DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Hill Street Blues Release? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/348216-hill-street-blues-release.html)

Jack Straw 02-19-04 03:36 PM

Hill Street Blues Release?

If/When will this show be released on DVD? St. Elsewhere also for that matter?

Dragonslayer 02-20-04 01:48 PM

I've been inquiring about these two for some time! In a thread at HTF (That I can't find any longer)I was told that they aren't under consideration at this time. But this info is not to be taken as gospel at this point in time. These are the last two TV programs that I watched every week except for the Star Trek series. I'll buy every DVD should these ever see the light of the laser beam.

Jack Straw 02-20-04 04:45 PM

It sucks that these shows aren't considered worthy, especially when you see what crappy TV shows are coming out on DVD.

Dragonslayer 02-20-04 05:12 PM

I could not agree more. I simply can't understand what criteria that Studios use to decide whether a film or TV show has the required financial drawing power to warrant a release.

Jack Straw 02-13-05 05:48 PM

This thread needs to be resurrected. Come On! It's Time.

Dragonslayer 02-13-05 06:01 PM

From what I've been told in the HTF there is no chance this will get a release. I'm angry beyond words, but what can I do. ABSOLTELY ZILCH!!!!!

wm lopez 02-14-05 04:37 AM

HILL STREET BLUES was winning Emmys galore back in the 80's, more so than HUNTER or MIAMI VICE. But I think that show wasn't all that great in the ratings and it's not run on reruns, so why would anyone buy it?

John Sinnott 02-14-05 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
HILL STREET BLUES was winning Emmys galore back in the 80's, more so than HUNTER or MIAMI VICE. But I think that show wasn't all that great in the ratings and it's not run on reruns, so why would anyone buy it?

Maybe because it was one of the best shows to ever air on TV.

cdoug57 02-14-05 08:19 AM

I'll second that it was one of the best shows (police or otherwise) ever to be shown.

I believe it received more emmy's than any dramatic show ever.

Frank Furillo, Henry Goldblume, Phil Esterhaus, Andy Renko, J.D. Larue, Lucy Bates, etc. Just great characters and a superb cast. This needs to be released.

David Lambert 02-14-05 09:18 AM

As I mentioned in the HTF, a recent article in Video Business specifically said:

Other shows, such as St. Elsewhere, haven't made it to DVD because it isn't clear in older contracts who owns the DVD rights, particularly shows that were jointly produced by companies that might have since been sold, panelists said.
The "panelists" were at the TV Critics Association winter press event, and TV-on-DVD was a hot topic there. Hill Street Blues is assumed to have the same rights issues as St. Elsewhere.