DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Matrix Trilogy Box Set Details (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/365262-matrix-trilogy-box-set-details-merged.html)

Mikko Rasinkangas 05-21-04 04:39 AM

I really hope that I don't have to buy revised and Animatrix again!
Same here... I can double dip on the movies but no reason to re-buy those two...

QuiGonJosh 05-21-04 05:08 AM

I find the extra hour of footage from EtM very cool...I've always wanted to see it incorporated into the film...I think it would make it more complete...and Im all for more stuff since Reloaded and Revolutions are basically one big movie...

I dont hear anyone complaining when Peter Jackson does it...but the Wach Bros do it and bitch bitch bitch...

flippo 05-21-04 10:23 AM

I have a friend who works at Warner Home Video and last month he told me that the Matrix box set will have 9 dvd so as OP said, but he did not gave me the details about the dvd yet. He only told me that there will be some anime in one of the dvd but is not animatrix, more likely will be the one from video game.
it will release probably the end of the year or beginning of next year. MSRP around $100. :( Hope he did not tell me the truth :(

Flippo

dxwwf3 05-21-04 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Duder
So you're a Matrix fan, yet you refuse to watch the canonical animated shorts which fill in a lot of the backstory and explore other aspects of the Matrix universe? I can understand you not wanting it if you've already seen it and you hated it, but this baffles me.
Well I'm not exactly a hardcore Matrix fan or anything. I just like the movies. I wouldn't mind watching the Animatrix once but I HIGHLY doubt it will be something that I will want to watch over and over.

majorjoe23 05-21-04 11:50 AM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I find the extra hour of footage from EtM very cool...I've always wanted to see it incorporated into the film...I think it would make it more complete...and Im all for more stuff since Reloaded and Revolutions are basically one big movie...

I dont hear anyone complaining when Peter Jackson does it...but the Wach Bros do it and bitch bitch bitch...

"I don't hear anyone complaing when Peter Jackson" has become the complaint d'jour around here. When New Line announced the theaterical DVDs (except with Return of the King) they also gave us a firm date on when the EEs would be coming out. Fans could either buy the theatrical versions, or wait for the EEs, but they knew when they were coming out, and a good idea of what they are.

With most other movies we get "Here is the first DVD, and maybe sometime we'll revisit it." It mgiht be two years, it might be tied the sequel, who knows. But this is nothing like what Peter Jackson and New Line have done with Lord of the Rings.

Josh H 05-21-04 11:59 AM

Originally posted by majorjoe23

With most other movies we get "Here is the first DVD, and maybe sometime we'll revisit it." It mgiht be two years, it might be tied the sequel, who knows. But this is nothing like what Peter Jackson and New Line have done with Lord of the Rings.

Exactly. I'm not pissed about it, as I don't get pissed over DVDs. But it is slightly annoying. I knew there would inevitiably be a boxed set, but I figured it would just have a bunch of new extras that I'd never watch. I never imagined the possibility of an extra hour in one of the films.

If that is the case, I hope they sell Reloaded separately (assuming the other two remain in their theatrical cuts).

Josh-da-man 05-21-04 07:29 PM

Makes me glad I never bothered buying any "Matrix" movies since I bought the original one when it was first released.

And, the difference between this and LOTR is that we were given a heads-up that extended cuts/more extensive SEs would be coming out a few months later.

As opposed to something like "Underworld," where the extended cut/extra-special edition was released a few months later without advance warning.

Yes, nobody is "holding a gun" to anyone's head and "forcing" them to rebuy anything, but as consumers, it would be nice if we were given the knowledge that the same movie would be getting a better edition later on, or releasing the better edition at the same time.

These kind of shenanigans have pretty much made me NOT buy any new releases. When it comes to movies like "Underworld" and "Matrix," I'm content to just sit on the sidelines and wait for either a superior re-release or a price-reduction. Beat the bastards at their own game.

gutwrencher 05-21-04 07:33 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Yes, nobody is "holding a gun" to anyone's head and "forcing" them to rebuy anything, but as consumers, it would be nice if we were given the knowledge that the same movie would be getting a better edition later on, or releasing the better edition at the same time.

