Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dawn of the Dead Box set (1978 original) - 9/7

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jough
But is this the record for the most different cuts of a film in one package?
'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' (Ultimate Edition) had three different cuts also.

Some people would argue that 'Rocky Horror' did as well, but one of those cuts (the easter egg one) is not a different cut, per se, it's just black and white for a half hour.
Old 07-23-04, 10:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
where in hunt valley? and why there out of all places?

It's at the Marriot Hunt Valley Inn on 245 Shawan Road.

http://www.horrorfindweekend.com/location.html

Last edited by ftsoh; 07-23-04 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-23-04, 03:40 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' (Ultimate Edition) had three different cuts also.
Yes, and it did so with seamless branching on a single disc.

I guess this is the first four disc boxed set I've seen where three of the discs are versions of the film.

In any case, it looks like a great package, but hardly record-setting in terms of extras. All of the LotR EEs, Black Hawk Down, and Panic Room have had two discs of extras each for a single film.
Old 08-22-04, 07:08 PM

Awright, ghouls, DVDfile has put a review up today:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...hedead_ue.html

SWEET!
Without doubt this is gonna be THE horror DVD relase of the year!
Bitchin'!!! I just can't wait.

ILSA
Old 08-22-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Good to such a good review, though not surprising. Can't wait to clutch this in my arms and hold it tight
Old 08-22-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was at the Hunt Valley Inn last weekend, look who all I managed to get to sign my Dawn of the Dead poster:

Old 08-22-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Thanks for the review!

September 7th will be an expensive day haha.
Old 08-26-04, 10:10 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Here's another great review for this masterful opus...
http://www.dvdcorner.net/html/dawndeadue.html

My question...Is there any reason to keep the Divimax version "Dawn of the Dead" or is this the complete exact 1st disc of the Box Set? Thanks for help.
Old 08-26-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by scott1598
My question...Is there any reason to keep the Divimax version "Dawn of the Dead" or is this the complete exact 1st disc of the Box Set? Thanks for help.
Almost positive that it's the exact same disc... That said, if you're a DOTD fanatic, there were two covers printed for the Divimax release. The difference is in the lettering... The first (limited) wave had a gold holofoil printing on the cover (the words Dawn Of The Dead). The second wave and current in stock version at - I'd wager - damn_near all retailers features yellow print.

Small reason, but if you own the holofoil cover, it's a reason.
Old 08-26-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
frankly, the packaging for the UE doesn't do anything for me at all- very uninspired- and that extends to the menu screens as well.

most people will shrug that stuff off as unimportant, but to me, a set like this is the equivilent of a coffee table book- and general presentation is a significant aspect to me.

i could have brainstormed any number of other design schemes for this set
-a collection of world wide one sheet art for every panel of the digipak
-a mall blueprint running across the back of the digipak (would have fit the wide, short format of the opened digipak perfectly)

and whats with the generic 'horror skull head' on the menu screen?

this is supposed to be a prestige production
for AB, and the content is truly great, but the style of packaging just instills in me a big, fat "meh".

by contrast, though it wasn't filled to bursting with goodies, i found the March single disc release to be wholly satisfying.
every aspect- from packaging to content- and the bonus was, its a nice trim single disc amray doesn't take up much space at all.
maybe thats why i'm non-pulsed by the images of the UE set.
not only is it graphically uninspiring, its also going to hog up a lot more precious shelf space.

i know that is a minority opinion.
Old 08-26-04, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Almost positive that it's the exact same disc... That said, if you're a DOTD fanatic, there were two covers printed for the Divimax release. The difference is in the lettering... The first (limited) wave had a gold holofoil printing on the cover (the words Dawn Of The Dead). The second wave and current in stock version at - I'd wager - damn_near all retailers features yellow print.

Small reason, but if you own the holofoil cover, it's a reason.
Will this be collectible eventually like some of the other DotD releases then? Maybe i shouldn't sell it for $8.00.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-26-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by ckolchak
frankly, the packaging for the UE doesn't do anything for me at all- very uninspired- and that extends to the menu screens as well.

most people will shrug that stuff off as unimportant, but to me, a set like this is the equivilent of a coffee table book- and general presentation is a significant aspect to me.

i could have brainstormed any number of other design schemes for this set
-a collection of world wide one sheet art for every panel of the digipak
-a mall blueprint running across the back of the digipak (would have fit the wide, short format of the opened digipak perfectly)

and whats with the generic 'horror skull head' on the menu screen?

this is supposed to be a prestige production
for AB, and the content is truly great, but the style of packaging just instills in me a big, fat "meh".

by contrast, though it wasn't filled to bursting with goodies, i found the March single disc release to be wholly satisfying.
every aspect- from packaging to content- and the bonus was, its a nice trim single disc amray doesn't take up much space at all.
maybe thats why i'm non-pulsed by the images of the UE set.
not only is it graphically uninspiring, its also going to hog up a lot more precious shelf space.

