42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

American Dreams First Season 9/7

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1730

Yes, that's the cover art for American Dreams - Season 1 Extended Music Edition, due on DVD this September 7th from Universal.

The studio's Marketing Overview Selling Guide for this release mentions in passing that this is a Full Screen release. Thanks to Patrick Mizra for pointing that out to me.

18 Hours, 33 Minutes - 7 disc collection
They've also provided more info about the set, especially the extras, than we talked about last time:

includes all 25 Season One episodes.
Packed with over 250 unforgettable rock 'n' roll hits exploding in Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound.
(Executive Producer) Dick Clark remembers music superstars with rare footage from American Bandstand.
Hilarious gag reel featuring cast bloopers and behind-the-scenes footage.
Rarely seen music video featuring Stacie Orrico and the American Dreams cast.
Audio commentaries from Dick Clark and the American Dreams cast.
Released just in time for the season premiere on September 26th.
NBC and Universal unite for a massive media promotional event for this release, including promo spots that begin to run during the Summer Olympics.

<HR>
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1695
<small>This evocative drama, which won two Emmy Awards in its freshman season last year, is set against the memorable, upbeat sounds of the 1960s as it depicts a more innocent America -- as seen through the youthful Pryor family of Philadelphia as they brace for cultural turbulence ahead that still resonates in this contemporary era.

Universal has announced that it will release the first season of American Dreams on September 7th. This 7 disc set has been dubbed "The Extended Music Edition" and will contain more footage than the originally aired episodes. These 25 episodes will retail for $89.98. The higher SRP is presumably due to the cost to license the music used in the series.

Unfortunately that's all the information we have at this time, but we'll post updates and artwork when Universal makes it available.</small>

<HR>
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1720
<small>Earlier this week, American Dreams - Season 1 Extended Music Edition was officially announced for a Sept. 7th release by Universal Studios Home Video (on a day that's already very crowded with 16 other DVD releases from that studio, including 7 TV-on-DVD box sets).

During the earlier announcement, details were thin on everything, including exactly what was meant by "Extended Music Edition". Now Universal has released this statement describing how it earned this subtitle:

American Dreams is brighter, bolder and better than ever! Set to the irresistible backbeat of the best and biggest hits of the '60s, the smash-hit series' first spectacular season is now available in an unprecedented Extended Music Edition.

Experience American Dreams like never before! This Emmy Award-winning series' Extended Music Edition features incredible extended performances from some of today's hottest music superstars, including Usher, Ashanti, Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Kelly Rowland of Destiny's Child and many more.

Loaded with hundreds of unforgettable rock 'n' roll hits exploding in 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound, this 7-disc collection also contains hours of bonus features that include documentaries about music legends and superstars, hilarious behind-the-scenes footage and revealing audio commentaries that take you beyond this extraordinary TV series.

Nothing else to tell you yet, and no artwork so far, but we thought we'd pass this on in the meantime. Stay tuned, and we'll let you know when we find out more.</small>

Last edited by bigjim25; 06-20-04 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm definitely buying this. I love this show. And more music footage makes it even more appealing.
Old 06-15-04, 05:32 AM

Hopefully this will be in widescreen as well. I'm not seeing why it shouldn't be, but I'm a little paranoid about that.

I wish it was cheaper though. I know I won't actully have to pay that much, but it will still be more expensive that most TV seasons I own.
Old 06-15-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sir_Fireboard
Hopefully this will be in widescreen as well. I'm not seeing why it shouldn't be, but I'm a little paranoid about that.

I wish it was cheaper though. I know I won't actully have to pay that much, but it will still be more expensive that most TV seasons I own.
The price is high due to the music license....I will gladly pay the price in order to keep the original music. This was a major concern for me with this series. Glad to see others thought about this when they planned for the release. The msrp is only $89.98....should be able to preorder this thru Amazon for 30% off plus another 10% STL. $54.00 is not too much to pay for this season set.
Old 06-15-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
One of my favorite shows on television, but I have no desire to own it on DVD.
Old 06-17-04, 10:35 PM
Cool New Member

I am SO excited that this show is coming to DVD. It is a true hidden gem in today's reality heavy programming. The way that the stories are woven together with music is very poignant.

American Dreams kind of reminds me of The Wonder Years on a drama scale--not as much family comedy as WY was. Though the price is a little high fopr this set, it is well worth having the original music which lays heavily into many of the stories / scenes.

I recommend this set HIGHLY to anyone who is looking for a ell-written, well-acted family drama--I do not think you will be disappointed in the slightest!
Old 06-18-04, 12:35 AM

They yet again leave out AR details. Dammit.
Old 06-18-04, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sir_Fireboard
They yet again leave out AR details. Dammit.
I would expect nothing less than anamorphic widescreen since I was able to view this on NBC in High Definition. If fullscreen, probably will not purchase.
Old 06-18-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
One of my favorite shows on television, but I have no desire to own it on DVD.
I agree-- I see no reason to watch the show again. Besides, I have way too many unwatched TV on DVD sets. There is too much being released, I am no longer able to buy every show that I watch on DVD.
Old 06-18-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I would love this as I really wanted get into this show and did for awhile but I just can't keep up with Sunday shows.

Hopefully it will be available through Columbiahouse.
Old 06-20-04, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by djones6746
I would expect nothing less than anamorphic widescreen since I was able to view this on NBC in High Definition. If fullscreen, probably will not purchase.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? Well looks like a no buy for both of us then, since the specs say fullscreen.

I'm still holding out hope that its an error that will be corrected.

(I mean an error in the specs, not an error from who reported it.)
Old 06-24-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just posted on dvdfile.com:
Just can't get enough TV on DVD? Then add three more favorites to your shopping cart courtesy of Universal Studios Home Video, who will debut a trio of favorites on September 7th: American Dreams: Season One, Columbo: The Complete First Season and Magnum P.I.: The Complete First Season. The two TV classics get the 4:3 full screen and Dolby 2.0 stereo treatment, while American Dreams comes in glorious 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby 5.1 surround. This "Extended Music Edition" also boasts extended performances not seen on TV during each episode, featuring such musical guest stars as Usher, Kelly Rowland, LeAnn Rimes and Jennifer Love Hewitt, plus audio commentary by producer Dick Clark and cast, the "Dick Clark Remembers" featurette looking back at the history of American Bandstand, additional making-of footage, a blooper reel and a music video. Retail will list for $89.95.
Old 06-29-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm getting confliction info on the AR. TVShowsondvd claim the release will be fullscreen and their info is usually pretty reliable. Very bad news, if true.
Also, why so expensive? I don't buy that "music rights" crap. For an older show like WKRP I can understand it. Nobody could have predicted DVD or that "music rights" would be important.
Times have changed. Today music issues are well known and this is a new show. I can't believe they didn't forsee this and secure music rights for all media at the very beginning of the series. Frankly, I think some shows use supposed "music rights" costs as an excuse to jack up the price.
If it isn't widescreen the cost is a non-issue anyway... at least for me.
Old 09-24-04, 03:08 PM

Nope...

No blooper reel OR Jennifer Love Hewitt (Though I believe she doesn't appear until Season 2).

Hopefully they'll make up for this on the next set.

Last edited by MGBGT; 09-24-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-24-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I paid $10 for this as a blind buy (well not quite, I caught one episode in HDTV) from the circuit city short-lived pricing error and I'm still pissed it is foolscreen. Tell me, what exactly do these people at "publishing" companies do that justifies all the money they take in?