Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Dead Box set (1978 original) - 9/7

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dawn of the Dead Box set (1978 original) - 9/7

Old 07-23-04, 09:47 AM
  #126  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,701
Originally posted by jough
But is this the record for the most different cuts of a film in one package?
'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' (Ultimate Edition) had three different cuts also.

Some people would argue that 'Rocky Horror' did as well, but one of those cuts (the easter egg one) is not a different cut, per se, it's just black and white for a half hour.
ThatGuamGuy is offline  
Old 07-23-04, 10:00 AM
  #127  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 433
Originally posted by Rypro 525
where in hunt valley? and why there out of all places?

It's at the Marriot Hunt Valley Inn on 245 Shawan Road.

http://www.horrorfindweekend.com/location.html

Last edited by ftsoh; 07-23-04 at 10:07 AM.
ftsoh is offline  
Old 07-23-04, 03:40 PM
  #128  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Posts: 4,533
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' (Ultimate Edition) had three different cuts also.
Yes, and it did so with seamless branching on a single disc.

I guess this is the first four disc boxed set I've seen where three of the discs are versions of the film.

In any case, it looks like a great package, but hardly record-setting in terms of extras. All of the LotR EEs, Black Hawk Down, and Panic Room have had two discs of extras each for a single film.
jough is offline  
Old 08-22-04, 07:08 PM
  #129  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: L.A., CA
Posts: 92
Awright, ghouls, DVDfile has put a review up today:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...hedead_ue.html

SWEET!
Without doubt this is gonna be THE horror DVD relase of the year!
Bitchin'!!! I just can't wait.



ILSA
ILSA is offline  
Old 08-22-04, 07:17 PM
  #130  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,026
Good to such a good review, though not surprising. Can't wait to clutch this in my arms and hold it tight
TomOpus is offline  
Old 08-22-04, 07:23 PM
  #131  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,042
I was at the Hunt Valley Inn last weekend, look who all I managed to get to sign my Dawn of the Dead poster:



demonio is offline  
Old 08-22-04, 07:25 PM
  #132  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,074
Thanks for the review!

September 7th will be an expensive day haha.
asianxcore is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 10:10 AM
  #133  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,232
Here's another great review for this masterful opus...
http://www.dvdcorner.net/html/dawndeadue.html

My question...Is there any reason to keep the Divimax version "Dawn of the Dead" or is this the complete exact 1st disc of the Box Set? Thanks for help.
OldBoy is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 12:24 PM
  #134  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Johnny Zhivago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Korova Milkbar
Posts: 5,435
Originally posted by scott1598
My question...Is there any reason to keep the Divimax version "Dawn of the Dead" or is this the complete exact 1st disc of the Box Set? Thanks for help.
Almost positive that it's the exact same disc... That said, if you're a DOTD fanatic, there were two covers printed for the Divimax release. The difference is in the lettering... The first (limited) wave had a gold holofoil printing on the cover (the words Dawn Of The Dead). The second wave and current in stock version at - I'd wager - damn_near all retailers features yellow print.

Small reason, but if you own the holofoil cover, it's a reason.
Johnny Zhivago is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 12:52 PM
  #135  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,647
frankly, the packaging for the UE doesn't do anything for me at all- very uninspired- and that extends to the menu screens as well.

most people will shrug that stuff off as unimportant, but to me, a set like this is the equivilent of a coffee table book- and general presentation is a significant aspect to me.

i could have brainstormed any number of other design schemes for this set
-a collection of world wide one sheet art for every panel of the digipak
-a mall blueprint running across the back of the digipak (would have fit the wide, short format of the opened digipak perfectly)

and whats with the generic 'horror skull head' on the menu screen?

this is supposed to be a prestige production
for AB, and the content is truly great, but the style of packaging just instills in me a big, fat "meh".


