DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Starship Troopers 2

Old 06-03-04, 07:43 PM
Suspended

Starship Troopers 2

Did that guy in the middle know he was being photographed?
Old 06-03-04, 08:13 PM

One of the WORST movies I've watched in a long time.Whatever possessed anyone to release this turd is beyond me.

Actually,the man in the middle actually did a fair acting job considering the material he was given.

He does look a bit perplexed in that pic.....
Old 06-03-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like the guy on the far left. Looks like hes got lockjaw.

I have yet to see this but will rent it soon since im a sucker for bad b movies
Old 06-04-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the real question is:

What about that guy on the far right?
Old 06-04-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, Phil Tippet really let me down... this movie completely and totally sucked... thank god I rented it instead of blind buying!

MATT
Old 06-04-04, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by mdc3000
Man, Phil Tippet really let me down... this movie completely and totally sucked...
MATT
I dunno. I don't think he got a fair chance here, i mean his experience is with big blockbusters so maybe he had a harder time with the really small budget, but ,hey, gotta start somewhere, right?
Old 06-04-04, 01:26 AM
Banned

What sucked about the movie was the static location. It didn't have that so-called epic feel of the first.

It's ashame that this live-action franchise couldn't have mirrored the Roughnecks series in terms of locales and different types of bugs.
Old 06-04-04, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The naked girl was cool. Oh and the special effects were great for a direct to video release. Seen way worse.
Old 06-04-04, 03:58 AM

equilibrium was good.
Old 06-04-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BuddyRevell
The naked girl was cool. Oh and the special effects were great for a direct to video release. Seen way worse.

I agree that the naked girl was hot & the FX were pretty good...but this movie was pretty bad compared to the orginal.

It loses alot of points for ditching the humor of the orginal film.
Old 06-05-04, 02:37 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I probably won't watch the film, can anyone tell me what happens. Do any of the characters tie in with the first movie?
Old 06-05-04, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved the original but am skeptical of straight-to-video releases. How do the violence/gore effects compare to the original? And is their an equal amount of action or less?
Old 06-05-04, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was pretty bad. If it didn't carry the Starship Troopers name, however, I would have liked it a little bit more as a cheap b-grade scifi film.

There's probably more gore and about the same amount of action. Both are done a lot worse than the original.

In the beginning of the film, before they restored power to the station, was anyone distracted by the insanely bright electric torches the characters were using?
Old 06-05-04, 07:06 AM

i just got through watching this. i have to agree, it wasn't all that great. the acting was crap, the dialogue was terrible, and it rips off about a dozen different other sci-fi movies and TV shows. the special effects were pretty good, though i'll give it that. it also had some hot women, which was good i guess.

one thing i did notice was the casting of Brenda Strong, who played the female captain in the first Starship Troopers, as a grunt Sergent. that was weird. i guess she was the only original cast member they could get from the first film.
Old 06-05-04, 07:17 AM

In the commentary they mentioned they tried to get Zimm back (Clancy Brown I think?) but he got an offer from some other production and took that instead. They mentioned they thought he made the right choice
Old 06-11-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Grabastic
i just got through watching this. i have to agree, it wasn't all that great. the acting was crap, the dialogue was terrible, and it rips off about a dozen different other sci-fi movies and TV shows. the special effects were pretty good, though i'll give it that. it also had some hot women, which was good i guess.

one thing i did notice was the casting of Brenda Strong, who played the female captain in the first Starship Troopers, as a grunt Sergent. that was weird. i guess she was the only original cast member they could get from the first film.
I totally agree with all of these statements, but dammit, I actually liked the movie. I can't explain why, the entire time I was saying, "Man, this is crap." I think the cheese-factor won it over for me.
Old 06-11-04, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by freudguy
I totally agree with all of these statements, but dammit, I actually liked the movie. I can't explain why, the entire time I was saying, "Man, this is crap." I think the cheese-factor won it over for me.
i really wanted to like this movie as well. god knows i'm not a snob when it comes to movies. a significant portion of my DVD collection is devoted to guilty pleasures. yet, for some reason, my snob side overruled in this case.

go figure.
Old 06-11-04, 03:58 PM
Hammer & Amicus Fanatic

I was disappointed in this film, but only because the first film was a pleasant surprise for me and I hoped the same would hold true for this second film. It wasn't a total bust for me, but I believe I went into this with much higher hopes than I probably should have.
Old 06-11-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dazed
i like the guy on the far left. Looks like hes got lockjaw.

I have yet to see this but will rent it soon since im a sucker for bad b movies
I believe that is one of the female leads in the movie on the far left, i rented it and couldn't wait to return it, not even close to the original movie...(i know it was straight to video)...
Old 07-12-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

finally watched it - I really liked it. It was nowhere near as good as the original, but as a B grade sci-fi flick it was ace. the effects and cinematorgraphy were great considering the tiny budget and the fact that it was filmed digital. I found that out after watching and that really surprised me. Sure, some of the acting and stunts were poor, but the story was compelling and well played out. I like movies like The Thing and Screamers etc... so naturally I liked this. Sure, it's not what any of us could've dreamed up for a ST sequel, but we're lucky one got made at all.
Old 07-12-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't think it was as bad as some of the other posts made it out to be. Sometimes I wonder what people expect in a 'direct to video'? They would hate the other 'Tremors' or 'Mimic' sequals.
Old 07-12-04, 09:08 AM

There is no way to argue it is on par with the origional, but it was good none the less. It was entertaining, and well made for a low budget film. I think it was worth a purchase, and dont regret buying it at all.
Old 07-20-04, 04:42 PM

OK- As usual you guys put down this movie so bad I simply HAD to see it! (and I still don't forgive you for 'making' me watch Battlefield Earth )

But, I have to say it wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Sure acting was a bit pathetic and it's wasn't nearly as good as the first but I'd rank it above Screamers and some of the other fowl smellign titles mentioned above.

Now, what really looked cool was a trailer for somethign called Returner. I've never heard of it before. Was it any good?
Old 07-20-04, 05:07 PM

Now, what really looked cool was a trailer for somethign called Returner. I've never heard of it before. Was it any good?
It was better than ST2 that's for sure Overall it wasn't too bad. A decent rental but I didn't feel the need to add it to my collection.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9357
Old 09-04-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
rented it today
OMG did it suck ass
I guess I'll tag it since there's no warning in the title
Spoiler:
The asian guy from We Were Soldiers was obviously hired for his screaming in WWS since that's about all he did in either movie. The prop guns sucked. A strobe light to simulate muzzle flashes? LAME. .223 blanks(what the first movie's guns were chambered in) aren't that much money. The guns were clearly supposed to be slug throwers and not energy weapons based on the machine gun noises and the effects used on the targets.
The giant bug zapper.
The "be careful of the cables" line. Idiots. I saw the cables in the door as soon as the scene started before anyone talked.
Hey, let's use an idea from the ST TNG episode Conspiracy and Star Gate SG1 and have mind control aliens that enter though the mouth. LAME because it was a stolen idea.

They could have at least had the sgt. say she signed up to avenge her dead twin sister, instead of having her play a totally unrelated character

that said, at least the dvd has DTS and DD 5.1

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.