Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Filmation library sold! He-Man coming to DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-01-04, 05:49 PM
Suspended

I found this on one of the He-Man pages that I sometimes check out. The news is still very just a rumor at this time, and of course you know how much weight an internet rumor carries - but if IS true, that means that we very well might see He-Man, Mighty Isis, Shazam, Arc II, Jason of Star Command and other Filmation properties finally on disc.

Newsflash! Hallmark sells the Filmation library!

Someone who frequents the Sid and Marty Krofft mail list has come forward with what appears to be potentially good news for Filmation fans!

According to the kidvid fan, who says the archive reportedly sold for about $20 million, has a temp job working in Hallmark's Hollywood vault, where he and five others are boxing up thousands of broadcast-format video tapes, soundtracks and film reels of Hallmark's entire Filmation library!

To quote from his postings: "They have thousands of master tapes in every possible language, lots of soundtracks, original reel-to-reel prints, etc. In a way it's been interesting but we have to manually pack every tape and move the boxes to another floor for shipping, and there's only six of us. Perhaps this signals that some of these titles will be released on DVD in the next two years.

"I am so tired of seeing thousands of He-Man master video tapes! They are in cumbersome, heavy cases. We also have reels and reels of The Archies that have to be shipped as well. The materials are taking up entire hallways, rooms, and shelves. I feel sorry for whoever has to unpack and inventory the library after it is shipped. All the Isis and Ark II tapes were already on digital tapes, so those packed very quickly!"

Thanks to fellow fan David Whittaker for passing this information along to me (no, he's not the "intern" himself).

I must emphasize that this information has not been officially reported in the press, so I cannot vouch for its accuracy, but if true, this could be good news for Filmation fans, considering how poorly the library has been treated by Hallmark Entertainment.

A sale makes sense: if, as has been reported, that Hallmark had no intention of syndicating or releasing the bulk of the Filmation stuff on home video, then they really had no good reason to hold onto what they saw as "dead weight". The fact that someone wanted to buy the material seems to indicate that there is at least an interest in releasing at least some of the content.

It is also possible that Hallmark sold the library due to their recently loss in the suit filed by the Writer's Guild, who successfully proved that Hallmark hasn't been paying writers' royalties for Filmation productions for over 10 years. They not only lost the case but had to pay stiff penalties, for providing false claims that the Filmation shows haven't been syndicated in the last 10 years, which we all know to be untrue!

We can only hope that the new owner is a bit friendlier to the idea of releasing the live-action shows than Hallmark was!
Old 03-01-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. He-Man was the shit.
Old 03-01-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hell yeah, He-man was THE cartoon of the 80's!!
Old 03-01-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey Hey Hey, it's Faaaat Albert !

With the Live-Action film coming out in the next year, the Cosby Kids cartoons would sell.
Old 03-01-04, 07:19 PM

He-Man is already on DVD, at least on region 2.
Old 03-01-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You can get Fat Albert from Time Life.
Old 03-01-04, 08:05 PM

Hey what about Ghostbusters? Not the one based on the movie but that weird one with PRIME EVIL?
Old 03-01-04, 08:09 PM

Let's go Ghostbusters!
Old 03-01-04, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I'd totally pick up the entire He-Man series.
Old 03-01-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What, no love for Ark II and Isis?

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 03-01-04 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-01-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
What, no love for Ark II and Isis?
I'd completely forgotten about Ark II; I liked that show.
Old 03-01-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's got a monkey, what more could you want??
Old 03-01-04, 11:57 PM

"if true, this could be good news for Filmation fans, considering how poorly the library has been treated by Hallmark Entertainment."

Didn't Hallmark release Fat Albert, through Time-Life? I always wondered if they would release the rest of the filmation shows as well. I've been dying to see The Groovie Ghoolies and The original Archies Funhouse, for a long, long time! That original post didn't say who Hallmark sold the library to. Anyone know?

CP
Old 03-02-04, 04:16 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Cocopugg
Didn't Hallmark release Fat Albert, through Time-Life? I always wondered if they would release the rest of the filmation shows as well. I've been dying to see The Groovie Ghoolies and The original Archies Funhouse, for a long, long time!
Yeah, until just today I wasn't holding out hope for any of the Filmation stuff ever getting released. The President of Hallmark pretty much said that the Isis and the other Filmation live action stuff was an embarsement, and if he had his way those shows would never see the light of day ever again.

As for who it was sold to - nothing solid as of yet, but I am keeping my ear to the ground. When I know, you'll know.
Old 03-02-04, 05:45 AM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
The President of Hallmark pretty much said that the Isis and the other Filmation live action stuff was an embarsement, and if he had his way those shows would never see the light of day ever again.
I've actually heard a similar quote about another TV superhero show, from another president of a company. It seems that some of those at the top today seem to think they're a little better than the rest of us. Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I personally prefer all the shows back then to anything done today. That's not to say that today's shows aren't appreciated by many, it's just that shows of the past may be appreciated by just as many. People should treat every show ever done with a little more respect, because there will always be some kind of audience for them. As for the Filmation library, I can't wait until someone releases most of those shows, as I plan on buying mostly all of them, they were classics in their own ways.