These kind of shenanigans have pretty much made me NOT buy any new releases.

true...this would be nice. but me passing up new releases just wont work. if I want to own the title....I'll see it now, not later. I'll just upgrade when the time comes, and keep the back-up.

Shroud 05-22-04 01:26 AM

New transfer sounds great, but since it was shot with a green filter its not like its going to be any more colorful. No DTS = No Sale.

DVD Josh 05-28-04 01:02 PM

Possible Matrix Trilogy DVD Details!

I must give proper credit to DavisDVD.com :) Please note that the below is a rumor, but comes from good sources.

So you've got all three of the Matrix films... plus The Animatrix... and The Matrix Revisited... oh, and ditto on the Enter the Matrix video game. You'd think that would be enough of The Matrix to last you forever, but you'd be wrong. As many of you are already aware, Australian retailer EzyDVD recently posted alleged specs for a massive nine-disc Matrix Trilogy box set. Like other DVD sites already have, we here can confirm that a collection with all-new bonus materials is definitely in the works. But are the EzyDVD specs the real deal? With caution and guarded optimism, I hope they are:

The Matrix (3 discs)
The Matrix Reloaded (3 discs) 3-hour Extended Cut
The Matrix Revolutions (2 discs)
All-New High Definition Transfers
Commentary Tracks
All-New Documentaries
And More!
The company responsible for putting together this boxed set will be Eric Matthies Productions, the same folks who have created nearly all Matrix-related material to date. Their website used to have this blurb (now removed) relating to The Matrix Trilogy box set: We are currently in development on over one dozen hours of new material for this upcoming collector's edition release. This expanded edition of discs will include detailed documentaries on the philosophy and science behind the Matrix scripts as well as a look at the history of action cinema. EMP is also creating a densely layered documentary package estimated at nine total hours using footage that has not been seen in the other Matrix releases. (with thanks to everyone wrote in)

Awesome, awesome, awesome news.

I am disappointed that it doesn't include the Animatrix, but hopefully it will include the relevant shorts (Renaissance I and II and Osiris) that are part of the storyline. I imagine most if not all of the Revisited material will be on here as well.

Expanded editions of the movies with unseen footage? I'm totally in, just on that alone.

hmurchison 05-28-04 01:06 PM

This is what I've been waiting for. Sign me up. Oh and I'll be back in a few years for the HD version as well. ;)

island007 05-28-04 01:21 PM

This is a rumor I hope comes true. The set sounds fantastic. The only improvment would be to add the Animatrix.

wordtoyamotha 05-28-04 01:23 PM

Possible great news on the commentaries and suppliments. I not so sure the transfers for 2&3 can get better???

Static Cling 05-28-04 01:41 PM

Merged threads.

Geist 05-28-04 02:29 PM

Re: Possible Matrix Trilogy DVD Details!

Originally posted by DVD Josh
I am disappointed that it doesn't include the Animatrix, but hopefully it will include the relevant shorts (Renaissance I and II and Osiris) that are part of the storyline. I imagine most if not all of the Revisited material will be on here as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy or another retailer offered the Animatrix for free with purchase at the time of release, since this box set will probably be priced similar to the Alien Quadrilogy.

There are rumors that there are more anime movies in the works as well, and if those are direct-to-video again the first one might be included with a set of those instead too.

Does anyone know when the Matrix mmorpg is scheduled for release? I wonder if this could be ready around the same time.

zoid 05-28-04 04:36 PM

Extended version of Reloaded – 1 hour of additional footage

This movie needed almost a hour cut out of it not a hour added.

DVD Josh 05-28-04 04:52 PM

Originally posted by zoid
Extended version of Reloaded – 1 hour of additional footage

This movie needed almost a hour cut out of it not a hour added.

Clearly, these are extended editions (ala LOTR). Those movies didn't "need" additional footage, but the fans appreciated a greater telling of the story. I think the same applies here.

CalebTG 05-28-04 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Shroud
No DTS = No Sale.
My thoughts exactly.

littlefuzzy 05-28-04 07:28 PM

I picked up the Matrix/Revisited box set and the Animatrix box set (w/ cd.) I haven't grabbed the other two movies, though.

I will probably sell off the M/MR set, and maybe the Animatrix disc, unless it is confirmed that it won't be included in the box set.

I wonder if all of the extras from the current discs will be included?

