Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Battle Royale Region 1 coming soon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-04, 09:10 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battle Royale Region 1 coming soon?

cduniverse.com has a preorder available (March 9) for Battle Royale, but there are not details available. I'm wondering if this is the region 1 or any regiod set I've heard is coming. I know the Europe and Asia version of the disc don't ahve any subtitles fr the extras on the discs. Anyone have any idea what disc this is that is releasing on Tuesday??

linky: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...46&style=movie

Last edited by oneness; 03-07-04 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-07-04, 10:34 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
there is no way it is an R1 and no body has heard of it. I don't even think it is an import version, but who knows. No info, means scary prospect. I'll stick with Starmax 2-disc anyway.
Old 03-07-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The listing says that the studio is "Universe" - and that is the label for the single-disc R3 release readily available for less than 1/2 of the quoted price from DDDHouse and other HK-based etailers.
Old 03-07-04, 12:21 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toho refuses to liscense it for a release in the USA. And rightfully so, can you imagine the outrage from the "family" groups.
Old 03-07-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by duz
Toho refuses to liscense it for a release in the USA. And rightfully so, can you imagine the outrage from the "family" groups.
I doubt they'd give it a second thought... let's be serious.
Old 03-07-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never seen this film, so I want to know what all the fuss is about. I hope this region 1 release is true so price-gouging sites like hkflix.com will get hammered with lost sales.
Old 03-07-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Battle Royale Region 1 coming soon?

Originally posted by oneness
I know the Europe and Asia version of the disc don't ahve any subtitles fr the extras on the discs.
The UK 2 disc directors cut has the extras subbed.
Old 03-07-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cupon
I've never seen this film, so I want to know what all the fuss is about. I hope this region 1 release is true so price-gouging sites like hkflix.com will get hammered with lost sales.
there are two auctions for the tartan uk ntsc 5.1 version.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...0&BasicSearch=
its region 0, and plays in all north american players. its also got the best subtitles and picture for region 0. (oh and stay off the one thats about to end. thats mine!
Old 03-07-04, 07:35 PM

Why buy from Hkflix? There are a ton of other retailers that sell for less. If you count the shipping, it might be more, but if you buy enough, it comes out to less. Besides, hkflix has that lowest price guarantee thing, so if you want to buy online, your best bet is to get it elsewhere.
Old 03-07-04, 09:55 PM
Cool New Member

So which is the DEFINITIVE version (for now) for us yankees? Is it the Tartan UK 2 disc set? Best or one of the best picture quality/sound? All the extras (with subtitles)? And of course.. is it decently priced?
Old 03-07-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The UK Tartan 2-Disc set does have all the extras subbed... However, the print isn't that good. It has a nasty NTSC to Pal transfer that has ghosting, etc... Your best bet is the Korean Starmax DVD that's actually region free and NTSC. The only drawback of this set is that the subtitles are BOLD throughout the film... I'm sticking with my OOP Korean Cream DVD (with Hologram Slip Case), it's probably the best all around release w/eng subs (although it does lack DTS).
Old 03-07-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.as..._INFO=Universe

It could just be the old R3 release because if you look at their listing for Universe discs; they also carry the R3 version of BR2.
BTW the prices are a rip off. Your better off importing them yourself.
Old 03-08-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally posted by duz
Actually, its a Toei release. As far as I'm concerned, the "definitive" edition for North American audiences is currently the Starmax 2 disc set from Korea. Great video quality and excellent DTS audio. The subs aren't perfect but are far from bad (but then again, I've had alot of experience watching very badly subbed HK films over the years, so maybe my tolerance is higher ). The extras aren't subtitled but if its the film itself you are interested in, this is a great set. And its R0 and NTSC.
Old 03-08-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I'll second the Starmax recommendation!
Old 03-08-04, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Heliosphann
The UK Tartan 2-Disc set does have all the extras subbed... However, the print isn't that good. It has a nasty NTSC to Pal transfer that has ghosting, etc...
Battle Royale has been released several times in the UK, and at least one of the releases is NTSC, presumably with a better print. More detail can be found here:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...e.php?fid=1550
Old 03-08-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really don’t see the big deal about “controversy” regarding Battle Royale. Yes it’s violent, but it’s not really much worse than a lot of things already out there.

And in terms of film quality, it’s on the ok side, but nothing great (though a HELL of a lot better than Salo).
Old 03-08-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
I really don’t see the big deal about “controversy” regarding Battle Royale. Yes it’s violent, but it’s not really much worse than a lot of things already out there.

And in terms of film quality, it’s on the ok side, but nothing great (though a HELL of a lot better than Salo).
I *really* have no intention of getting into a religious debate or the content of the movie, but for simply the purposes of comparison, I have seen this and the Passion and I can say that The Passion is FAR FAR FAR more violent and gruesome than this movie. The only difference in my mind is that BR deals with children, whereas the Passion with adults. Just to make it clear: I am NOT saying anything about the topic/content of The Passion more than how violent of a film it is and comparing that level of violence to BR. If a movie as violent as the passion could get mainstream release, I can't see why BR would not.

Now that all the bases are covered
Old 03-08-04, 09:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by duz
It has nothing to do with "family" groups and "outrage." It has to do with $$$. They want a wide theatrical release here before they release on DVD...but they haven't been able to find a distributor who will give them what they want.
Old 03-08-04, 10:52 AM
colossus

Originally posted by duz
Outrage? I've the R0 Tartan NTSC/Anamorphic version and I can state with confidence that Janet Jackson's saggy booby is nowhere in the film.
Old 03-08-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Hmmmmmm,
It's been awhile since I've seen this. Going to have to watch my R3 this weekend.
Old 03-08-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
BR II is a heck of a lot more "controversial" than BR I is. Good terrorists, bad USA ain't gonna sit too well with a lot of people me thinks.
Old 03-11-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no definitive DVD release of BR. The Starmax is a nice release, but it's the extended edition. The extended edition is padded out with scenes that were filmed after the movie had already been in theatres. The added scenes on the Starmax edition have really poor subtitles - in fact, the last scene is completely incomprehensible. Everything you could ever want to know on this topic is available at: http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/video/index.html

I thought the Universe DVD of the theatrical edition was out of print, but it looks like HKFlix has it available...
Old 03-11-04, 12:31 PM
Cool New Member

guess i'll just be satisfied with my divx rip of it for now then...
Old 03-11-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the UK R2 tin is the best one from a subtitles point of view (and it has the extended cut).
Old 03-12-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I've owned 5 different versions of this film and the Korean Starmax SE is the best.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.