DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Re-Release for Fritz Lang's M CC (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/350811-re-release-fritz-langs-m-cc.html)

Skull 03-03-04 05:39 PM

Re-Release for Fritz Lang's M CC

From the criterion web page,

The original Criterion edition of Fritz Lang's groundbreaking suspense masterwork M will be taken out of print on March 31 to make room for an all new DVD edition of the film, slated for release late in 2004. The upcoming re-release of M will feature a pristine transfer from newly restored film elements, as well as a host of new special features. Keep an eye on this space for more details in the coming months.

Can't wait for this one.

Tafellappen 03-03-04 05:49 PM

Great news! I'll be buying this one again!

Scorpio 03-03-04 05:52 PM

I guess I'll have to take the double-dip for this gem.

Pants 03-03-04 05:53 PM

Cool, I might pick this up if it's a major improvement and/or has supplements (unlike the first release)

gutwrencher 03-03-04 05:58 PM

an upgrade may be in order. thanks for the heads-up!!! good timing for this thread....just picked up the BFI Film Classics book, M, from Anton Kaes. will be readin' it tonight.

Laser Movies 03-03-04 05:58 PM

Is Criterion going to offer a rebate like they are for the new Charade DVD?

FilmFanSea 03-03-04 05:59 PM

Criterion's re-release will likely be very similar in transfer and extras to the R2 (UK) double-disc set released by Eureka last October:

Comparison from DVD Beaver (see Eureka screen captures and list of extras)

If so, an upgrade will be a no-brainer, as the Eureka set is outstanding.

I doubt there'll be a discount or rebate since there will be so much added value with the new release (which there is not with the re-release of Charade).

Scorpio 03-03-04 06:01 PM

Just how does their rebating system work, anyway? Must you buy it through them, or do you submit a receipt?

FilmFanSea 03-03-04 06:05 PM

The $15 discount for current owners of Charade is a new policy by Criterion, and the details haven't been posted yet. From their website:

The new anamorphic re-release of Stanley Donen's Charade will be available on April 6. Collectors who already own the original Criterion release of Charade may wish to hold onto it, as the re-release features minor changes to the menus, packaging, and disc label, in addition to the new film transfer. For those owners of the original Charade interested in purchasing the new edition, Criterion will be offering a $15 discount off the suggested retail price. Watch this space and our homepage news for more details.

ivelostr2 03-03-04 06:25 PM

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
The $15 discount for current owners of Charade is a new policy by Criterion, and the details haven't been posted yet. From their website:
I wonder how they will do this rebate. I was going to sell my copy of M, but now I may keep it. Also, I bought Chrade at a flea market without a case, wonder If i will be able to get the discount...

QuiGonJosh 03-03-04 06:27 PM

looks like the OOP will be a big seller! :D

I might get the new one...depends on how good it is...and if they throw any extras on it...

Johnny Zhivago 03-03-04 06:41 PM

*whew*

I was this _ close to buying this title... Now I can sit tight and wait for the new release. Good timing! Thanks for posting this, Skull...

Mutley Hyde 03-03-04 09:48 PM

Very nice. Will double-dip here, regardless of rebate. It's good to see Criterion going back and revisiting some of their lackluster packages. :up:

marty888 03-03-04 09:49 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh

I might get the new one...depends on how good it is...and if they throw any extras on it...

Try the top of this page again....-wink-

<b>pristine transfer from newly restored film elements, as well as a host of new special features</b>

I've been on the verge of getting the R2 set which has receieved rave reviews .. I'll wait a bit to see exactly what Criterion has, and if they raise the MSRP to $39.95 or note.

darkside 03-03-04 10:05 PM

I'm probably going to double dip on Charade and M. It would be nice to get some money back.

caiman 03-03-04 10:24 PM

Here's a question from a novice CC collector. When Criterion re-releases a title, do they use the same spine number as the first release? Or do they add it to the end of the line up?

TomOpus 03-03-04 10:25 PM

From my experience, they keep the original spine number.

ivelostr2 03-03-04 11:07 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
From my experience, they keep the original spine number.
yep, even if packaged differenty, they would keep the same #, I mean 400 blows did...

Tracer Bullet 03-04-04 12:49 AM

How much better could "newly restored film elements" be, unless they're referring to recently discovered film elements? M is a 70 year old film, after all.

Skull 03-04-04 01:08 AM

Originally posted by TracerBullet
How much better could "newly restored film elements" be, unless they're referring to recently discovered film elements? M is a 70 year old film, after all.
Just check out the difference between Criterion and Eureka:

Criterion
http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/m/cri-last.JPG

Eureka
http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/m/eur-last.jpg

Poink 03-04-04 02:16 AM

Does this mean the white line at the top of the screen druing the last 20 minutes will be gone? I know this probably sounds like a lame "newbie" OAR/Widescreen HDTV type question, but there really IS a white line at the top of the print on the Criterion version. :)

Mark_vdH 03-04-04 02:35 AM

The white line is gone on the restored British DVD. Also, the restored version is in the original aspect ratio.

Tracer Bullet 03-04-04 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Skull
Just check out the difference between Criterion and Eureka:
Wow. Okay, I stand corrected. :)

RichardW 03-04-04 12:01 PM

Excellent news! I just sold mine a few weeks back because I was planning on getting the R2 version. I guess I'll just wait and pick up the new Criterion release.

acostigan 03-04-04 01:32 PM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
Is Criterion going to offer a rebate like they are for the new Charade DVD?
I didn't know about this; I may upgrade after all.

-AC