NEUMANN 05-28-04 07:29 PM

With Reloaded and revolutions being pretty new,you would think that they would have been mastered in hi-def in the first place.

ReduxGuy 05-28-04 10:51 PM

Here's a definite they should do:

Remix The Matrix trilogy with DD 5.1 EX and give all the films both DD EX/DTS-ES tracks.

Mr. Cornell 05-28-04 11:08 PM

Enter The Matrix was one of the all-time worst movie games in the sad, sad history of movie-based video games, but the actual movie footage in it was pretty good. The only problem is that if the additional hour of footage from Reloaded is just ETM footage, well, um, the ETM footage is very choppy and skips from place to place, since it occurs in between levels of the video game. How the hell Andy and LINDA Wachowski hope to integrate that into the feature film and not have it be a ludicrous set of disconnected scenes (such as the entire film Van Helsing) is beyond me.

In other news, I didn't bother to buy Reloaded or Revolutions, because IMHO they both sucked, especially in comparison to the original film, but if this box set is for real I doubt I would be able to resist buying it. After all, getting the original film remastered would be worth the torture of also having the second 2 films.

ENDContra 05-29-04 01:15 AM

Now we just need a release date so that I can feel comfortable unloading my copies of the first two films somewhere :)

DVD Josh 05-29-04 08:58 AM

It's WB. There's not going to be a DTS track, so give that up. If you aren't going to buy any WB movie because it won't have a DTS then you are plain silly.

SFranke 05-29-04 09:31 AM

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves SE and True Romance SE both have DTS tracks.

Pelayu 05-29-04 09:31 AM

Of course, DTS-ES would be a huge improvement here but I'll definitely buy it no matter if there is DTS or not.

DVD Josh 05-29-04 09:34 AM

Originally posted by evitagen
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves SE and True Romance SE both have DTS tracks.
The same two titles everyone brings up. The fact of the matter is that WB has not embraced DTS and nor will it probably ever. A properly done DD track can rival DTS and if you balanced the levels between the two, I would bet nickels to dollars you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Mr. Cinema 05-29-04 09:57 AM

Twister, Interview with the Vampire, and the Lethal Weapon movies have dts...so why not the Matrix films?

DVD Josh 05-29-04 09:59 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have DTS on these, but I'd be happy with a remixed DD track.

pat00139 05-29-04 11:43 AM

I debated whether to buy Reloaded or not when it came out, same deal with Revolutions. I told myself I wouldn't double dip, because the movies aren't worth it, unless, get this, there would be a 8 or 9 disk megaset of the trilogy. Someone's been reading my thoughts, it's creepy. Guess I'm gonna shell out some more cash. If they don't include the Animatrix, it would seem kind of silly because the set, as I see it, would want to explain the Matrix universe and expand its mythology. If the Animatrix adds to the Matrix universe, then it seems kind of silly to leave it out (especially if they're gonna add some scenes from the video game). In any case, I doubt it'll be better than the Alien set, not much else is.

Pelayu 05-29-04 12:36 PM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
The same two titles everyone brings up. The fact of the matter is that WB has not embraced DTS and nor will it probably ever. A properly done DD track can rival DTS and if you balanced the levels between the two, I would bet nickels to dollars you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
First of all, you have to bear in mind the difference between people's equipment. Then you probably won't say such things. -ohbfrank-

DVD Josh 06-12-04 01:27 PM

Bumping for good reason! New development (as reported on thedigitalbits.com)

Also today, a friend of The Bits e-mailed us last night with a link to the message boards at Spawn.com. Seems one of the moderators there let slip that Todd McFarlane himself has just been interviewed for The Matrix Trilogy DVD box set. Although sources have been telling us that it was in production for some time now, this is the first public confirmation we've seen. Here's the relevant quote from the post:

"Today, in this very office... actually at this very moment, Todd is sitting down to do an interview for the upcoming DVD boxed set of The Matrix Trilogy (scheduled to be released sometime this winter). While I don't have all of the details regarding Todd's involvement, I do know that the segment in which he will be appearing revolves around the history of action films. For more specifics you'll either have to wait until I have more info to share with you, or you'll have to pick up the boxed set, but until then, here's a photograph of the set, which is decorated with a wide assortment of our Matrix action figures..."

