DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Happy B-Day To Me - Due in October?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/367355-happy-b-day-me-due-october.html)

JDF5244 06-01-04 02:51 PM

Happy B-Day To Me - Due in October??

Hey folks - A dude in a Friday the 13th board I visit periodically said that the delightful 'Happy Birthday To Me' is due out on 10/26/04.
Does anyone else have any more info. on this pending release?
Many thanks.

Moefuscious 06-01-04 03:43 PM

I found out at Horrordvds.com. They have some info on it.

RickB 06-01-04 04:13 PM

Best news yet,if true:^) No just bring on Terror train.

JDF5244 06-01-04 04:38 PM

I second that motion, Rick (on Terror Train).
Happy Birthday To Me was the first horro movie I ever saw at the theater (I was no more than 10). I'll never forget it......

A-aron 06-01-04 04:42 PM

Another shish-kabob? :)

Count me in for a copy!

Mountain Biker 06-01-04 06:17 PM

FINALLY - One of my 'most wanted' on dvd! Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Kechulater 06-02-04 01:39 PM

Good News! I had posted a thread here about a month ago wondering when this guilty pleasure was going to be released. I agree, lets get Terror Train on DVD next!

Wes Ray 08-16-04 07:47 PM

From DVDAnswers.com...
"Happy Birthday To Me:
Columbia has announced the first time release of Happy Birthday to Me which stars the likes of Melissa Sue Anderson, Glenn Ford and Lawrence Dane. This 1981 horror film will be available to own for the first time from the 26th October this year, and should set you back around $24.96. The disc itself will include a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer as well as an English Dolby Surround track. The only DVD extra material will be trailers for other Columbia releases. We've attached our first look at the artwork below:"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...mer1artpic.jpg

How horrible. :( This cover is misleading and completely mis-represents the movie.

What's with this generic model's glowing eyes? Are they trying to make this look like a zombie movie? She's not even in the movie! And is that...a CASTLE...in the background? And what of the Gilligan's Island-ish title font? What gives?? Columbia's marketing people should be ashamed.

Wanna let Columbia know what you think of the cover art?

Fire off a quick, polite e-mail telling them what you think of the current artwork, and urge them to change it to the classic, iconic "shish-kabob" artwork that it is famous for, here...

[email protected]

onebyone 08-16-04 08:22 PM

I love this movie and will be getting it for sure. However, that cover is the ugliest I have seen in awhile. Don't drink and design cover art people. Also, if you could see the movie first, that would be great.

DRG 08-16-04 10:28 PM

Wow, that cover is so horrible I'm surprised Val Kilmer isn't in the movie.

meharry2003 08-16-04 10:56 PM

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH COLUMBIA?????

That Cover Sucks A$$, I can't believe how horrible that cover is!

LikeMiamiVice 08-16-04 11:06 PM

wow..talk about misleading..the cover wouldnt have been that bad if they just kept the girls normal eyes and taken out that castle in the background..but hell,the orignal poster was HALF the reason the original has become such a classic.oh well at least its in widescreen..very ugly cover..LOL is it me or does the chick look cross eyed? LOL

Mountain Biker 08-16-04 11:51 PM

Good lord almighty, that cover is the worst I've seen since Real Genius :yack::yack:

The original is CLASSIC...how could they possibly believe that hack job is more eye catching than this......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...hday_to_me.jpg

Whatever...I'll still be picking it up, can't wait!

JDF5244 08-17-04 08:32 AM

I'm shocked and dismayed at that comically horrendous cover. It may go down in history as one of the worst covers of all time.

Spodie! 08-17-04 10:05 PM

Interesting Film.
I had never heard of it, but it seems like a lot of people really like it.

All I can say is that the audio is pretty bad in spots (low budget+low production quality will cause that, I guess), a bit too long also, but it holds your attention.

cineman 08-17-04 11:02 PM

I sent an e-mail. That cover is hideous.

For those from June who wanted a Terror Train release, according to DVDEmpire, it will be out Sept. 7.

DVD Empire (with cover scan)

freudguy 08-18-04 07:52 AM

What in the hell? Who's the moron @ Columbia that OK'ed that cover? It looks like a cover someone made for their own homemade slasher flick using generic Photoshop graphics. If I glanced at this on the shelf @ Best Buy, there's no way I would have made the connection between this and the movie I watched eons ago (and probably passed on it). I love the original poster art, it's one of those that stuck in my brain when I was a kid.

Obey The D 08-18-04 09:12 AM

Originally posted by JDF5244
I'm shocked and dismayed at that comically horrendous cover. It may go down in history as one of the worst covers of all time.
I agree. Thank you Columbia Tri-Star for providing us with the new "gold standard" for shitty coverart.

Sunday Morning 08-18-04 11:49 AM

Regarding the artwork, Wow. Just wow.

I'm sure this will be like the video, cut.
I am trying to find a version with the cut gore footage.
Regardless it's going to look great widescreen. That is if columbia didn't screw up on the transfer.

Sunday Morning 08-18-04 11:56 AM

email sent to columbia/tristar.

Wes Ray 08-18-04 04:54 PM

Thanks to all who are sending them e-mails.

There's no promise that we will sway them to revert back to the old cover art, but we'll definitely let them know what we think of their hideous artwork. Maybe next time, the'll consider getting someone with a little more experience to work on their covers.

If you haven't sent an e-mail yet, I urge you to do so. Perhaps also mention other badly-designed covers that Columbia has been responsible for (Real Genius, Murder By Death).

[email protected]

Mountain Biker 08-18-04 06:37 PM

email sent!

madelinebh 08-18-04 07:04 PM

Do the studios have to pay royalties for the original cover art/poster art on these old movies? I can't understand why these older movies are getting such sh*tty covers on DVD. It must be cheaper to make up these brand new covers. This is by far one of the worst, right up there with "Real Genius."