DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   My prayers have been answered "The Thing" in Anamorphic (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/369703-my-prayers-have-been-answered-thing-anamorphic.html)

Mountain Biker 06-14-04 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Robert
This new anamorphic edition will <b>definitely not</b> have a chapter list or the theatrical trailer.(even though DVDTimes lists the trailer).

I could care less about a chapter list, but it's unfortunate they're leaving out the trailer, as it's one of the best ever, IMO. Being this is my all-time favorite horror movie, I'll definitely be upgrading (and keeping the current version as well).

Rammsteinfan 06-15-04 12:16 AM

The Universal Page says it has the trailer...
http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...?childId=34777

BTW: Universals site says digipack with slipcover? and maybe we can get some new menus too.

Tyler_Durden 06-15-04 11:59 PM

Good news. I'm always willing to retire a non-anamorphic DVD.

aam1 06-16-04 01:53 AM

I wont bother with this, the old version looked as good as this film could get. Anamorphic wont make enough difference to warrant a double dip. If it had dts and was really cheap though. . .

babka 06-16-04 02:44 AM

I hope the music during the menus are still there... i love that

Butch Coolidge 06-16-04 03:09 AM

Hope it is true. This title was re-released several times in various R2 countries. Always the same story. Universal claims it is now anamorphic and at the end of the day it is always the same disc repacked.

Shame.

gorgo99 06-16-04 08:20 AM

This is an all-time favorite; the current disc is quite impressive, as I don't have a WS TV, but I plan on getting one soon, so I'll upgrade....

I hope it also still has the undocumented music-only track.

RockyMtnBri 06-16-04 08:47 AM

About finger lickin' time! Another test for anamorphic discs is your PC. If you have a DVD ROM, just put it in and see what shape your player window assumes. If it's rectangular, it's anamorphic; if it's squarish, it's not.

dgc 07-03-04 11:28 AM

Hey, guys.... anyone else reluctant in letting the original release go before seeing the new release?

I'm worried Universal will some how screw up the new release. There most certainly will not be an insert, but that's the least ofmy worries. Are we certain that we will be getting all the original extras?

If I sell off or give away the original I think I'll keep the fold out insert/booklet containing the production notes and chapter listings.

TomOpus 07-03-04 11:50 AM

Yep, hanging onto mine until the new one comes out and the dust has settled.

HyPyke 07-03-04 02:12 PM

Originally posted by aam1
I wont bother with this, the old version looked as good as this film could get. Anamorphic wont make enough difference to warrant a double dip. If it had dts and was really cheap though. . .
You must not have a widescreen set. For people on 4:3 sets, even those with an "anamorphic mode", The difference may be negligable, but I can assure you if you do ever upgrade to a 16x9 set you will want the new version.

Rammsteinfan 07-03-04 03:14 PM

Yeah, i am so in it for 16x9. I was watching it the other day and its soooo small on a ws tv. I am holding on to mine as well until this one comes out. I am planning on keeping the insert if there isnt one and the cover if I dont like the new cover since the features are the same.

LIke I said before, did anyone else notice that it says DIGIPAK w/ SLIPCASE? Wonder what thats gonna be...

BlackBeauty92 07-03-04 11:51 PM

i've been bitching about this since day 1... so now it's available.
defitnetly gonna get it...

Tom Woodward 07-09-04 05:23 PM

We've just posted the artwork here

d2cheer 07-09-04 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Tom Woodward
We've just posted the artwork here

Not bad but I will put the new DVD into the old case...I like the old artwork better.

Rammsteinfan 07-09-04 05:49 PM

Yep same here, old artwork for me too!

shill66 07-09-04 06:03 PM

I like it.

TomOpus 07-09-04 06:07 PM

That looks like it might be a slipcase.

I'll have to check out the artwork underneath before I decide if I put the disc in the old case.

demonio 07-09-04 06:41 PM

I like the new artwork a lot better!!

Bricks II 07-10-04 12:08 AM

Wow, a re-release artwork that doesn't have big-head-syndrome and actually looks good.

However, the "ice" does look a little like the ice on a Nestea can.

Mountain Biker 07-10-04 01:15 AM

Not bad, but original poster art is still much better.

BlackBeauty92 07-10-04 01:03 PM

it looks decent...
but yeah, the original still look a whole lot better

DVDho78DTS 07-10-04 01:10 PM

I think it looks cool.

OldBoy 07-10-04 01:10 PM

Ugh!! That new artwork is horrible compared to the old! What is that.
Nothing beats this...
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/07...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Snowmaker 07-11-04 09:32 AM

I still don't completely understand the difference between anamorphic and non-anamorphic.

Of course, I only have a regular 36" TV.