Great news. Sounds like the only thing that could rival this set would be a LOTR Trilogy (and perhaps the Quad).

Kakkarat 06-12-04 01:50 PM

True Romance and Robin Hood are Morgan Creek films. There is some deal where Warner distributes their films, but does not impact the audio tracks.
And the Twister, Lethal Weapon, etcs releases were a "test" by Warner's to see whether including DTS was worth it to them. Obviously they determined that it was not. I remember some sort of chat with Warners (maybe on HTF) where they said that they didn't sell very well.
Anyway, point is that we shouldn't expect any actual Warner titles to have DTS.

All that said, I would LOVE to have DTS on the Matrix films. But I will buy them regardless.

DonnachaOne 07-02-04 12:43 PM

This is an aussie set, right? Well, aren't the Matrix films distributed in Australia by Village Roadshow alone, not Warners?

Mike Lowrey 07-02-04 01:29 PM

Latest news is that the Animatrix will indeed be included. Along with "Revisited" discs for each movie, plus other trilogy-wide features on separate discs.

Josh H 07-02-04 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Cornell
[B] The only problem is that if the additional hour of footage from Reloaded is just ETM footage, well, um, the ETM footage is very choppy and skips from place to place, since it occurs in between levels of the video game.
There wasn't an hour of footage in ETM. Probably 20 minutes or so, 30 tops.

catracho 07-02-04 01:37 PM

More details:

The set will also contain a 20-page softcover booklet. HMV's RRP is £44.99.

The ten discs seem to be:

1 - The Matrix - With All-New Transfer & Audio Commentary
2 - The Matrix Revisited – Original Version With Behind-The-Scenes Footage
3 - Matrix Reloaded Extended Version – New Cut With 55 Minutes Of New Footage Inserted Back Into The Film
4 - Matrix Reloaded Revisited – All New Interviews, Scene Dissections And More!
5 - Matrix Revolutions – Original Cut With Audio Commentaries
6 - Matrix Revolutions Revisited – A Host Of All-New Extras
7 - The Animatrix
8 - The Roots Of The Matrix – 3 Hours Of Features
9 - The Burley Man Chronicles – The People Behind The Matrix Discuss Their Work
10 - The Zion Archive – A Tour Of Matrix Design Concepts, Storyboards & Drawings

And here is HMV's list of special features for the new discs:

THE MATRIX

All-New Transfer & Audio Commentary

All-New transfer supervised by The Wachowskis and director of photography (DP), Bill Pope

Audio commentary by Keanu Reeves, Carrie Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne, DP Bill Pope and other cast and crew

The Matrix Revisited – Original version with behind-the-scenes footage

The Matrix Revisited (180 Minutes) - Same special features as previous release

Offers comprehensive behind-the-scenes look at the first film in the trilogy.

MATRIX RELOADED

Extended Version – New Cut With 55 Minutes Of New Footage Inserted Back Into The Film

Matrix Reloaded Revisited – All New Interviews, Scene Dissections And More!

Matrix Reloaded Extended Version (190 Minutes) - New Special Features new cut incorporating 55 minutes of footage shot for the 'Enter The Matrix' Game

Audio Commentaries by Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Production Designer Owen Paterson, 2nd Unit Directors David Ellis And Kimble Rendall and other cast and crew

Matrix Reloaded Revisited - Special Features (180 Minutes)

Includes All New Footage Including Dozens Of Never-Before-Seen Cast And Crew Interviews, Scene Dissections, Explorations Of The Production Design And Special Effects, And More

MATRIX REVOLUTIONS

Matrix Revolutions – Original cut with audio commentaries

Matrix Revolutions Revisited – A host of all-new extras

Matrix Revolutions - new special features:

Audio commentaries by Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne, Special Effects Supervisor, John Gaeta; editor, Zach Staenberg and other cast and crew

Matrix Revolutions Revisited - Special Features (180 Minutes)

Includes all new footage, including dozens of never-before-seen cast and crew interviews, scene dissections, explorations of the production design and special effects, and more

THE ANIMATRIX

Same Special Features As Previous Release

THE ROOTS OF THE MATRIX

The Roots Of The Matrix – 3 Hours Of Features:

