DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   The Passion Of The Christ --> Aug. 31 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/363326-passion-christ-aug-31-a.html)

Mao 05-10-04 12:01 PM

The Passion Of The Christ --> Aug. 31

From Video Business:

With The Passion of the Christ finally appearing to end its phenomenal run as the first of the summer tentpoles hit U.S. theaters last weekend, Fox and Mel Gibson's Icon Prods. have finally officially confirmed a late August release date for the DVD version (VB, 4-21).

Fox plans an Aug. 31 (prebook Aug. 4) release date, just three weeks prior to the studio's first DVD release of the Star Wars Trilogy on Sept. 21, which could give Fox two of the biggest releases of the year less than a monthm apart.

With the R-rated Passion generating nearly $370 million in the U.S.
alone to rank among the Top 10 moneymakers of all time, industry observers believe at least 15 million DVD copies could be sold domestically and come close to doubling the box-office gross.

Fox is targeting the church market hard, setting up bulk ordering at a special Web site where customized "church sleeves" and other church-oriented marketing and promotional materials can be downloaded.

The studio's sister News Corp. international Christian communications company Zondervan will handle distribution to retailer members of the Christian Booksellers Association.

Coming as somewhat of a surprise, the Aug. 31 edition of the two-hour Passion will be a single-disc release with few if any bonus features and tagged with a retail price of $29.98. A spokesman for Fox said every effort was made to use the maximum digital bit rate during the transfer to present the movie with the highest quality picture and audio, including sound in 5.1 Dolby Digital and 5.1 DTS, optional widescreen or pan-and-scan and English or Spanish subtitles on the film, in which all the dialog is either in Aramaic or Latin.

Although the studio would not comment, it is believed that a follow-up special edition is being planned for a potential release at Christmas or
Easter.

There has also been discussion about a theatrical rerelease of the film. International DVD release plans are still being determined.

Groucho 05-10-04 12:03 PM

I imagine after Gibson dies and is canonized, August 31 will be henceforth known as "Saint Mel's Day."

BlackBeauty92 05-10-04 12:08 PM

i guess they're really trying so hard to milk this sucker dry

ReduxGuy 05-10-04 12:14 PM

Yes on DTS.

Boo on minimal features and fullscreen.

The fullscreen, no-DTS, and not so many features was what ruined the FvsJ DVD for me.

Rogue588 05-10-04 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Mao
Although the studio would not comment, it is believed that a follow-up special edition is being planned for a potential release at Christmas or Easter.
I agree with BlackBeauty92. Why don't they just wait the extra three months and release the SE during the X-Mas season? While i'm glad the studio is at least announcing their intentions, this smacks of greed..

but, what did I really expect from a film that merchandised necklaces with replica SPIKES dangling off of 'em... -ohbfrank-

antennaball 05-10-04 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
I agree with BlackBeauty92. Why don't they just wait the extra three months and release the SE during the X-Mas season? While i'm glad the studio is at least announcing their intentions, this smacks of greed..

Was there this much complaining when LOTR did the same thing?

BlackBeauty92 05-10-04 12:35 PM

the thing is, i can't believe that they're trying to milk in on "church people"

this is a movie about Christ & they still treat it as a merchandise...
talk about respect

i dunno, maybe i'm hoping too much or maybe being too sensitive

Static Cling 05-10-04 01:25 PM

Originally posted by ReduxGuy
Boo on minimal features and fullscreen.
Widescreen is optional. Is it just the extra space on the disc that fullscreen takes up that bothers you?

Originally posted by antennaball
Was there this much complaining when LOTR did the same thing?
I thought Peter Jackson was much clearer on his plans.

ZackR 05-10-04 01:25 PM

English or Spanish subtitles on the film, in which all the dialog is either in Aramaic or Latin.
I want burned-in subs. I HATE (really hate) player-generated ones. Yes, I know they are necessary sometimes and I know some of them "look really nice" or whatever, but still, when I saw the movie theatrically, it had subs and I want the SAME ONES on the DVD. I do not want player-generated ones. The dialog in this film is very important (though not very plentiful), they should be burned in in my opinion to gurantee no errors...

matome 05-10-04 01:31 PM

I'm glad to be able to have the movie early. Not interested in an SE, so widescreen & DTS will do nicely for me. Too bad the pan & scan version is taking up disk space, but what can you do?

