DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Spooks/MI-5 season 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/352603-spooks-mi-5-season-2-a.html)

nemein 03-13-04 11:27 AM

Spooks/MI-5 season 2

I just received a notice from Amazon.uk that season 2 is now up for pre-order (unfortunately someone forgot to tell them that since they don't have a date/price for it yet :(). Anyway I was curious if anyone had heard if there is going to be a R1 release. I'm kind of torn since I have Spooks #1 R2 (bought it before the R1 version was announced) but I prefer R1 version (provided the features remain the same which is sounds like they did for the first set atleast). Anyway, anyone heard anything yet about this?

TIA

speedy1961 03-13-04 07:34 PM

I haven't heard anything. I suspect (and this is just my opinion) that this DVD set is NOT finding an audience due to high pricepoint. The lowest I seen this for in a B&M store is $32.99 at BJ's. It's apparently six episodes which is why I've held off on buying this.

But then again... what do I know? I bought OZ Season 3 used for $32.95

diditagain 03-13-04 08:14 PM

The U.S. Season 1 set just came out on January 13, so I wouldn't expect Season 2 for a while. I've noticed the BBC seems to be pretty good about continuing releases of shows on DVD, so I would expect a Season 2 release, possibly in Jan. 2005 based on US/UK release dates:

Season 1: UK - June 2003, US - Jan. 2004
Season 2: UK - June 2004, US - Jan. 2005(?)

Wannabe 03-13-04 08:17 PM

I love the series, but the price blows in the US. That could hinder the release of the second season. By the way, the UK DVDs are allegedly region 0 and you can pick them up at Amazon UK for $24 - which includes shipping to the America.

nemein 03-13-04 08:45 PM

IIRC when I put it into my DVD drive the app came up as sensing R2. I loaned them out though so I can't check them right off hand. Seems like I'll just pick up the R2 (which is ok cause I think I'm going to try the Ultimate Force series as well and it seems like there is no R1 for that). I'll bump this again when they actually have it available for pre-order. Since they sent out the email I can only assume it'll be soon.

nemein 03-15-04 10:43 AM

:( They just sent an email saying the previous email was sent in error. This means there's still no release date for season 2 yet :(

Josh Z 03-15-04 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Wannabe
By the way, the UK DVDs are allegedly region 0
Even if so, they're still PAL. You'll need a DVD player that can convert PAL to NTSC to view them.

Blake 03-16-04 04:01 PM

January 2005???? I can't wait until then for Series 2. Come on now, Series 3 has already aired (I think)...so why can't they get Series 2 out on DVD here in the US sooner?

nemein 07-06-04 10:42 PM

Looks like it might finally have an actual release date :D 30 Aug 04 £29.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002DXN6I

This also reminds me I still have to get season 1 back from the person I loaned it too :o

MrX 07-06-04 10:52 PM

:up:

The season finale was incredible

Dai 09-21-04 01:53 PM

Well, Season 2 was just released in the UK yesterday (Sept 20th).

Since there's been no posts about this, I guess there's no date for a R1 release?

mrwilson 09-21-04 02:26 PM

R1 is supposed to be out early first quarter so probably late Jan. Same for Coupling S4.

pilot 09-21-04 02:56 PM

I also purchased the S1 set from the UK, prolly will grab S2 from the UK as well..

buckee1 09-21-04 03:24 PM

Mine is on its way now and should be here by Thurs. or Fri.

Rex Fenestrarum 09-21-04 04:11 PM

Mine too! "Series 3" begins airing in the UK very soon - if it hasn't started already.

Also, note that there are TWO versions of the "Spooks Series 2" DVDs on Amazon.uk - one that has just the DVDs and one that comes with a book. Back when I ordered my set - a couple of weeks ago - they were the same price, so why not get the book? :)

Dai 09-21-04 04:13 PM

Whats the book about?

Rex Fenestrarum 09-21-04 04:55 PM

The book is "Spooks Confidential: The Official Guide" which Amazon sells separately for £9.99. You can see the description page for the book here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...665777-5686213

The Spooks S2 DVD set WITH the book is here:

The Spooks S2 DVD set WITHOUT the book is here:

Both sets are priced the same (£29.99) although US folks can expect to get 17% off that price due to no VAT being charged for overseas purchases. Ironically, the set with the book "ships in 24 hours" the ones without ship "within 1 to 2 weeks".

Rex Fenestrarum 09-21-04 04:57 PM

PS - forgot to add that the book is 256 pages, so it looks as if this is a pretty good deal! :)

nemein 09-21-04 05:05 PM

The only reservation I have is season 1 is already about 60% off... I'm tempted to just wait and see if that happens to s2 ;)

BTW anyone know about Ultimate Force? I figure as long as I'm making an order anyway I may as well tack on a couple of other things...

dmras 09-21-04 05:52 PM

I watched Spooks series 2DVD Australian edition.Compared to series 1 it is much weaker.The stories are rather improbable , hard to belive. Some turns are just soap opera's quality.The last episode is so confusing.Let's hope series 3 will approach level of series 1.Video and audio is OK ,but the content unfortunately leaves much to be desired.

Dai 09-21-04 06:08 PM

Well, my gf and I are just waiting to find out what happened with S1 cliffhanger!!!

LOL, i've avoided watching any of the shows on TV so that I can watch the whole series at once.

I might just have to buy the R2 set.

Rex Fenestrarum 09-22-04 03:49 PM

Originally posted by dmras
Some turns are just soap opera's quality.The last episode is so confusing.
Well, that's one thing that I LIKE about Spooks. A show like 24 is cool but in a cartoonish sort of way; because the BBC's budget for Spooks is (I'm assuming) far smaller than 24's, they can't rely on OMG! explosions and stuff, so characters get developed more. I *care* far more about the characters in Spooks than those on 24. Sure, some of the stories are improbable, but it's only an hour-long show.

If anyone wants some spoliers, there is (was?) a video with sneak peeks of season 3 at A&E's MI-5 site.

Also, I found out today that season 3 of Spooks begins airing in the UK this October.

Rex Fenestrarum 09-23-04 04:05 PM

Hey everybody! I just wanted to let you know that I got my series 2 set from Amazon UK this afternoon... Once again, crazy fast shipping from these folks!

I haven't watched any of the discs yet, but the book is pretty cool... it's a mix of typical fun "fantasy" stuff (profiles of villians are kept in "security files") and an episode guide, along with some non-fiction stuff (like an article from one of the producers about the muslim backlash to the "anti-Muslim" episode). Cool!

buckee1 09-23-04 06:05 PM

Got mine today as well. Along with- Lost in SPace S2, Shawshank Redemption 3 Disc SE, The Vice S1, Wire in the BLood II, Gunpowder, Treason & Plot and Shaun of the dead. Now I just have to make the time to sit down and watch all of this! Gotta luv Amazon.UK!

Rex Fenestrarum 09-23-04 09:23 PM

One bit of bad news - the season 2 discs have that same horrible menu system that the first one did. I can't seem to get episode 1 to play (it's on disc 1, right). When I got to select a CD, PowerDVD can't go north of episode three. Maybe it's just a screw-up with the discs?

Note: I don't know if the "MI-5" discs had the same menu as the "Spooks" discs, so please ignore if you have the US version.