by contrast, though it wasn't filled to bursting with goodies, i found the March single disc release to be wholly satisfying.
every aspect- from packaging to content- and the bonus was, its a nice trim single disc amray doesn't take up much space at all.
maybe thats why i'm non-pulsed by the images of the UE set.
not only is it graphically uninspiring, its also going to hog up a lot more precious shelf space.

i know that is a minority opinion.
ckolchak is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 03:23 PM
  #136  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,232
Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Almost positive that it's the exact same disc... That said, if you're a DOTD fanatic, there were two covers printed for the Divimax release. The difference is in the lettering... The first (limited) wave had a gold holofoil printing on the cover (the words Dawn Of The Dead). The second wave and current in stock version at - I'd wager - damn_near all retailers features yellow print.

Small reason, but if you own the holofoil cover, it's a reason.
Will this be collectible eventually like some of the other DotD releases then? Maybe i shouldn't sell it for $8.00.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-26-04 at 03:37 PM.
OldBoy is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 03:42 PM
  #137  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,232
Originally posted by ckolchak
frankly, the packaging for the UE doesn't do anything for me at all- very uninspired- and that extends to the menu screens as well.

most people will shrug that stuff off as unimportant, but to me, a set like this is the equivilent of a coffee table book- and general presentation is a significant aspect to me.

i could have brainstormed any number of other design schemes for this set
-a collection of world wide one sheet art for every panel of the digipak
-a mall blueprint running across the back of the digipak (would have fit the wide, short format of the opened digipak perfectly)

and whats with the generic 'horror skull head' on the menu screen?

this is supposed to be a prestige production
for AB, and the content is truly great, but the style of packaging just instills in me a big, fat "meh".


by contrast, though it wasn't filled to bursting with goodies, i found the March single disc release to be wholly satisfying.
every aspect- from packaging to content- and the bonus was, its a nice trim single disc amray doesn't take up much space at all.
maybe thats why i'm non-pulsed by the images of the UE set.
not only is it graphically uninspiring, its also going to hog up a lot more precious shelf space.

i know that is a minority opinion.
i think the artwork is quite striking. very simple and very defined red and black. maybe could have done something better with the digipak rather than characters head, like you mentioned. but it is packed plain and simple and should make all fans of this movie and this genre salivate.
also, it doesn't look any bigger than a Double Alpha when closed. Not too much shelf space at all.

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-26-04 at 03:46 PM.
OldBoy is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 03:54 PM
  #138  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Johnny Zhivago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Korova Milkbar
Posts: 5,435
Scott - You got me... Maybe, dunno, doubt it? I had planned on trading or selling my Divimax copy, but since I do have the holofoil cover, I may just keep it... Hell, it didn't cost that much to begin with.
Johnny Zhivago is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 04:00 PM
  #139  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 509
So if I'm interested in mainly the movie, would the divimax or this box be the best way to go? Wasn't sure if the divimax or the uncut version is superior. Thanks!
dhs122 is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 05:44 PM
  #140  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,232
Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Scott - You got me... Maybe, dunno, doubt it? I had planned on trading or selling my Divimax copy, but since I do have the holofoil cover, I may just keep it... Hell, it didn't cost that much to begin with.
my sentiments exactly. i'll keep it around. no harm no foul. if anything it will be easier to pop in, then to unfold the sweet digipak when i get (at least that's the rationale i am using).
OldBoy is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 05:55 PM
  #141  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 33,026
Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Almost positive that it's the exact same disc... That said, if you're a DOTD fanatic, there were two covers printed for the Divimax release. The difference is in the lettering... The first (limited) wave had a gold holofoil printing on the cover (the words Dawn Of The Dead). The second wave and current in stock version at - I'd wager - damn_near all retailers features yellow print.
I never noticed this! Interesting...

