Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Chopping Mall On DVD From Lions Gate..FINALLY

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-03-04, 08:31 PM
Cool New Member

according to dvdfile,Lions Gate/Artisan is putting on Chopping Mall on DVD in August,but unfortunatly its in fullscreen.i love this movie and im buying it anyway,but im not expecting a good transfer,thanks to the work they did on the dvds of Waxwork/Waxwork 2,Prom Night3/Prom Night 4 and Repossesed,the are on the top of my worst dvd stuio list..
Old 06-04-04, 07:09 AM

Agreed.....great 80's b-horror movie. I loved the exploding head scene. Awesome cheese.
Old 06-04-04, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Much as I'd like to add this to my collection, I have more titles on my wish list than I could ever really afford, so I'll invoke Rule #1:

NO OAR = NO SALE
Old 06-04-04, 08:42 AM
Cool New Member

I'm buying this for sure:^)
Old 06-04-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fullscreen.

Remember when Artisan used to actually put out decent DVDs? Even for obscure catalog titles?

With this and The Last Unicorn, they are rivaling Universal for my Most Hated Studio (tm).
Old 06-04-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember thinking the movie was cheesy fun.
Old 06-04-04, 01:04 PM

I read over on another board that this will in fact have interviews, a commentary from the director, and possibly other extras for the 20th anniversary release. The commentary news comes straight from the director himself on his news group. He states it was newly recorded after having to scratch a 5 year old one, when rights hell prevented this from being released. No word on anamorphic widescreen but hopefully, since it will have extras, they did a new OAR transfer.
Old 06-04-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by STEVEIGNORANT
I read over on another board that this will in fact have interviews, a commentary from the director, and possibly other extras for the 20th anniversary release.
Wasn't the film released in 1986?

Rob
Old 06-04-04, 01:35 PM

i love the cheesy electronic music and flare in the paint store scene.
Old 06-04-04, 02:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by marty888
Much as I'd like to add this to my collection, I have more titles on my wish list than I could ever really afford, so I'll invoke Rule #1:

NO OAR = NO SALE

im no expecting a double dip on this one so im just sucking in my pride and buying it
Old 06-04-04, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by RobCA
Wasn't the film released in 1986?

Rob
Imdb lists this as 1986, you are right. However, they are calling it a 20th anniversary release, probably just an error from the poster.

I was looking at the specs at videouniverse and they show this as coming from Lionsgate/Fox.

Last edited by STEVEIGNORANT; 06-04-04 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Been waiting for this one!
Old 06-04-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this wouldnt be the first time a director didnt get what they thought they would from Lions Gate, see Roger Avary (The Rules Of Attraction), Eli Roth (Cabin Fever) and more or less Rob Zombie (House Of 1000 Corpses) though he seemed to tow the company line, maybe to get the sequel.
Old 06-05-04, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't resist a cheesy 80's horror flick - I'm definitely buying!
Old 06-05-04, 02:24 PM
Cool New Member

YA! according to fangoria,the film will be a 20th Anniversary DVD Special Ed..i guess DVDFile.com gave us some wrong news..expect commentary and new transfer and others.yaaay i can finally trown away my my CDR that i got off eBay and my old lightning video release..lol
Old 07-20-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 07-21-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by marty888

NO OAR = NO SALE
well considering this was originally going to be released on Concorde DVD, until a rights issue came up, they would have released it fullscreen anyway, since the director is involved, perhaps this is the directors prefered OAR?
Old 08-13-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDFile got it right this time; it is in fullscreen:

At least they're not calling it a 20th Anniversary Edition on the packaging.

Rob
Old 08-18-04, 05:39 PM

I was also disappointed that this was released in fullscreen only, but at least they threw a couple of decent extras on there. (What is it with Lions gate and fullscreen? - I picked up a couple of other new horror releases from them yesterday, and all were FS).

Not that it really matters, but does anyone know if the "Chopping Mall" dvd is Open Matte or Pan/scan?

Too bad Anchor Bay couldn't get this one, they've put out other releases from New Concorde which were, for the most part, very well done.

Roy

Last edited by Roy28; 08-19-04 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-18-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i bought Chopping Mall yesterday and it was pretty decent. not excellent but i think its better than the VHS. i watched thru it once and i didnt notice any panning and scanning nor did i see anything obviously cut off on the sides. my guess is open matte but im not an expert on these things.
Old 08-19-04, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by scarredgod
i bought Chopping Mall yesterday and it was pretty decent. not excellent but i think its better than the VHS. i watched thru it once and i didnt notice any panning and scanning nor did i see anything obviously cut off on the sides. my guess is open matte but im not an expert on these things.
You're probably right - I haven't had a chance to watch the dvd yet, but my vhs copy is open matte, so I'm guessing the dvd is also.

According to Kelli Maroney herself, she recorded a group commentary for this film back in 2000 (read the "letter from Kelli"), along with Barbara Crampton, Jim Wynorski and Steve Mitchell. The case lists just the commentary as just being Wynorski/Mitchell. If indeed a commentary was recorded with all four participants, that would have been a nice extra to have.
Old 08-19-04, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by Roy28

Too bad Anchor Bay couldn't get this one, they've put out other releases from New Concorde which were, for the most part, very well done.

Roy
They did?? What? Only thing I can think of is COCKFIGHTER, but that was before New Concorde had a DVD division.
Old 08-19-04, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
They did?? What? Only thing I can think of is COCKFIGHTER, but that was before New Concorde had a DVD division.
Sorry, you're right. I was confusing Concorde/New Concorde with "New World Pictures".

Roy
Old 08-24-15, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Chopping Mall On DVD From Lions Gate..FINALLY

http://www.amazon.com/Chopping-Mall-.../dp/B00DFJM7EA
They are billing it as a VHS Retro Style DVD now, like it's a feature, ha.

Also marty, did you ever break your rule?