Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rate All These People's Collections (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rate All These People's Collections (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
without knowing you.....not sure what someone would add. I'd ask where all the Hitchcock is or maybe even something like Once Upon A Time In the West. essential means different things to different people.
Old 06-06-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by marty888
Not counting Star Trek TNG & DS9, I probably have about 90% of the titles shown ...BUT..... you have almost nothing pre-1985. The bulk of the great movies made are being ignored. And you really should also start exploring some foreign films.
What are some pre 1985 movies you'd recommend I get?
Old 06-06-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
What are some pre 1985 movies you'd recommend I get?
Old 06-06-04, 06:01 PM

Ohh my turn, i own:
Fight Club 1-disc
the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly SE
Indiana Jones trilogy
Lawrence of Arabia LE
LOTR: FOTR: ee
LOTR: TTT: ee
Taxi Driver

Will own: bridge on river kwai, godfather 1&2, goodfellas SE, shawshank SE.

Yeah no point in recording mine online. I know it's hard to recommend based on what i have but... I'm looking for some foreign/film-noir/maybe some horror/or whatever - thanks.

Ferret
Old 06-06-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sessa, Since you have the limey...i think you may like Sexy Beast. You can have it for cheap and I love that movie. Nice collection too.

Feel free to suggest a DVD to me or make comments
Old 06-06-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by The Ferret
Ohh my turn, i own:
Fight Club 1-disc
the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly SE
Indiana Jones trilogy
Lawrence of Arabia LE
LOTR: FOTR: ee
LOTR: TTT: ee
Taxi Driver

Will own: bridge on river kwai, godfather 1&2, goodfellas SE, shawshank SE.

Yeah no point in recording mine online. I know it's hard to recommend based on what i have but... I'm looking for some foreign/film-noir/maybe some horror/or whatever - thanks.

Ferret
How about Devil's Backbone? It's horror, foreign and has great atmosphere... noir-ish For something more mainstream I'd recommend Se7en 2-disc.
Old 06-06-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

still not as good as mine.
Old 06-06-04, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Caliking
Sessa, Since you have the limey...i think you may like Sexy Beast. You can have it for cheap and I love that movie. Nice collection too.

Feel free to suggest a DVD to me or make comments
A small but nice collection. I like it! A few observations:

You have Pi but you're missing Requiem for a Dream

You have Barton Fink & O Brother, Where Art Thou but you're missing Raising Arizona & Fargo

You have Step into Liquid & Blue Crush but you're missing Endless Summer
Old 06-06-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my collection is a work in progress. I have quite a few holes that need to be filled. It's pretty hard to add the older discs I need and keep up with the current releases as well. I figure I will never have a "complete" collection.
Old 06-06-04, 09:52 PM

I was always curious to see what people thought of my collection... it's in my sig..

ChrisHicks: C+ (You're a big fan of the shlock aren't you? That can be fun... and it can be fine for some people but I couldn't watch it like you do, this isn't a commentary on YOUR tastes... but on my relationship with your taste)

MonkeyBoy: B+ (Alot of great stuff here, a little bit too much Sci Fi/Fantasy/Horror/Shlock for my taste but still alot of great decent movies on here!)

DumDum: A- (VERY nice collection, a little poppy here and there but still tons of solid material, and Salo to boot! GREAT!)

Jough: B+ (Alot of really great of favorites here but a little too much pop... I would try for some older older releases, try and get some silent films eh? But you have a pretty cool CC collection)
Old 06-06-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

chrishicks: no one here will EVER have a complete collection. thats part of the fun of collecting dvds!
Old 06-07-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TomOpus
A small but nice collection. I like it! A few observations:

You have Pi but you're missing Requiem for a Dream

You have Barton Fink & O Brother, Where Art Thou but you're missing Raising Arizona & Fargo

You have Step into Liquid & Blue Crush but you're missing Endless Summer
i have endless summer (not part 2 yet but i will have it) and requiem for a dream. you are correct...small collection compared to many here but bigger than all my friends. i try to only buy if there is a very good deal (explains some of the crappy movies like weekend at bernies...it was free) or if i loved the movie. of course, my wife gets some say so some might be more hers than mine.

Last edited by Caliking; 06-07-04 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-07-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OK I give in. Rate me. (in sig)
Old 06-07-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
OK I give in. Rate me. (in sig)
Considering I have a large number of the same films on DVD and Laserdisc I have to say its a great collection.

I would like to see you complete your MST3K collection of DVDs and more classics would be nice, but heck you have Citizen Kane so you are alright by me.

I should also mention I love seeing people that enjoy movies from Kurosawa.

