DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   My prayers have been answered "The Thing" in Anamorphic (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/369703-my-prayers-have-been-answered-thing-anamorphic.html)

DavidH 07-11-04 10:05 AM

I still don't completely understand the difference between anamorphic and non-anamorphic.
Anamorphic gives you 33% more resolution if you have the proper monitor.

Josh Z 07-11-04 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Snowmaker
I still don't completely understand the difference between anamorphic and non-anamorphic.
Explanation of Anamorphic Enhancement

Rammsteinfan 07-11-04 07:34 PM

I http://forums.ps2fantasy.com/images/smilies/heart.gif http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...phicbutton.gif

Josh-da-man 07-11-04 07:42 PM

Originally posted by Snowmaker

Of course, I only have a regular 36" TV.

In a nutshell, it means that the image has more vertical information for improved resolution on widescreen TVs. If you're viewing on a standard 4:3 set, then if the player is adjusted properly, you won't see any difference, but on a widescreen television, the image would be sharper. If your player isn't set properly, the image would appear vertically stretched and people on the screen would appear elongated and too thin.

stinkeye 07-20-04 10:50 AM

The great dvdanswers.com has menu shots up now. Looks like this confirms the only changes are the new cover art (ugh) and the transfer. Those menus are the same as the original release.

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...4146&n=1&burl=

natevines 07-20-04 11:05 AM

Love this movie, but as I don't have a 16:9 TV, I don't need this new DVD.
If there are any other improvements, however, I might get it.
Besides, I like the new cover art :)

Rammsteinfan 07-27-04 09:07 AM

I finally saw the recut TV version last night on TNT. It had the voice overs for each character giving background info. It was very intresting to see. While I prefer the original version, it would have been nice to have that extra character info in text form or something. Anyone else seen this TV version?

Tyler_Durden 07-27-04 01:35 PM

My god, that new art is horrendous. Well, life's too short to get worked up over stuff like this. I just wished these studio hacks had at least some taste.

Johnny Zhivago 07-27-04 02:02 PM

Not a huge fan of the new artwork... Really wish I would have hung on to the old edition now, for the cover art and the insert. I may have to pick up a used copy for cheap at some point and swap em' out.

ENDContra 08-26-04 01:19 PM

Whats the chance the artwork we see is a slipcover, and that inside is maybe something like what the current release has? The 3D pic of the cover doesnt look like a keepcase, more like a slipcover or digipak.

Johnny Zhivago 08-26-04 01:59 PM

Can't think of any Universal releases that have a slipcover...

Anyone?

matome 08-26-04 03:21 PM

The new <i>Duel</i> disc has a slipcover as did <i>The Rundown</i>, if I remember correctly.

Rammsteinfan 08-26-04 03:23 PM

Universals DVD site still says: Digipak with Slip Sleeve

So it must be coming that way...

TomOpus 08-26-04 07:18 PM

Cool... back on page 2 when the artwork was posted I mentioned it looked like a slipcover.

Now that I'll have a widescreen TV soon, having movies anamorphically (is that a word?) will definately become an issue. :up: to this release.

Rammsteinfan 08-26-04 09:55 PM

I have watched the current disc at least 50 times since getting it back in 98-99, whenever it came out. It has been driving me crazy that I cant watch one of my fav horror movies in 16x9. I cant wait to get the new disc and see it in all its enhanced for widescreen glory! Thankfully I still have the old disc just in case I want to keep the cover and insert.

rasalas 08-26-04 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
Thankfully I still have the old disc just in case I want to keep the cover and insert.
And the "easter egg" isolated score. It's highly unlikely that it will be reproduced on the new DVD.

Isolated scores have slowly been disappearing as a bonus feature on DVDs over the past few years. On top of that, no special-edition re-release of a DVD that previously had an isolated score has ever repeated that feature. That includes other titles from Universal, such as The Mummy and Field of Dreams, which dropped their isolated scores when they were re-released in revamped special editions.

Originally posted by matome
The new <i>Duel</i> disc has a slipcover as did <i>The Rundown</i>, if I remember correctly.
And the Pitch Black re-release, among others.

Rammsteinfan 08-26-04 11:37 PM

Oh damn, your right... that may be a reason to hold onto it just for kicks. I would have forgotten about it and its on of my fav dvd's. hehe, how silly do I feel? ;)

aam1 08-27-04 07:13 AM

Originally posted by HyPyke
You must not have a widescreen set. For people on 4:3 sets, even those with an "anamorphic mode", The difference may be negligable, but I can assure you if you do ever upgrade to a 16x9 set you will want the new version.
No, I have 16:9 but the PQ is great for such an old film (for a non anamorphic disc) - sometimes the enhancement doesn't do a hell of a lot (ie armagedon)

Originally posted by rasalas
And the "easter egg" isolated score. It's highly unlikely that it will be reproduced on the new DVD.

Isolated scores have slowly been disappearing as a bonus feature on DVDs over the past few years.

But this score is on the extras only - never heard of that on any other film.

Personally I reckon this'll pan out to be yet another non anamorphic re-release, Universal won't cover the costs of a new transfer. It would only only appeal to me if it also came with dts and dropped the extras for max PQ.

rasalas 08-27-04 07:50 AM

Originally posted by aam1
But this score is on the extras only - never heard of that on any other film.
The isolated scores on the original DVDs for Apollo 13, Field of Dreams, Fried Green Tomatoes, Patch Adams and The Mummy don't play during the movie either. They all are options among the various menu screens and extras. And--no coincidence, surely--all of these DVDs are from Universal.

Personally I reckon this'll pan out to be yet another non anamorphic re-release, Universal won't cover the costs of a new transfer.
Sure, it will. Virtually all of the non-anamorphic Image discs, even low-profile titles, have been given new anamorphic transfers for their Universal re-releases. The new transfer for The Thing is one of the few expenses of this new disc--aside from obvious manufacturing costs--since there are no new supplements.

OldBoy 09-30-04 03:12 AM

Is the definite release 10/26? because I saw one reputable site as 10/5. Thanks for answer.

bboisvert 09-30-04 09:35 AM

... and Columbia House doesn't seem to be listing it at all (they still have the old release only). Strange.

Rammsteinfan 09-30-04 09:48 AM

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...p?titleId=1452

Still says 10.26.04

Bill Needle 09-30-04 10:23 AM

Originally posted by bboisvert
... and Columbia House doesn't seem to be listing it at all (they still have the old release only). Strange.
This thread addresses that comment to some extent:

Has CH Stopped Universal Pre-Orders?

OldBoy 09-30-04 11:20 AM

So is the only difference the anamorphic picture? all the other extras: the commentaries by John and Kurt, the featurette, the outtakes all seem to be on the old one as well. can anyone confirm?

clappj 09-30-04 11:28 AM

The Thing was on Voom in HD this weekend.
Damn, it looked good!
Can't wait to upgrade my disc! :)