Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you like to see season sets of Saturday Night Live released?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Would you like to see season sets of Saturday Night Live released?

Old 06-01-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want all the "Jeopardy" skits on one disc! Can I get an "amen" from Turd Ferguson?
Old 06-01-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I would like to see season sets without the music, since there might be rights issues involved, and the sketches are the only thing I watch anyway.

Barring that, I would like complete collections of the repeating sketches (Wayne's World, etc.)
Old 06-01-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, although I own all the Best ofs right now.
Old 06-01-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally would pay for, even at a premium, DVD's with the skits of my choosing. I know this task would problably be too much to handle for most companies, but it would make me a happy camper.
Old 06-01-04, 09:00 PM

I would buy them but not the early ones. I would prob start my collection around the time when Chris Farley,David Spade,Phil Hartman and up to this current season.
Old 06-01-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love to see season sets. Some of the classic first seasons... the 90-95 era... and some of the seasons where Ferrell was in his prime. However they release SNL on dvd, I'm sure I'll check it out. I don't think many people care about the musical performances, how many people have really bought the multi disc set of that thing? Not many that's for sure.
Old 06-02-04, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just want to see the show come back on TV!

E! went out and acquired the rights to all the seasons, then they make a mistake and try to make their own best-of episode, and now they can't show any of the episodes.

I wish Comedy Central had retained their rights, I miss the easy access to the show. It's tough only being able to watch it twice a week (NBC shows a classic episode at 3AM on Sunday)
Old 06-02-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love to see "Best of Christopher Walken" since he hosted it so many times, and was great each and every time.
I assume it'll be out soon; they just showed it a week or two ago.

And, thankfully, it had both the "Census" sketch *and* the "Boulevard of Broken Balls", both of which always got cut on Comedy Central repeats. [FYI, this isn't always *just* the last half hour being cut. In the case of the "Census" sketch, they show the second song, which was in the last fifteen minutes. I always found it shocking that they would leave the music untouched but cut lots of sketches when the show was on *Comedy* Central. I totally understand leaving in great music (of course, NBC cut away from McCartney singing "Hey Jude", so...), but do we really need to see *two* songs by Christina Agueliera replacing *anything* by Christopher Walken?]

Of course, it also had a terrible Cheri O'Teri-based sketch, and skipped over the great Walken with Pat sketch, but nothing's perfect, right?
Old 06-02-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the only way i'd see them is if i got them through netflix...
Old 07-30-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd buy them on release day. It wouldn't be that hard to package up each season, and release them as sets on DVD. Take out the commercials and musical acts, and it would be pretty easy.

I'd much rather have season sets, since so many of my favorite sketches will never be on a "Best Of" DVD.
Old 07-30-04, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to be able to buy individual discs of shows. As long as they're filled, I don't mind buying a disc with 3-4 shows just to get one that I'm really interested in.

There's one show that was my absolute favorite... William Shatner was the host, and it featured a TJ Hooker skit, Star Trek convention skit, and a Khan skit where Marriott bought the Enterprise and turned it into a restaurant. Oh, and one where he's a lounge singer getting ready for a Christmas party.

I'd also like to see collections of skits... Hans n Frans, Sprockets, Church Lady, Jeopardy, etc.
Old 07-30-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sracer
I'd like to be able to buy individual discs of shows. As long as they're filled, I don't mind buying a disc with 3-4 shows just to get one that I'm really interested in.

There's one show that was my absolute favorite... William Shatner was the host, and it featured a TJ Hooker skit, Star Trek convention skit, and a Khan skit where Marriott bought the Enterprise and turned it into a restaurant. Oh, and one where he's a lounge singer getting ready for a Christmas party.

I'd also like to see collections of skits... Hans n Frans, Sprockets, Church Lady, Jeopardy, etc.
Excellent pick on the Shatner SNL...it's just a TV show! Have you ever kissed a girl?
Old 07-30-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's one of my favorite SNL moments as well. I just hate other people picking out what is good and what isn't. I'd just assume everything come out, since everyone likes different things.
Old 07-31-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll go the other way & say that at this point it's the music performances that would be the biggest draw for me. I look back fondly on the classic early years, but whenever I actually see an old episode, its never as funny as I think it will be. While the music performances are some of the best ever televised. Does it get any better than Neil Young in 1989, Frank Zappa in '76, & Captain Beefheart in '80? I just went over a musical guest list & I'd say there are about 80 or 90 I'd be interested in seeing - many that I was too young to have ever seen. Check out this list: http://www.saturday-night-live.com/s...sbyseason.html Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Sun Ra, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Talking Heads, DEVO, Elvis Costello, Lou Reed, Lucinda Williams, Taj Mahal, The Clash, Randy Newman, The Kinks....

Season sets would be too much, but boxes similar to SCTV might be good - as long as there is a chapter for EACH sketch. They'd have to group enough shows together to get me to buy episodes with hosts I'm not interested in without overdoing it & making me feel ripped off.

I'm not positive, but I think I remember seeing VHS tapes in the 80s with complete episodes from the first year or 2 - so I guess it's possible we'll get DVDs eventually.

Originally posted by innocentfreak
I personally would pay for, even at a premium, DVD's with the skits of my choosing. I know this task would problably be too much to handle for most companies, but it would make me a happy camper.
I would love to be able to order custom DVDs filled with the music videos or cartoon shorts of my choice. I wonder if this will ever happen.
Old 08-02-04, 12:41 AM

Best of per season would be a better idea. 1 Disc per season with the best skits.
Old 08-02-04, 03:11 AM

Anyone remember the best of vhs's?I just watched the best of 1975 yesterday quite a nice long tape with some good stuff.I remember seeing a lot more best of years at blockbuster but I'm not sure how they rlsed it whether they did one for each year(which I doubt) or just a few.There's also quite a bit of other misc. vhs rlses weird stuff check amazon sometime,

I don't really think music rights are really the killer here minus a few cases.
Old 08-02-04, 06:02 AM

how about releasing the top 5 episodes per season on dvd... i prefer complete shows to cut together 'sketch-collections'

i don't care much for the musical guests either...
Old 08-02-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lokimok
I'll go the other way & say that at this point it's the music performances that would be the biggest draw for me. I look back fondly on the classic early years, but whenever I actually see an old episode, its never as funny as I think it will be.
Didn't they release a set fairly recently with a whole bunch of *just* the musical acts?