I just checked mine and it looks like I have the foil one. I can't get rid of mine anyways because I had Ken Foree sign it.
TomOpus is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 06:01 PM
  #142  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 37,232
I know it's funny the way these things are. I see the pics now for the yellow lettering. Why did Anchor Bay do this you think?
OldBoy is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 06:24 PM
  #143  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Mountain Biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,413
Originally posted by dhs122
So if I'm interested in mainly the movie, would the divimax or this box be the best way to go? Wasn't sure if the divimax or the uncut version is superior. Thanks!

Even if extras aren't your thing, I'd definitely still recommend the Box Set because it will feature three versions of the movie.

I can't wait!
Mountain Biker is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 07:01 PM
  #144  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,688
Originally posted by dhs122
So if I'm interested in mainly the movie, would the divimax or this box be the best way to go? Wasn't sure if the divimax or the uncut version is superior. Thanks!

Yes it will be the best way to go and IS uncut!

The longer version included in the box set is not a 'directors uncensored cut' or anything. It is just purely a rough cut of the film,before some tweaking(& the original score) was added resulting in the great theatrical version...which has always been uncensored.

The longer rough print version drags severely in my opinion,and it lacks the great music used in the theatrical(real directors cut) version.
Julie Walker is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 07:24 PM
  #145  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,742
Just a reminder, those of us with the OOP Dawn "Anniversary Edition" (with the "Andy Warhol" cover) may want to consider holding on to that disc even though we're picking up the boxset. The version on the Anniversary disc is different than the 3 that are included in the boxset.
sracer is offline  
Old 08-26-04, 11:05 PM
  #146  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
does any one have an official run time on the 3 versions? i know the theatrical cut is 127, but ive heard so many different variations on the other 2 cuts.
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 08-27-04, 08:23 AM
  #147  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,647
this is one film like Aliens, where i like the longer Cannes cut just as much if not more than the theatrical cut.
the pacing doesn't drag for me, and i like spending time with these characters, and seeing the world they inhabit in more detail.

i'm looking forward to seeing it again.

scott1598,
i don't think the outer box is bad- just the digipak design and the menu screens.
i'm not adverse to using the characters headshots on each panel, but the way it was done just doesn't get me going.
but then again, when i originally saw pics of the holo-cover on line, i thought that sucked too, and was very disappointed.
it wasn't unitl i saw it in person that i thought it looked really sharp.
i kind wish they had left the theatrical cut out of the UE set, then it would make both purchases valid (and cut down the msrp of the UE).
as it is, there is really no reason for me to be keeping the single disc, save for the fact that i love the design of the packaging.
ckolchak is offline  
Old 08-27-04, 08:44 AM
  #148  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,742
Originally posted by ckolchak
i kind wish they had left the theatrical cut out of the UE set, then it would make both purchases valid (and cut down the msrp of the UE).
as it is, there is really no reason for me to be keeping the single disc, save for the fact that i love the design of the packaging.
Yeah, I here ya. Even though I have the OOP Anniversary disc, I picked up the Divimax disc earlier this year even though I knew AB was releasing the boxset later. A knee-jerk reaction I guess... because whenever I hear "Anchor Bay" and "Dawn of the Dead" the word "delay" immediately comes to mind.
sracer is offline  
Old 08-31-04, 12:28 AM
  #149  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,396
So the Andy Warwhol version is different from the newer Divx release? How so? Was it just a few seconds of footage/dialogue? Glad I kept my original (and got the new divx, and will get the boxset tuesday)
Gizmo is offline  
Old 08-31-04, 12:45 AM
  #150  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Astoria, NY, USA
Posts: 3,333
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
So the Andy Warwhol version is different from the newer Divx release? How so? Was it just a few seconds of footage/dialogue? Glad I kept my original (and got the new divx, and will get the boxset tuesday)
Although it's supposed to be the US theatrical cut, the "Andy Warhol"-cover disc mistakenly features one reel taken from the Cannes cut. It's a goof, and not a bonafide version of the film that should be taken seriously for that anomaly alone.

(BTW, the newer disc is a "Divimax" release, which is a very different thing than "Divx.")

DJ
djtoell is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.