DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Hitchcock from WB? Give me info (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/356380-hitchcock-wb-give-me-info.html)

Megatron 04-02-04 11:39 AM

Hitchcock from WB? Give me info

Did a search... I know i read they were releasing Dial M for Murder among others in a 2-disc. Hope they do a new Box. Please direct me to that post, and might as well open up the thread for discussion.

Also is MgM still going to release all the Hitch OOP anchor bay disc...i need paradine case

jough 04-02-04 05:49 PM

They announced in a chat at the HTF last month that they'd be releasing a Hitchcock boxed set with what I believe is their entire run of Hitchcock films (four?).

Paul Drake 04-03-04 07:37 AM

Actually they annouced 7 never before on DVD Hitchcock titles. I got the impression that these were single discs.

Strangers on a Train is currently being restored. It has previously been released on a DVD (which I have and it is not bad at all).

I have not read anything about "Dial M" being a 2 disc SE.

Most people suspect the 7 films are:

Suspicion
Foreign Correspondent
Dial M for Murder
I Confess
Stage Fright
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Wrong Man

Hopefully an official annoucement will be out this spring.

jough 04-03-04 12:34 PM

I don't know if I'd buy the boxed set if they also included Strangers on a Train and North By Northwest in the set - already have both of those and don't know if SoaT is worth the double-dip - nothing wrong with the current disc.

PatrickMcCart 04-03-04 12:38 PM

It'll just be those 7 films.

Once Warner releases those, all of his 1940-1976 films will be on DVD in proper form (of course, with the exception of Lifeboat, although it seems like a likely 2004 release).

Hopefully, companies like Criterion, Kino, and Image will perhaps work on proper DVD's of Hitchcock's British films.

kingtopher 04-03-04 01:28 PM

Originally posted by PatrickMcCart

Once Warner releases those, all of his 1940-1976 films will be on DVD in proper form.

Hopefully, companies like Criterion, Kino, and Image will perhaps work on proper DVD's of Hitchcock's British films.

Criterion has said they will be releasing another Hitchcock movie this year at some point (I believe).

k_lodge 04-03-04 01:30 PM

Originally posted by PatrickMcCart

Once Warner releases those, all of his 1940-1976 films will be on DVD in proper form.

Actually there is still Lifeboat, which is a Fox title, that has not been released. Hopefully they will include it in their Studio Classics series sometimes this year

jough 04-03-04 02:11 PM

Originally posted by k_lodge
Actually there is still Lifeboat, which is a Fox title, that has not been released. Hopefully they will include it in their Studio Classics series sometimes this year
It's under their "Studio Classics" banner on VHS, so that's a possibility, yes.

Megatron 04-04-04 05:26 PM

Great info. How about paraine case though. I do wish we would get some more cleaneed up british films.

Megatron 04-05-04 04:54 PM

funny thing about the paraine case...it has started going for 50 bucks online.

Filmmaker 04-07-04 10:48 PM

Paradine, my friend...Paradine...

Megatron 04-14-04 04:58 PM

ha ha twice the fool it seems...paradine, paradine, paradine...excuse me while I practice typing

ThatGuamGuy 04-14-04 05:32 PM

funny thing about the paradine case...it has started going for 50 bucks online.
Wooooah ... that's so weird.

My collection was stolen about a year ago, and when I started re-collecting, I figured I'd start with OOP stuff. And I expanded, slightly, to go after pretty much any OOP thing which I'd be interested in for one reason or another.

Anyway, one of the first ones I bought was 'Paradine Case', because I knew it was out of print and, yet, it was still really, really cheap. (Like ten bucks with shipping.)

Incidentally, though, the R2 is a better disc, if you have multi-region capabilities. It has an interview with Hitchcock (though I don't think it's specific to the film, just a general one.)

In fact, maybe it's time I sold off my R1, before it gets announced as coming back in print (as they always do...). I mean, I wasn't gonna, but $50?? Silly E-bayers.

jough 04-14-04 05:49 PM

I just received notice that "The Paradine Case" has shipped with my new Columbia House enrollment order.

So if you're looking for it, there you go.

mookiemeister 04-15-04 12:05 AM

I can't wait for Suspicion and Dial M for Murder DVDs. Anyone know when they will release them?

Chew 04-15-04 06:24 AM

Cool, I've been waiting for Foreign Correspondent and Dial M to finally make their way to DVD. :)

Geofferson 04-15-04 08:45 AM

Especially looking forward to The Wrong Man {crosses fingers}

Megatron 04-28-04 01:28 PM

you see i was looking for a date myself...

Cameron 05-04-04 03:48 PM

i just wonder if universal will release the hitchcock presents disc on the franchise collection label.

Cameron 05-17-04 11:11 AM

has anyone watched kino's jamaica inn dvd. wanting to get it, but wanted to know what was on it. no reviews to be found

FilmFanSea 05-17-04 01:48 PM

Reviews of Kino's Jamaica Inn:

DVD Beaver
Films On Disc

Spiral Staircase 06-07-04 11:59 AM

"DVD consumers can stop biting their nails. Seven films from Alfred Hitchcock, the iconic Master of Suspense, will be available on DVD for the first time Sept. 7.

Classics to be unveiled from Warner Home Video are Dial M for Murder, Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion, The Wrong Man, Stage Fright, I Confess and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

The titles will be sold separately and as part of a nine-film boxed set entitled The Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection. Individual prices are set at $19.97, with the exception of a re-issue of Strangers On a Train: Two-Disc Special Edition, which will retail for $26.99. The deluxe package, including the seven fresh releases, Strangers and a re-release of North by Northwest, is priced at $99.92.

Most of Hitchcock's films have been available on DVD from Universal Studios Home Video for years, acknowledged George Feltenstein, senior VP classic catalog at WHV. But these Warner seven represented "a gaping hole in the body of work of Hitchcock," Feltenstein said.

"Some of these are his very best," he added. "They're the ones the fans have been waiting for."

Mr. and Mrs. Smith--no relation to the upcoming Brad Pitt feature--is the sole comedy Hitchcock ever directed. Also, Dial M and Stage Fright boast the star power of Grace Kelly and Marlene Dietrich, respectively.

After this batch, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment's Lifeboat will be one of the few remaining Hitchcock titles not yet out on DVD.

Almost all the Warner titles will come bundled with new making-of documentaries. And the re-issue of Strangers includes both the original film version and an edition uncovered in 1991 and released theatrically in 1996.

The re-issue of North by Northwest is boxed with a music-only track of Bernard Herrmann's classic score. Other highlights from the releases include movie premiere news footage tagged onto Dial M, Henry Fonda-vehicle The Wrong Man and Montgomery Clift-starrer I Confess."

ZackR 06-07-04 12:09 PM

Anyone know if the new 2-disc Strangers on a Train will contain both cuts of the film like the current release does??

EDIT: Nevermind: Guess I should have read the previous post a litter better!! Sorry...

Johnny Zhivago 06-07-04 12:33 PM

> <i>"Mr. and Mrs. Smith--no relation to the upcoming Brad Pitt feature--is the sole comedy Hitchcock ever directed."</I>

I dunno... The Trouble With Harry is a dark comedy... Granted, it's not slapstick, but still...

Anyhoo. Sold, sold and sold. :drool:

Simpson Purist 06-07-04 02:59 PM

Nice to hear that Strangers on a Train will be getting the patented WB 2-discer. Looks like my patience was rewarded once again.