DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   La Dolce Vita Cover and Features (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/369734-la-dolce-vita-cover-features.html)

cfloyd3 06-14-04 07:00 PM

La Dolce Vita Cover and Features

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Studio: Koch Lorber Films
DVD Release Date: September 7, 2004
DVD Features:
- Commentary by Richard Schikel of TIME Magazine
- Collection of never-before-seen Fellini shorts
- "Remembering the Sweet Life": interviews with Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg
- "Cinecitta: The House of Fellini": interview with Fellini
- Eight-page collector's booklet with rare and hard-to-find photos from the set photographer
- Restoration demo
- Biographies
- Filmographies
- Photo gallery
- Widescreen anamorphic format
Number of discs: 2

I hadn't seen this posted from Amazon so I figured I'd post this.. One of my favorite films of all time and a long awaited DVD. Can't wait.

chente 06-14-04 07:43 PM

Looks great.

pro-bassoonist 06-14-04 08:58 PM

The coverwork looks decent. I own the Italian 2DVD-SE though and am pretty happy...

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/images...dolce_vita.jpg

However...I am quite a bit curious to see what the transfer of this edition will look like. Hopefully it is not a PAL to NTSC port....

Looking forward to it.....:up:

Pro-B

marty888 06-14-04 09:59 PM

I am so ready for his...... thanks for the details!

whynotsmile 06-14-04 10:52 PM

im a big fellini fan but have never seen thsi. looking forward to it. im glad its not criterion so the pirce wont be crazy high

theneobez 06-14-04 11:09 PM

Can't wait. I too am glad it's not criterion. . .I need something affordable. I just hope the quality is great.

Heliosphann 06-15-04 12:16 AM

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
The coverwork looks decent. I own the Italian 2DVD-SE though and am pretty happy...

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/images...dolce_vita.jpg

However...I am quite a bit curious to see what the transfer of this edition will look like. Hopefully it is not a PAL to NTSC port....

Looking forward to it.....:up:

Pro-B

I've also got the Italian DVD! Depending on the Video, I might have to Double Dip or Upgrade.

PalmerJoss 06-15-04 12:42 AM

Looking good--I might have to put this on my "to buy" list.

Der Zorn Gottes 06-15-04 08:20 AM

Originally posted by whynotsmile
im a big fellini fan but have never seen thsi. looking forward to it. im glad its not criterion so the pirce wont be crazy high
This is only $5 cheaper than the average two disc Criterion.

Spiral Staircase 06-15-04 09:44 AM

I would gladly pay an extra $5 for a commentary by someone other than Schickel. His documentaries are very good, but I do not believe I have ever heard him give a decent commentary.

sracer 06-15-04 10:04 AM

Fellow Fellini fans... don't forget Barnes & Noble's buy-2-get-1-free DVD sale going on during the entire month of June.

They have a great selection of Criterion discs, and I just picked up Amarcord (Criterion), 8 1/2 (Criterion), and La Strada (Criterion)... all 3 for $71 including tax.

I'm looking forward to getting La Dolce Vita. (and hopefully one day, City of Women).

Mark_vdH 06-15-04 10:04 AM

Originally posted by theneobez
Can't wait. I too am glad it's not criterion. . .I need something affordable. I just hope the quality is great.
I rather pay 3-5 (depending on the discount) dollar extra for consistently good dvds. I also hope this release will be great, but I'll never order this before reading some reviews.

For instance: Koch has the movie on this dvd listed as being 167 minutes, which is a few minutes too short. This could mean the transfer is derived from a PAL master and the dvd will therefor suffer from PAL speed-up and PAL-NTSC ghosting. And while I'm not greatly bothered by things like that, with Criterion you're more or less guaranteed this will not happen....

lpetschauer 06-15-04 11:12 AM

The runtime of the "Cinema Forever" DVD is listed by DVDBeaver as 2:47:01, which equals 167 min, right? Was that version too short?

pro-bassoonist 06-15-04 12:55 PM

no, it was PAL

Pro-B

PopcornTreeCt 06-15-04 04:29 PM

Yeah I'd rather pay $5 more to know its coming from Criterion. I'll still pick it up.

lpetschauer 06-15-04 07:56 PM

Can someone please explain "PAL speedup" for me? I'm lost - don't understand why the format of the film would make a difference in its running time.

RevKarl 06-15-04 08:02 PM

I'd love to find out how the Paramount/Koch Loeber R1 DVD rights dispute over this title was resolved... or, if it isn't,
if Paramount is still planning to release their La Dolce Vita disc(s).

pro-bassoonist 06-15-04 08:39 PM

Originally posted by lpetschauer
Can someone please explain "PAL speedup" for me? I'm lost - don't understand why the format of the film would make a difference in its running time.
PAL runs 4% faster....

Pro-B

FilmFanSea 06-15-04 09:01 PM

Michael DVD has a good explanation about the concept of PAL speed-up.

joliom 06-15-04 09:01 PM

Highly anticipating this release. It's the last must-have Fellini classic I need.

unclehulot 06-15-04 10:48 PM

If this is a PAL conversion all I have to say is --- NO WAY I'm buying the thing, with the R2 already in my hands.

At least when HD becomes a reality on DVD, we'll be rid of this supreme laziness of crap companies like ____ Lorber (or whatever the Lorber of the month is!), that do these PAL ports. I want my Nino Rota score and dubbed Italian dialogue at the right speed, not 4% faster (or a half step in pitch). If I want that, I can try and find a Chipmunks record!

Someone complained that Criterion would have been more expensive -- sure, that's true, but at least they would have done the damned thing in native NTSC!!

Mark_vdH 06-16-04 05:16 AM

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
Michael DVD has a good explanation about the concept of PAL speed-up.
From that article:

Q:What Can Be Done About It?
A: There is very little that can be done about this issue at present
As NTCS dvds can run at PAL speed, PAL dvds can also run at NTSC speed. However, this would induce the same ghosting artifacts as PAL-NTSC conversions.

jmj713 06-16-04 09:02 AM

I don't have any PAL discs, as I'm in R1, but in WinDVD there's an option for TruePAL, which, I assume, allows for that 4% and plays the film at the correct speed.

Richard Malloy 06-16-04 11:20 AM

Love the movie.

But Koch and Lorber are two names in the DVD market that I trust the least. Can two horrible DVD manufacturers combine to make one decent DVD manufacturer? I hope so, but I'm waiting for reviews.

baracine 06-16-04 12:50 PM

Love the movie. It's the last Fellini I need to make my collection complete...

BUT I'M NOT GOING THROUGH THE SAME PAL-NTSC CONVERSION HEADACHES I WENT THROUGH WITH "THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG".

This film is now available in a native NTSC version (Koch Lorber) but the preceding one (Fox Lorber) was a PAL-NTSC conversion. If you can imagine how grating the transposition of the entire sung filmscore to a half-tone higher can be... Not to mention the fact that the 4 % speedup of the action robs the film of a great deal of its poise, suspense and drama in ways that are more subconscious than not.

SO I NEED TO KNOW THE STATUS OF THIS NEW DVD BEFORE I BUY. PERIOD!