ThatGuamGuy 05-10-04 01:35 PM

I want burned-in subs.
I disagree, I want to be able to choose the option of not seeing them, to see the film as Mel Gibson had originally intended. I really want to see the movie as a visual thing, because the dialogue, I thought, was generally not very good, occassionally didn't make sense/didn't match what was going on, and, at best, was just verbatim from the Bible anyway and, thus, I could always check to see what was being said if I really wanted to know. Or I could just flip on the *optional* subtitles.

Yes, no question, this is the only feature on this DVD that sounds good to me, these not burned-in subtitles.

NaturalMystic79 05-10-04 01:44 PM

I'm very disappointed with the lack of extras. I was hoping a 2 or 3 disc Special Edition with a commentary track, featurette, deleted scenes, ect. I'm guessing they are going to make another release in '05 to "milk it" as stated earlier.

William Fuld 05-10-04 01:45 PM

While i'm glad the studio is at least announcing their intentions, this smacks of greed..
They announced their intentions? According to that article they refused to comment about a special edition.

Bandit03 05-10-04 01:49 PM

Hopefully well get some kind of confirmation on a date for the SE before the initial barebones release so we can decide whether or not to get the barebones

ZackR 05-10-04 02:14 PM

Well, I can see the argument for player-generated subs. I guess to be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing it without subs since that is what he originally wanted. If that is the case though, I want them to re-insert the scenes (OK, not scenes, but subs) he cut not because he wanted to necessarily, but because of politcal correctness. Still, generally, I HATE player generated subtitles.

Class316 05-10-04 02:22 PM

While I’d prefer if the subs were burnt in, I can understand the logic behind player generated subs. This way it’s easier to port into different languages all around the world.

Hopefully they’ll include subs that were censored.

LasVegasMichael 05-10-04 02:25 PM

I will definately be purchasing this DVD eventually, but will wait until the SE if it does come to fruition.

It will be a blind buy for me, and I am really looking forward to it!

billy9215 05-10-04 02:26 PM

pass

Rogue588 05-10-04 02:29 PM

Originally posted by William Fuld
They announced their intentions? According to that article they refused to comment about a special edition.
Yes, they announced that there would be a forthcoming SE. Not necessarily what would be on it...just that there would be one.

The Exister 05-10-04 02:53 PM

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
I'm very disappointed with the lack of extras. I was hoping a 2 or 3 disc Special Edition with a commentary track, featurette, deleted scenes, ect. I'm guessing they are going to make another release in '05 to "milk it" as stated earlier.
Oh well, I guess we'll get the wacky outtakes of Gibson clowning around on the set later (doing his Curly impressions, etc).

bunkaroo 05-10-04 03:42 PM

how about an outtake of Jim Caviezel getting struck by lightning?

Gerry P. 05-10-04 03:57 PM

Originally posted by bunkaroo
how about an outtake of Jim Caviezel getting struck by lightning?
...as if that actually happened.

majorjoe23 05-10-04 04:13 PM

Yes, they announced that there would be a forthcoming SE. Not necessarily what would be on it...just that there would be one.
Where did they make this announcement? This release says it's believed a special edition is forthcoming, but the studio wouldn't comment. That's not much of an annoucement.

Hendrik 05-10-04 04:16 PM

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92
...this is a movie about Christ & they still treat it as a merchandise...
...you are joking, yes?... (I read where good old Mel stands to make - at least! - 100Million cool American Dollars
off the movie - and off the tasteful TPOTC mugs - and off the equally tasteful TPOTC "Passion Nail" pendants on leather thongs and whatnot)

. . . :o . . .

bunkaroo 05-10-04 04:56 PM

I thought that did happen...was I a victim of a rumor?

I stand uncorrected-here's a link:

Caviezel struck by lightning at CNN.com