DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Dawn of the Dead remake DVD, Unrated - 25 extra mins. - Release 7/26 ? (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/360321-dawn-dead-remake-dvd-unrated-25-extra-mins-release-7-26-merged.html)

sirbrady 04-23-04 07:07 PM

Dawn of the Dead remake DVD, Unrated - 25 extra mins coming 7/26!

ADMIN NOTE: Don't crap this thread up with posts about how you hate the remake and how Zack Snyder destroyed your warm childhood memories of shambling zombies. If in doubt, read the threadcrap thread. Thanks. -- Static

According to Dark Horizons, so who knows.

"Dawn of the Dead (DVD): Zack Snyder has apparently convinced the suits to let him release an unrated version of Dawn of the Dead with 25 minutes of extra footage. One of the special features on the disc will be a video diary of Andy the gunshop owner"

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040423e.php

UPDATED INFO:

http://www.creature-corner.com/dvd/apr23dotd.php3

I have to admit it, Dawn of the Dead kicked ass. A fun, big, bloody zombie movie the likes of which I never thought we'd never see on the big screen, but there it is. The crow has been eaten, I take back all the precognitive premonitions I had made as to it's suck-factor. It rocked.

And it's coming to DVD! Obviously. The Zombie Army site, which apparently you can only access if you're a member of, announced that the disc will most likely be hitting on July 26th, according to one of our great readers. Cause nothing goes with sweltering heat like the rotting dead, that's what I've always said.

No features have been announced as of yet, but Dark Horizons reported from an anonymous source that director Zack Snyder has convinced the suits to allow the movie to be 25 minutes longer (!), and one of the features may be a video diary of Andy the gun shop owner. Nice!

Now we just have to sit back and wait for someone to announce all this officially..

Julie Walker 04-23-04 07:09 PM

Well that is great news if true:)

But we will wait & see. Since the director originally stated 10 minutes of added footage when released theatrically.

flashburn 04-23-04 07:28 PM

That rocks!

Jackskeleton 04-23-04 07:30 PM

I really don't think there is any reason to "convience the suits". Studio heads already know the potential of sales when you slap on "unrated" on a dvd cover. Not to mention that this is nothing new to Universal, Home of the many different rated and unrated versions of America Pie.

The director did state that there was a lot of footage cut out and julie, I do think they originally said 25 minutes opposed to the 10 minute (perhaps confussing comments about the first 10 minute shown on USA?) would show up on the dvd with more character developement since many character developement was left on the cutting room floor in order to save on time.

Julie Walker 04-23-04 07:38 PM

Nope,go back & check out his interviews before the release & he mentions alot being cut because of the MPAA..& that 10 minutes would be added for an unrated release,5 minutes of more gore..& 5 of more charecterization...& rememner he chimed in 'not that anyone wants to see that!'. Which alot of people took offense to,depsite being a joke I am sure.

Yet if it turns out to be 25 minutes,that will be pretty cool as well..& no this won't be a 'gimmick' this time. Since alot of gore was cut out to avoid an NC-17. So it will be worth checking out,just for that:)

Jackskeleton 04-23-04 07:43 PM

Well I was at one of the Q&A's but hey, who cares what I heard first hand.... right?

I wasn't implying that this was a gimmick unrated like many other dvd's have. I was simply stating that studios have no problem (well besides disney) releasing a "Unrated" version even if it isn't unrated. So you don't have to pull there arm to get them to do it. as the article makes it seem zack had to do to conveince them to do it.

kaze0 04-23-04 08:14 PM

I still want the theatrical version.

Jackskeleton 04-23-04 08:46 PM

If it's anything like Universals track record, there will be the Unrated and the rated version. So you will have to buy two versions to get both I assume. lets see what the specs look like when it comes time for release.

QuiGonJosh 04-23-04 08:58 PM

maybe they'll slow down the zombies to normal speed and thats the extra 25min... :D

Peep 04-23-04 09:38 PM

I saw it a couple of nights ago and was totally underimpressed. It started off strong and just petered out.

Spoiler:
And what was up with that young couple. I don't even remember seeing the boyfriend before until he started yelling about saving her when she went for the dog. Maybe they'll get some time earlier in the movie in the extended cut.

Jackskeleton 04-23-04 09:40 PM

You must have been asleep, the young couple was made up by one of the younger security guards who was Always in the mall and the daughter who was brought in with the truck group.

Tony Dvdfan 04-23-04 09:57 PM

I cant wait for this dvd regardless, an unrated cut, perhaps with DTS would be great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Groucho 04-23-04 10:27 PM

My preference would be a set with both versions, but honestly I'll take anything they shovel at me.

Rypro 525 04-23-04 10:31 PM

wonder if the chainsaw scene is extended. it looked chopped up in the theatrical release.

Matthew Chmiel 04-24-04 12:49 AM

Since the director originally stated 10 minutes of added footage when released theatrically.
He said that five of those minutes would be of more gore and the other five would be of more character development.

If this rumor is true, I hope we get more gore and even more character development. One of my few problems was the remake (even if I enjoyed it greatly) was that the film was too rushed in it's current 95 minute state. If the director gave the film more time to flesh itself out, it could've come close to being "the best remake of all time."

I'm all for a two hour director's cut. BRING IT ON!

DVDude! 04-24-04 02:31 AM

I FINALLY saw this Thursday night, a double feature at a drive-in outside of Atlanta. (The first feature was Kill Bill Volume 2.) Prior to seeing it, I hated the idea of running zombies, but I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly and one of their critics has drawn a lot of ire from horror fans for saying the original 1978 version is "cheesy." She rated the "reimagining" an A, to the best of my knowledge. I agree. Although I own the original Dawn (the newest DVD), I'm passing on the super-deluxe version due out later this year. The original is good and the social commentary is dead on (no pun intended), but it is cheesy to an extent (flame away). The remake is actually quite effective, has human touches, and held my interest throughout. All the characters were well-defined too. For the remake, I'd definitely buy a super-deluxe version. I was that impressed. I look forward to 25 more minutes of both gore and characterization. Bring it on!

(Oh, and the Andy's video diary special feature sounds very cool. Although he's barely in the film, his character is very memorable--yet another reason that this film deserves praise.)

sirbrady 04-24-04 08:05 AM

I found a release date on Creature Corner so I included it. 7/26... Can't wait

steebo777 04-24-04 10:19 AM

I'm all over the unrated version, as long as it includes parts of the film that should be thrown in.

Romerojpg 04-24-04 10:27 AM

Hope the film gets extended as much as they can well over 2 hours would be better, as the film was superb, but did feel very rushed, an hour longer at least minimun. :)

and hope they do the dvd well and not the usual Universal crap.

RyoHazuki 04-24-04 11:59 AM

Im glad they are releasing it over the summer and not waiting for a Halloween release.

Romerojpg 04-24-04 12:02 PM

Threres bound to be another Haloween release from Anchor Bay between now and then :)

Peep 04-24-04 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You must have been asleep, the young couple was made up by one of the younger security guards who was Always in the mall and the daughter who was brought in with the truck group.

Oops. Duh.

Adam Tyner 04-24-04 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Romerojpg
Threres bound to be another Haloween release from Anchor Bay between now and then :)
Threrererereres not going to be a release of this one from Anchor Bay, though, since it's a Universal title.

TomOpus 04-24-04 03:31 PM

I was going to pick this up regardless.... more dead is good dead

matome 04-24-04 03:33 PM

Looking forward to this, even without the addition of scenes. If the 25 min is true, it's just extra gravy for me!