Last edited by darkside; 06-07-04 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-07-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lucian55

Solid starter collection. A bit heavy on animation and the usual contemporary Hollywood suspects, but all in all it seems you're slowly expanding with nice additions such as Straw Dogs and Seven Samurai. The key components of any collection IMO are quality (whatever that means to you), and diversity.

My collection at DVDAF isn't terribly up-to-date, but as usual I welcome all criticism.

Last edited by meritocracy; 06-07-04 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-07-04, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here we go... I'm not sure exactly what you are supposed to tell me but here they are...

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=cbrun

C'mon YOU know you want to rate it...

Last edited by Dawg; 06-07-04 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by darkside

I would like to see you complete your MST3K collection of DVDs
Yeah, recently I've been low on cash so I've had to be a bit more choosy, and MST3K has fallen down on the priority scale, unfortunately. I'm behind a couple of box sets I think.
Old 06-07-04, 12:57 AM

oh oh my turn! (if people are willing).

http://guzzlefish.com/collection.php...=scottreynolds

This may be cheating, but already on my list to get eventually are:
Leon (International or Superbit)
Universal Hitchcock 8-dvd sets
SCTV is preordered at Blockbuster
TV Series MI-5

and long term, anything MST3k, as well as the Monty Python series set.

Any suggestions/thoughts/reviews/critiques are appreciated.
Old 06-07-04, 06:23 AM

Hi all... I am new here... this is my first post... but been collecting DVDs for about 6 or 7 years now. I love horror movies and TV Shows on DVD... never much cared for foriegn movies even though I do have a few foriegn horror... and just starting to get into the classics.

My DVD Collection
Old 06-07-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Caliking
i have endless summer (not part 2 yet but i will have it) and requiem for a dream. you are correct...small collection compared to many here but bigger than all my friends. i try to only buy if there is a very good deal (explains some of the crappy movies like weekend at bernies...it was free) or if i loved the movie. of course, my wife gets some say so some might be more hers than mine.
Ah, I see. They weren't listed in Profiler but it's good to know you do have them.

I try not to comment on someone having "crappy" movies because most collectors (myself included) have their "guilty pleasures" that seem out of place. Also, like you mentioned, the wife/girl-friends' movies will infest the collection
Old 06-07-04, 07:27 AM

I try not to comment on someone having "crappy" movies because most collectors (myself included) have their "guilty pleasures" that seem out of place. Also, like you mentioned, the wife/girl-friends' movies will infest the collection
This is very true... also like in my case... discs for my daughter infect my collection. but I also have some guilty pleasures... some say my whole collection is all Guilty Pleasures!
Old 06-07-04, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
They're not???

OK, I'll shoot one right back at ya. Are their Czech films? (Just being filmed in Prague doesn't count) Or how about Polish films? Now German, yes...just got the new Das Boot mini-series.

Tell ya what, I'd watch a German film anytime over a French film. Let's just say there's some historical and current geo-political reasons for that.
If you're willing to watch a German film check out just recently "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse" by Fritz Lang. Gorgeous new DVD by Criterion. The film is fabulous. Another German film to watch is "Ali:Fear Eats the Soul" by Fassbinder. Wonderful film.

One more, "No Man's Land" a serbo-croation flic, fabulous film, won an Academey Award (big deal but wtf).

Keep truckin
Old 06-07-04, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by planet_jake
I was always curious to see what people thought of my collection... it's in my sig..

ChrisHicks: C+ (You're a big fan of the shlock aren't you? That can be fun... and it can be fine for some people but I couldn't watch it like you do, this isn't a commentary on YOUR tastes... but on my relationship with your taste)

MonkeyBoy: B+ (Alot of great stuff here, a little bit too much Sci Fi/Fantasy/Horror/Shlock for my taste but still alot of great decent movies on here!)

DumDum: A- (VERY nice collection, a little poppy here and there but still tons of solid material, and Salo to boot! GREAT!)

Jough: B+ (Alot of really great of favorites here but a little too much pop... I would try for some older older releases, try and get some silent films eh? But you have a pretty cool CC collection)
Your collection is A1+++++.
Old 06-07-04, 09:21 AM

I get a minor kick out of checking out people's collections, but for myself I don't usually buy a movie that I don't plan to watch at least a few times over the years. If I am only going to watch it once, I rent. Therefore I have very Criterions and very few foreign films. If I were to make a list of my top 100 movies, I doubt if I'd own even half. My least collected catagories are dramas and suspence. I have lots of kids stuff, comedy, and popcorn flicks. I also buy TV series because I don't have cable TV and don't care for commercials. I do need more horror, martial arts and westerns which not so coincidentally are my wife's least favorites.

http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection...ername=007bugs
Old 06-07-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Do Me!

and let me know what I need to loose, instead of get, as I feel I need to par down my collection.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.