DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Lars von Trier's THE IDIOTS coming to Region 1? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/360987-lars-von-triers-idiots-coming-region-1-a.html)

bjackson 04-27-04 09:07 PM

Lars von Trier's THE IDIOTS coming to Region 1?

I read this today on dvdenfrancais.com. It lists the upcoming releases from the Alliance Atlantis label in Canada:

Alliance Atlantis: En magasin le 27 juillet 2004, deux films danois; The Celebration et The Idiots. Voici les spécifications de ces deux éditions DVD.

The Celebration: titre original Festen, réalisation de Thomas Vinterberg. Format d'image respecté de 1.33:1 (transfert 4:3). Bandes sonores danoise (format non précisé) et française (Dolby 2.0 Surround). Option de sous-titrage en anglais et français. Suppléments: aucun.

The Idiots: titre original Idiotern, réalisation de Lars von Trier. Format d'image respecté de 1.85:1 (transfert 16:9?). Bandes sonores danoise (format non précisé) et française (Dolby 2.0 stéréo). Option de sous-titrage en anglais et français. Suppléments: aucun.

Source: DVDenfrancais.com

Translation:

In stores July 27, 2004, two Danish films; The Celebration and The Idiots. Here are the specs for the two DVD's.

The Celebration: Original title Festen, directed by Thomas Vinterberg. Image format 1.33:1 (transfer 4:3). Danish and French soundtracks. Optional subtitles in English and French. No supplements.

The Idiots: Original title Idioterne, directed by Lars von Trier. Image format 1.85:1. 16x9 transfer. Danish and French soundtracks. English and French optional subtitles. No supplements.

Dan Average 04-27-04 10:41 PM

Image format 1.85:1.
Don't like the sound of this. Hopefully it's just a mistake.

jomalley2001 04-27-04 11:04 PM

Not sure about the Idiots. But Celebration is coming to Us region 1.

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...p?titleId=2532

Count me in for both.

copiedline 04-27-04 11:14 PM

two excellent films. hopefully they're good releases.

Dan Average 04-28-04 01:59 AM

Haven't seen anything about a U.S. release of The Idiots. I will get the Canadian release if it's in the correct AR, otherwise I see no reason to bother replacing my Tartan disc. The Canadian release of The Celebration looks like it may have one up on the U.S. release, since according to UHV's website the U.S. version has burnt-in English subs as opposed to optional subs on the Canadian release.

Bleddyn Williams 04-28-04 08:49 AM

The Idiots is supposed to be 1.33:1. Cropping to 1.85:1 is more extreme than Tartan's disc.

Mind you, given the film and style of shooting, it might not matter that much!

bdots48 04-28-04 02:10 PM

I got the butchered korean version - avoid that one.

Richard Malloy 07-12-04 10:56 AM

I also got that butchered disc -- not worth watching! My VHS dub off Cinemax is way better.

1.85:1 -- ack! That's way worse than the Tartan crop! And not for nothin', but the "vows of chastity" or whatever demand Academy Ratio for all dogme films. You'd think they'd get this right.

Any updates on specs?

mcarver 07-25-04 04:13 PM

If anyone picks up the Canadian release, can you let us know what the actual aspect ratio is?

tia

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
The Idiots is supposed to be 1.33:1. Cropping to 1.85:1 is more extreme than Tartan's disc.

mcarver 07-25-04 04:51 PM

DVD Soon shows the Idiots to be 1.33:1 (here's hoping it's true)

http://www.dvdsoon.com/show-title-de...xml?uid=113966

Parcher 07-25-04 05:20 PM

Any danes in this thread?

mcarver 09-26-04 07:09 PM

Bump.....

Originally posted by mcarver
If anyone picks up the Canadian release, can you let us know what the actual aspect ratio is?

tia

mjlukich 09-26-04 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Parcher
Not a Dane myself, but we have some good friends in Denmark. Been there, in fact.

Cameron McGaughy 09-27-04 09:03 AM

does anyone know if the Alliance "Idiots" DVD is the uncut version? I know there is a Region 2 UK ediiton that is uncut (I believe they all have the same running time, although the uncut version doesn't have the black bars over portions of the controversial sex scenes...)

jdrouette 09-27-04 01:53 PM

I have the Alliance /Atlantis release and can confirm that it is 4:3 (full screen) and fully uncut, with optional English or French subtitles. Picture quality is as good as can be expected...

Unfortunately, absolutely no extras. The French R2 release had a hilarious music video sung by Von Trier and the "idiots".

jd

DanishDVDfreak 09-27-04 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Parcher
Now there is...at your service :)

mjlukich 09-27-04 07:11 PM

Originally posted by DanishDVDfreak
Now there is...at your service :)
We visited friends in Silkeborg several years back. Where do you live?

DanishDVDfreak 09-27-04 10:37 PM

I live about 10 km outside of a city called Vejle in the middle of Jutland...Silkeborg is in the northeren part of Jutland

mjlukich 09-27-04 11:46 PM

Originally posted by DanishDVDfreak
I live about 10 km outside of a city called Vejle in the middle of Jutland...Silkeborg is in the northeren part of Jutland
I hope to make it back to Denmark in about 2 or 3 years. Time constaints were such that we made our last trip during the winter; next time we will come in the summer.