DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   New Eyes Wide Shut DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/367890-new-eyes-wide-shut-dvd.html)

QuiGonJosh 06-04-04 07:07 AM

New Eyes Wide Shut DVD?

Coulda sword I heard something about the Unrated cut of this finally coming to R1...did a search and found nothing...anyone got any info?

ThatGuamGuy 06-04-04 10:52 AM

There was a rumor on Digital Bits that it would be coming ... if memory serves, they said next year, but they might've said the end of this year ... at any rate, there's been nothing since then, and that was about a month or two back (just after I bought the R2).

Class316 06-04-04 10:57 AM

It's a sucky movie anyway.

By the way, can anyone confirm that the R3 has original Hindu chants?

DVD Josh 06-04-04 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Class316

Could have been saved if Nicole Kidman was alot more naked.

Rivero 06-04-04 02:43 PM

Incorrect.

Josh Z 06-04-04 02:47 PM

Thanks for the threadcrap, but people over the age of 14 might feel differently.

All home video editions worldwide have the altered chant. It sounds the same as the original except for the words, so unless you speak Hindi it's next to impossible to tell the difference.

Class316 06-04-04 02:51 PM

I'm over 14. So can anyone tell me what is not crappy about it? A few softcore sex scenes???

Also, from http://imdb.com/title/tt0120663/alternateversions

The region 3 release (Hong Kong) is uncut and contains the recitation of a passage from the Bhagavad Gita during the orgy scene. It is rumored that this is the closest the film comes to being unaltered after Kubrick's last edit and is the most true to his "vision".

Johnny Zhivago 06-04-04 03:20 PM

I'm over 14. So can anyone tell me what is not crappy about it? A few softcore sex scenes???
This has been discussed to death, go run a search in the movies forum if you really want to know... Cause, from the sound of your question (and blatant threadcrap), you have no clue what this film is about.

OT - I've heard nothing about a new R1 release.

Kant 06-04-04 03:22 PM

What!? i THOUGHT THAT MY R2 DK WAS UNCUT!
Damn didn't know that!

POWERBOMB 06-04-04 10:51 PM

It's getting to the point where it is better not to buy a dvd when it first releases because a newer version will be released later down the road.

By unrated, I'm assuming your making a reference to
Spoiler:
the scene that depicts graphic sex in the house?

QuiGonJosh 06-05-04 05:32 AM

I mean...the international cut...

ThatGuamGuy 06-05-04 05:06 PM

It's getting to the point where it is better not to buy a dvd when it first releases because a newer version will be released later down the road.
That's all well and good, but we've already *had* two releases, haven't we?

Rizor 06-05-04 05:44 PM

I think Eyes Wide Shut has only been released on DVD once.

Squirrel God 06-05-04 07:29 PM

Eyes Wide Shut is in my top 10 most favourite films of all time -smile-

I have the UK R2 release but having seen the R1 as well, I don't think the digital censorship makes any difference to the plot or even the ambience of those scenes at all. Still, I hope you guys get an unrated cut soon.

cupon 06-05-04 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Thanks for the threadcrap, but people over the age of 14 might feel differently.

All home video editions worldwide have the altered chant. It sounds the same as the original except for the words, so unless you speak Hindi it's next to impossible to tell the difference.

I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but have grown to appreciate it over time. I've tired of the copy I recorded off HBO a few years back, so I broke down and purchased the DVD yesterday. I look forward to its arrival.

By the way, I was reading a review about the soundtrack on All Music Guide and it mentions the following:
For his [Stanley Kubrick] final work, Eyes Wide Shut, he employed composer Jocelyn Pook to compose some evocative string-filled music (including one track, "Masked Ball," eerily featuring backwards vocals),

Are these "Hindu" chants actual "backward vocals?"

Shroud 06-05-04 08:33 PM

I really enjoyed this movie as I can appreciate the artistic value this movie offers. The movie isn't for everyone but Kubrick made it with that "David Lynch" style of film making.

theneobez 06-05-04 11:16 PM

I love the film, though the difference between the uncut and cut versions is really negligible to me.

Cornelius1047 06-06-04 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Rizor
I think Eyes Wide Shut has only been released on DVD once.
It was released with two different covers. The regular one and the one with the "Stanley Kubrick Collection" banner.

K

shawagg 06-06-04 12:47 AM

I remember when it was released, the word was that a better version (more in tune with K's wishes) of the disc would show up in about a year.

So far I've been waiting.

Hopfulley WB will get around to it and some of K's other films for a new 2D set. (BTW who owns Paths of Glory, I'd sure love to get a good copy of that on DVD)

QuiGonJosh 06-06-04 08:08 AM

MGM owns Paths of Glory...its got a nice transfer...no real extras...but its a nice disc...should be able to find it for $10...

Josh Z 06-06-04 04:51 PM

Age has nothing to do with maturity, clearly.

IMDb is wrong. I own the Region 3 disc. The chanting is the same as the Region 1 edition. The only thing different is that the digital silhouettes blocking the nudity are gone.

jough 06-06-04 05:05 PM

MGM owns "Paths of Glory" and "The Killing" and both are really nice looking transfers, albeit bare-bones (but then again, so are most of the Warner Kubrick titles too).

There's work already being done on the Kubrick Collection #3 - but who knows if we'll ever see it on DVD.

It's okay - I'd re-buy these in HD in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray anyway.

Digital Groove 06-06-04 05:06 PM

I tried my usual Region 3 sites and even google but I couldn't find it, so can someone show me where to order the Region 3 disc, please?

Class316 06-06-04 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Digital Groove
I tried my usual Region 3 sites and even google but I couldn't find it, so can someone show me where to order the Region 3 disc, please?
Well you can get the R2 or R4 one. they're uncensored and the chants are apparently the same as the R3.

jrsl76 06-06-04 08:43 PM

I got the R3 at Yesasia for around 20/21 dollars about 3 1/2 months ago.