CP
Old 03-02-04, 06:27 AM
Banned

Yeah, until just today I wasn't holding out hope for any of the Filmation stuff ever getting released. The President of Hallmark pretty much said that the Isis and the other Filmation live action stuff was an embarsement, and if he had his way those shows would never see the light of day ever again.

As for who it was sold to - nothing solid as of yet, but I am keeping my ear to the ground. When I know, you'll know.
Do you actually have a source for this or were you just in the mood to spread unfounded rumors?
Old 03-02-04, 09:48 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
EPKJ, is there a reason you're trying to start an argument in multiple threads, or are you just in the mood to be hostile?

Thanks for the info, El-Kabong.
Old 03-02-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, I know I'd buy Isis, as well as Shazzam, and even Ark II. There's probably loads of 60s-70s Filmmation live action I'd buy. I used to watch the hell out of that stuff.
Old 03-02-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be all over a set of the 1979-80 Flash Gordon show. Hell, I still have my action figures in a closet somewhere.
Old 03-02-04, 11:50 AM

Re: Filmation library sold! He-Man coming to DVD?

[B]I found this on one of the He-Man pages that I sometimes check out.
If you found it on a He-Man page, then it was taken (without consent) from one of my Filmation websites:

angelfire.com/tv2/isis
angelfire.com/tv2/ark2
angelfire.com/tv2/spaceacademy
angelfire.com/tv2/starcommand

The reason I know is because what you quoted is what I wrote for my sites, word-for-word.

I don't mind someone else passing along the info on their site, but if a He-Man site is using it, I'd appreciate them citing me as the source and, if you can, a URL to the site so I can contact their site administrator.

I do, however, have an update to this net rumour (which I haven't even posted to my sites yet), again, from my good pal David Whittaker:

I sent a private message to the guy who posted about the library being
sold and asked him if he had found out who bought it. He told me that nobody he
works with knows who it was sold to and he said the people he works with have heard that the deal might have fallen through, which means everything will have to be unpacked. He said if he finds out more, he will post it to the Krofft group."

Watch one of my Filmation websites above for any updates.

Last edited by mythmaker18; 03-02-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-02-04, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by EPKJ
Do you actually have a source for this or were you just in the mood to spread unfounded rumors?
Well, my post count was kind of low, so I thought I'd be an ass hole and make up some news to string everyone along. I didnt have anything else to do that day, so what the hell. Did it work?

--sheesh--

Try here or read the Contacted Hallmark thread.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 03-02-04 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-02-04, 12:15 PM

Well, my post count was kind of low, so I thought I'd be an ass hole and make up some news to string everyone along. I didnt have anything else to do that day, so what the hell. Did it work?

--sheesh--

Try here or read the Contacted Hallmark thread.
I actually found where the remark came from at this site:

http://voy.com/70166/

Here's what the person wrote:

"Contacted Hallmark Entertainment about releasing Series -- Todd, 17:00:25 03/24/03 Mon (adsl-64-109-15-186.dsl.peoril.ameritech.net/64.109.15.186)
Hey...Well after reading your response I thoguht I would call Hallmark Entertainment directly...I was directed to a gentleman who I was told was Vice President. He was a very nice man until I asked him if there were any plans to release "The Secrets Of ISIS" onto either VHS or DVD.
His response to me was actually somewhat of a shock..he stated "There are NO plans ever to release this and he would rather see the company near bankruptcy than allow this to disgrace public television again" He thanked me for my interest and hung up. I have to say he was a VERY RUDE gentleman and is this how Hallmark treats fans ?????
I will say after watching the "Where Are The Now" episode during the End credits Hallmark Entertainment was listed as providing footage..Im actually surprised they did that...Although I will say it was VERY NICE to see some of that show again in CRYSTAL CLEAR quality.
Well Im done ranting I guess...Hope Others feel the same way I do...I guess we'll be stuck with multi generation dubs forever...oh well better than nothing I guess....Thanks again....T"

Is this how fans of these shows are supposed to be treated?
Old 03-02-04, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Re: Re: Filmation library sold! He-Man coming to DVD?

Originally posted by mythmaker18
I don't mind someone else passing along the info on their site, but if a He-Man site is using it, I'd appreciate them citing me as the source and, if you can, a URL to the site so I can contact their site administrator.
Woah - my bad. I didnt know it was cut-and-pasted from your site. There's a couple of diffrent threads on the he-man board, but this one is where I first noticed the plagerized material.
Old 03-02-04, 01:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Filmation library sold! He-Man coming to DVD?

Woah - my bad. I didnt know it was cut-and-pasted from your site. There's a couple of diffrent threads on the he-man board, but this one is where I first noticed the plagerized material.
No worries, El. I checked out the thread and the poster mentioned finding it elsewhere (on my Isis site). By the way your original post was worded, I took it to mean that the He-Man site itself took the message and posted it as a news item without any attribution.

Let us all hope that whomever buys the library gives a big portion of the library the exposure it deserves, not just the high-profile shows like He-Man and Fat Albert.
Old 03-02-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If anybody, I would think Rhino would be a major contender for this material.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.