i know that is a minority opinion.
i think the artwork is quite striking. very simple and very defined red and black. maybe could have done something better with the digipak rather than characters head, like you mentioned. but it is packed plain and simple and should make all fans of this movie and this genre salivate.
also, it doesn't look any bigger than a Double Alpha when closed. Not too much shelf space at all.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-26-04 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scott - You got me... Maybe, dunno, doubt it? I had planned on trading or selling my Divimax copy, but since I do have the holofoil cover, I may just keep it... Hell, it didn't cost that much to begin with.
Old 08-26-04, 04:00 PM

So if I'm interested in mainly the movie, would the divimax or this box be the best way to go? Wasn't sure if the divimax or the uncut version is superior. Thanks!
Old 08-26-04, 05:44 PM

Scott - You got me... Maybe, dunno, doubt it? I had planned on trading or selling my Divimax copy, but since I do have the holofoil cover, I may just keep it... Hell, it didn't cost that much to begin with.
my sentiments exactly. i'll keep it around. no harm no foul. if anything it will be easier to pop in, then to unfold the sweet digipak when i get (at least that's the rationale i am using).
Old 08-26-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I never noticed this! Interesting...

I just checked mine and it looks like I have the foil one. I can't get rid of mine anyways because I had Ken Foree sign it.
Old 08-26-04, 06:01 PM

I know it's funny the way these things are. I see the pics now for the yellow lettering. Why did Anchor Bay do this you think?
Old 08-26-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dhs122
So if I'm interested in mainly the movie, would the divimax or this box be the best way to go? Wasn't sure if the divimax or the uncut version is superior. Thanks!

Even if extras aren't your thing, I'd definitely still recommend the Box Set because it will feature three versions of the movie.

I can't wait!
Old 08-26-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dhs122

Yes it will be the best way to go and IS uncut!

The longer version included in the box set is not a 'directors uncensored cut' or anything. It is just purely a rough cut of the film,before some tweaking(& the original score) was added resulting in the great theatrical version...which has always been uncensored.

The longer rough print version drags severely in my opinion,and it lacks the great music used in the theatrical(real directors cut) version.
Old 08-26-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Just a reminder, those of us with the OOP Dawn "Anniversary Edition" (with the "Andy Warhol" cover) may want to consider holding on to that disc even though we're picking up the boxset. The version on the Anniversary disc is different than the 3 that are included in the boxset.
Old 08-26-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does any one have an official run time on the 3 versions? i know the theatrical cut is 127, but ive heard so many different variations on the other 2 cuts.
Old 08-27-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is one film like Aliens, where i like the longer Cannes cut just as much if not more than the theatrical cut.
the pacing doesn't drag for me, and i like spending time with these characters, and seeing the world they inhabit in more detail.

i'm looking forward to seeing it again.

scott1598,
i don't think the outer box is bad- just the digipak design and the menu screens.
i'm not adverse to using the characters headshots on each panel, but the way it was done just doesn't get me going.
but then again, when i originally saw pics of the holo-cover on line, i thought that sucked too, and was very disappointed.
it wasn't unitl i saw it in person that i thought it looked really sharp.
i kind wish they had left the theatrical cut out of the UE set, then it would make both purchases valid (and cut down the msrp of the UE).
as it is, there is really no reason for me to be keeping the single disc, save for the fact that i love the design of the packaging.
Old 08-27-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak
i kind wish they had left the theatrical cut out of the UE set, then it would make both purchases valid (and cut down the msrp of the UE).
as it is, there is really no reason for me to be keeping the single disc, save for the fact that i love the design of the packaging.
Yeah, I here ya. Even though I have the OOP Anniversary disc, I picked up the Divimax disc earlier this year even though I knew AB was releasing the boxset later. A knee-jerk reaction I guess... because whenever I hear "Anchor Bay" and "Dawn of the Dead" the word "delay" immediately comes to mind.
Old 08-31-04, 12:28 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
So the Andy Warwhol version is different from the newer Divx release? How so? Was it just a few seconds of footage/dialogue? Glad I kept my original (and got the new divx, and will get the boxset tuesday)
Old 08-31-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
So the Andy Warwhol version is different from the newer Divx release? How so? Was it just a few seconds of footage/dialogue? Glad I kept my original (and got the new divx, and will get the boxset tuesday)
Although it's supposed to be the US theatrical cut, the "Andy Warhol"-cover disc mistakenly features one reel taken from the Cannes cut. It's a goof, and not a bonafide version of the film that should be taken seriously for that anomaly alone.

(BTW, the newer disc is a "Divimax" release, which is a very different thing than "Divx.")

DJ

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.