DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Chopping Mall On DVD From Lions Gate..FINALLY (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/367818-chopping-mall-dvd-lions-gate-finally.html)

deepest blue 06-03-04 08:31 PM

Chopping Mall On DVD From Lions Gate..FINALLY

according to dvdfile,Lions Gate/Artisan is putting on Chopping Mall on DVD in August,but unfortunatly its in fullscreen.i love this movie and im buying it anyway,but im not expecting a good transfer,thanks to the work they did on the dvds of Waxwork/Waxwork 2,Prom Night3/Prom Night 4 and Repossesed,the are on the top of my worst dvd stuio list..

JHosk 06-04-04 07:09 AM

Agreed.....great 80's b-horror movie. I loved the exploding head scene. Awesome cheese.

marty888 06-04-04 07:32 AM

Much as I'd like to add this to my collection, I have more titles on my wish list than I could ever really afford, so I'll invoke Rule #1:

<b>NO OAR = NO SALE</b>

RickB 06-04-04 08:42 AM

I'm buying this for sure:^)

bboisvert 06-04-04 10:08 AM

Fullscreen. :rolleyes:

Remember when Artisan used to actually put out decent DVDs? Even for obscure catalog titles?

With this and The Last Unicorn, they are rivaling Universal for my Most Hated Studio (tm).

riley_dude 06-04-04 12:09 PM

I remember thinking the movie was cheesy fun.

STEVEIGNORANT 06-04-04 01:04 PM

I read over on another board that this will in fact have interviews, a commentary from the director, and possibly other extras for the 20th anniversary release. The commentary news comes straight from the director himself on his news group. He states it was newly recorded after having to scratch a 5 year old one, when rights hell prevented this from being released. No word on anamorphic widescreen but hopefully, since it will have extras, they did a new OAR transfer.

RobCA 06-04-04 01:18 PM

Originally posted by STEVEIGNORANT
I read over on another board that this will in fact have interviews, a commentary from the director, and possibly other extras for the 20th anniversary release.
Wasn't the film released in 1986?

Rob

entitee 06-04-04 01:35 PM

i love the cheesy electronic music and flare in the paint store scene.

deepest blue 06-04-04 02:18 PM

Originally posted by marty888
Much as I'd like to add this to my collection, I have more titles on my wish list than I could ever really afford, so I'll invoke Rule #1:

<b>NO OAR = NO SALE</b>

im no expecting a double dip on this one so im just sucking in my pride and buying it

STEVEIGNORANT 06-04-04 03:34 PM

Originally posted by RobCA
Wasn't the film released in 1986?

Rob

Imdb lists this as 1986, you are right. However, they are calling it a 20th anniversary release, probably just an error from the poster.

I was looking at the specs at videouniverse and they show this as coming from Lionsgate/Fox.

matome 06-04-04 03:38 PM

Been waiting for this one!

scarredgod 06-04-04 08:25 PM

this wouldnt be the first time a director didnt get what they thought they would from Lions Gate, see Roger Avary (The Rules Of Attraction), Eli Roth (Cabin Fever) and more or less Rob Zombie (House Of 1000 Corpses) though he seemed to tow the company line, maybe to get the sequel.

Mountain Biker 06-05-04 03:05 AM

I can't resist a cheesy 80's horror flick - I'm definitely buying! :thumbsup:

deepest blue 06-05-04 02:24 PM

YA! according to fangoria,the film will be a 20th Anniversary DVD Special Ed..i guess DVDFile.com gave us some wrong news..expect commentary and new transfer and others.yaaay i can finally trown away my my CDR that i got off eBay and my old lightning video release..lol

demonio 07-20-04 03:36 PM

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...all1986dvd.jpg

salamander2 07-21-04 03:52 AM

Originally posted by marty888

<b>NO OAR = NO SALE</b>

well considering this was originally going to be released on Concorde DVD, until a rights issue came up, they would have released it fullscreen anyway, since the director is involved, perhaps this is the directors prefered OAR?

RobCA 08-13-04 10:55 AM

DVDFile got it right this time; it is in fullscreen:

http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/610856bh.jpg

At least they're not calling it a 20th Anniversary Edition on the packaging.

Rob

Roy28 08-18-04 05:39 PM

I was also disappointed that this was released in fullscreen only, but at least they threw a couple of decent extras on there. (What is it with Lions gate and fullscreen? - I picked up a couple of other new horror releases from them yesterday, and all were FS).

Not that it really matters, but does anyone know if the "Chopping Mall" dvd is Open Matte or Pan/scan?

Too bad Anchor Bay couldn't get this one, they've put out other releases from New Concorde which were, for the most part, very well done.

Roy

scarredgod 08-18-04 11:48 PM

i bought Chopping Mall yesterday and it was pretty decent. not excellent but i think its better than the VHS. i watched thru it once and i didnt notice any panning and scanning nor did i see anything obviously cut off on the sides. my guess is open matte but im not an expert on these things.

Roy28 08-19-04 12:34 AM

Originally posted by scarredgod
i bought Chopping Mall yesterday and it was pretty decent. not excellent but i think its better than the VHS. i watched thru it once and i didnt notice any panning and scanning nor did i see anything obviously cut off on the sides. my guess is open matte but im not an expert on these things.
You're probably right - I haven't had a chance to watch the dvd yet, but my vhs copy is open matte, so I'm guessing the dvd is also.

According to Kelli Maroney herself, she recorded a group commentary for this film back in 2000 (read the "letter from Kelli"), along with Barbara Crampton, Jim Wynorski and Steve Mitchell. The case lists just the commentary as just being Wynorski/Mitchell. If indeed a commentary was recorded with all four participants, that would have been a nice extra to have.

prince_of_saturn 08-19-04 03:38 AM

Originally posted by Roy28

Too bad Anchor Bay couldn't get this one, they've put out other releases from New Concorde which were, for the most part, very well done.

Roy

They did?? What? Only thing I can think of is COCKFIGHTER, but that was before New Concorde had a DVD division.

Roy28 08-19-04 09:23 AM

Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
They did?? What? Only thing I can think of is COCKFIGHTER, but that was before New Concorde had a DVD division.
Sorry, you're right. I was confusing Concorde/New Concorde with "New World Pictures".

Roy

SterlingBen 08-24-15 12:41 AM

Re: Chopping Mall On DVD From Lions Gate..FINALLY

http://www.amazon.com/Chopping-Mall-.../dp/B00DFJM7EA
They are billing it as a VHS Retro Style DVD now, like it's a feature, ha.

Also marty, did you ever break your rule?