The Roots of the Matrix - Special Features (180 Minutes)

The Matrix and the History of the Action Genre - Examines The Many Influences Of Action Cinema That Make Up The Matrix

Brainiacs’ Revenge - Scholars, Philosophers, Theorists, And Charlatans Deconstruct The Intellectual Underpinnings Of The Trilogy

The Science Behind The Fiction – Is The Notion Of A Real Matrix Plausible? An Investigation Of The Technologies That Inspire The Metaphor Of The Matrix

THE BURLEY MAN CHRONICLES

The Burley Man Chronicles – The People Behind The Matrix Discuss Their Work:

The Burley Man Chronicles - Special Features (75 Minutes)

The Burley Man Chronicles - The “Human” Story Of The Making Of The Matrix, As Well As The Game Enter the Matrix

Rave Reel - A Club-Oriented Montage Of Unused And Newly Edited Footage From Reloaded

Spoofs of The Matrix -The “Best-of” these various clips

THE ZION ARCHIVE

The Zion Archive – A Tour Of Matrix Design Concepts, Storyboards & Drawings

The Zion Archive - Special Features

Zion Archive - Production Assets Developed For The Matrix Universe, Including Concept Artwork, Storyboards, Drawings, Etc

Basic ROM Features

Matrix-related submissions to the BBFC this year are as follows:

The Matrix Revolutions - Future Gamer: The Matrix Online (10'58")

The Matrix Recalibrated (27'02")

The Matrix Revolutions - Neo Realism the Evolution of Bullet Time (12'22")

The Matrix Revolutions - Mind Over Matter (8'03")

The Matrix Revolutions - Double Agent Part 1 (7'09")

The Matrix Revolutions - Super Big Mini Models (8'45")

The Matrix Revolutions - Super Burly Brawl Storyboard (6'16")

The Matrix Revolutions - CG Revolution (15'30")

http://www.zetaminor.com/whatsnew.htm

QuiGonJosh 07-02-04 03:19 PM

god damn!

DVD Josh 07-02-04 03:34 PM

I really hope that the R1 version is the same. If not, I'm damn glad I'm region free.

Mike Lowrey 07-02-04 03:47 PM

THE ROOTS OF THE MATRIX

The Roots Of The Matrix – 3 Hours Of Features:

The Roots of the Matrix - Special Features (180 Minutes)

The Matrix and the History of the Action Genre - Examines The Many Influences Of Action Cinema That Make Up The Matrix

Brainiacs’ Revenge - Scholars, Philosophers, Theorists, And Charlatans Deconstruct The Intellectual Underpinnings Of The Trilogy

The Science Behind The Fiction – Is The Notion Of A Real Matrix Plausible? An Investigation Of The Technologies That Inspire The Metaphor Of The Matrix

THE BURLEY MAN CHRONICLES

The Burley Man Chronicles – The People Behind The Matrix Discuss Their Work:

The Burley Man Chronicles - Special Features (75 Minutes)

The Burley Man Chronicles - The “Human” Story Of The Making Of The Matrix, As Well As The Game Enter the Matrix

Rave Reel - A Club-Oriented Montage Of Unused And Newly Edited Footage From Reloaded

Spoofs of The Matrix -The “Best-of” these various clips

THE ZION ARCHIVE

The Zion Archive – A Tour Of Matrix Design Concepts, Storyboards & Drawings

The Zion Archive - Special Features

Zion Archive - Production Assets Developed For The Matrix Universe, Including Concept Artwork, Storyboards, Drawings, Etc

Basic ROM Features

Matrix-related submissions to the BBFC this year are as follows:

The Matrix Revolutions - Future Gamer: The Matrix Online (10'58")

The Matrix Recalibrated (27'02")

The Matrix Revolutions - Neo Realism the Evolution of Bullet Time (12'22")

The Matrix Revolutions - Mind Over Matter (8'03")

The Matrix Revolutions - Double Agent Part 1 (7'09")

The Matrix Revolutions - Super Big Mini Models (8'45")

The Matrix Revolutions - Super Burly Brawl Storyboard (6'16")

The Matrix Revolutions - CG Revolution (15'30")
Looks like the last 3 discs are a compilation of the extra special features of the current DVDs of all 3 films.