nog, etc.

Admiral7 06-20-04 07:07 PM

Hey, guys, I just got it on good authority (john Billingsley, "Dr. Phlox" himself) that even though the price UPN is paying per episode next year is only $800,000, they are NOT reducing the budget for the show. In effect, Paramount will literally be eating approximately $1 million dollars per episode next year (that's $22 million for the year for those of you counting), because they fully expect to make it up on the back end with syndication, foreign market distribution and DVD sales). They also hope that "Enterprise" will, in fact, find a home on Friday nights since the expectation isn't as great on that night and neither is the competition. John Billingsley thinks, or more accurately is hopeful, that on Friday nights, "Enterprise" could complete its seven year run. He was at a Trek Convention this weekend in Tulsa, so that's where the information came from. I heard it with my own ears.

milo bloom 06-20-04 10:43 PM

If they want to make their money back, they should release the DVDs *now* and really build up some buzz. Put some really good extras on there, like commentaries on every episode, and put it a reasonable price for once, and I think they'll do themselves some good.

Admiral7 06-20-04 11:04 PM

You're right, milo . . . although it will be too late for the start of the season, I think part of the reasoning for releasing the DVD's next year is to generate some buzz and perhaps get some people seeing the show on DVD who'd didn't see it on UPN. They'll probably get the third season released just in time for the fourth season to be ending though.

Also, John Billingsley said that he thought UPN hasn't done a very good job of promoting the show and I would certainly have to agree with him. I will say that he was an extremely nice, personable and extremely funny guest who sounds nothing at all like Dr. Phlox. He did actually look a whole lot like his character in "Out of Time." Unshaven, hair everywhere and generally unkept. Brent Spiner was also at the Convention and, surprisingly, was also extremely nice and personable. I already knew he was funny. There were about 30 guest actors from different shows and TV series, including Ron Perlman and Ronny Cox, lots of others from Buck Rogers, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Battlestar Galactica (old and new), Star Wars, Buffy, Angel, Stargate, The Dead Zone and Andromeda. It was a really great week!!!

El-Kabong 06-21-04 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Admiral7
But I'd much rather them end the series now with good production value then to make the show look like Doctor Who or some other British Sci-Fi Series.
Where I am the complete reverse of that. I would put up with shoddy sets and rubber monsters if Star Trek had just a tenth of the writing of Doctor Who.

milo bloom 06-21-04 04:55 PM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Where I am the complete reverse of that. I would put up with shoddy sets and rubber monsters if Star Trek had just a tenth of the writing of Doctor Who.
I think a really good example of this is the Adult Swim stuff Cartoon Network does on their own, like Sealab 2021 and esp Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Very poor animation, but some damn_funny stuff.