DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Looking for early silent hitchcock. Help? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/367762-looking-early-silent-hitchcock-help.html)

Cameron 06-03-04 01:33 PM

Looking for early silent hitchcock. Help?

Looking for some info on the earliest films for Hitch. IMDB list several German films that i can find no info on. If anyone has a website that can give me info or can help me find these obscure titles on dvd please post it. Some of these may not exist anymore and if that is the case i just want to read it in print.

stuff like mountain eagle, and always tell your wife.

Little help

Pants 06-03-04 01:48 PM

Mountain Eagle (Hitchcock's second film) is his one and only lost film. It is not known to exist in any form.

He co-directed a silent film at UFA called The Black Guard, which I've seen in a 35mm print with unsubtitled German intertitles. None of us knew what was going on.

There was a silent and sound version of Blackmail. The sound version is easily found, and I believe the silent version is on DVD in the UK.

The only easily found Hitch silents in R1 are The Lodger, The Skin Game, and The Farmer's Wife.

Cameron 06-03-04 01:52 PM

where did you see the black guard? Also does anyone have a complete list of hitch films released and TBD

Mark_vdH 06-03-04 02:25 PM

Check out this remarkable Hitchcock-on-dvd site:

http://www.daveyp.com/hitchcock/

Pants 06-03-04 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Cameron
where did you see the black guard? \
USC complete retrospective of Hitchcock in 2000

Cameron 06-03-04 02:37 PM

very helpful info...r2 has a few we don't.

Cameron 06-03-04 02:41 PM

that site also says mgm has announced a box set for all the criterion oop titles as well as a few others....is that much more than a rumor at this point?

I know WB had talked about releasing a box, but i never say that confirmed either.

ThatGuamGuy 06-03-04 02:45 PM

that site also says mgm has announced a box set for all the criterion oop titles as well as a few others....is that much more than a rumor at this point?
MGM announced it, I believe. I've seen it way more than the WB one.

I know WB had talked about releasing a box, but i never say that confirmed either.
Well, it was said in a chat as something they were working on for the upcoming year, but I don't think they gave an official date yet or anything. That set was supposedly going to include all of the Hitchcock movies which haven't been released in R1 yet other than 'Lifeboat' (which is to say, 'Foreign Correspondent', 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith', 'I Confess', 'Stage Fright', 'The Wrong Man', 'Suspicion', and a restored [?] 'Dial "M" for Murder'), along with 'Strangers on a Train' (they didn't say, though, whether it would have both cuts, as the current disc does ... but I think it was "restored" as well). I was actually just logging in to tell you about this, since that website doesn't seem to mention it anywhere.

Mark_vdH 06-03-04 03:20 PM

The Digital Bits report on the MGM set:

We also have confirmation of the titles coming in November as part of MGM's Alfred Hitchcock promotion from the studio. These will include The Lady Vanishes, Notorious, The Paradine Case, Rebecca, Sabotage, Spellbound, The Thirty-Nine Steps and Young & Innocent. They'll be available in a box set and separately as well.

unclehulot 06-03-04 06:41 PM

Turner Classic Movies was going to show newly restored prints of The Ring and Champagne recently, but they arrived without soundtracks. Hopefully they will show them in the fall.

Meanwhile the Delta DVDs which in clude a number of the silents are only just passable -- BFI has a great print of The Lodger on VHS only in the UK -- it ran ONCE on AMC about 4 years ago. If it makes it to DVD it'll be a must have.

bboisvert 06-04-04 08:47 AM

Originally posted by unclehulot
Turner Classic Movies was going to show newly restored prints of The Ring and Champagne recently, but they arrived without soundtracks. Hopefully they will show them in the fall.
Ah, thank you! A mystery solved!

I had set my ReplayTV to grab Champagne when that aired (maybe 2 months ago?) and was disappointed to see that they had replaced it with some other flick. I never knew what happened...

marty888 06-04-04 08:51 AM

Originally posted by unclehulot
Turner Classic Movies was going to show newly restored prints of The Ring and Champagne recently, but they arrived without soundtracks.

Gotta love it - they cancelled a <b><i>silent</i></b> movie because there was no soundtrack.

Ok.......

-wink-

Cameron 06-08-04 01:08 PM

with the good news from wb i wish mgm would get in line just in time for christmas....

so does turner now own those prints...and if so, why won't they be in the new box set

ThatGuamGuy 06-09-04 11:09 AM

I had set my ReplayTV to grab Champagne when that aired (maybe 2 months ago?) and was disappointed to see that they had replaced it with some other flick.
Glad I'm not the only one who got stuck with a tape of 'The Farmer's Wife' that night.

Cameron 06-17-04 06:18 PM

thanks again

Cameron 09-09-04 12:36 AM

any chamagne update?