60's Batman T.V. Show

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

60's Batman T.V. Show

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that turns into something good. None of that "best of" crap, I want the whole series!
Old 07-29-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by cinemaman
it's on it's way??

From thedigitalbits

Here's one quick little DVD news tidbit worth noting: We've heard from reliable sources that Adam West is now working on special features for the 1960s TV version of Batman. So it looks as if Fox and Warner may have finally made peace over the series' long-awaited DVD release. Fingers crossed.
False Alarm. West is working on his own "Batman Diaries" dvd. It's the complete series without any of the episodes.
Old 07-29-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've long since given up hope of BATMAN '66 ever being released on DVD.
Old 07-29-08, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
False Alarm. West is working on his own "Batman Diaries" dvd. It's the complete series without any of the episodes.
For those of you interested in the details, here's the link to the story I wrote, based on Gord's hard work and research:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...-Diaries/10197
Old 07-29-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Alright, enough of this nonsense. I say we hire Jimmy Carter to sit down with a representative from Fox and Warner Bros. and get this done!
Old 07-29-08, 07:43 PM

Yeah, but from what I hear, it's not just those two. Those guys, respectively, have rights to the episodes, and to the characters (and it's NOT Warner Bros. and never has been; it specifically is DC Comics). But what about rights to the music? The talent (including guest appearances...like when Green Hornet and Cato shows up, or when some well-known - at the time, anyway - celebrity sticks their head out a window during a bat-rope climb)? What about the design of unique props, like the Batmobile?

The pie needs to be divided up by more than 2 parties, which is the REAL negotiation hold-up.
Old 07-29-08, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by David Lambert
Yeah, but from what I hear, it's not just those two. Those guys, respectively, have rights to the episodes, and to the characters (and it's NOT Warner Bros. and never has been; it specifically is DC Comics). But what about rights to the music? The talent (including guest appearances...like when Green Hornet and Cato shows up, or when some well-known - at the time, anyway - celebrity sticks their head out a window during a bat-rope climb)? What about the design of unique props, like the Batmobile?

The pie needs to be divided up by more than 2 parties, which is the REAL negotiation hold-up.
Ally McBeal has music issues in R1 but still gets released elsewhere so I don't understand how some shows do get the green light while others are tied up in red tape.
Old 07-29-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Ally McBeal has music issues in R1 but still gets released elsewhere so I don't understand how some shows do get the green light while others are tied up in red tape.
I have also wondered that regarding other shows with music rights issues. WKRP has problems with music rights in the US? F' the US release, put it out in the UK with ALL the original music! People who would really want it would get a region free player. Same with Wonder Years.
Old 07-29-08, 10:24 PM

The pie should be divided in proportion to the amount of artistic creativity contributed. This can be achieved by using guidelines in negoitiations from other shows.

Having backstage revelations by Adam West for each episode would nicely compliment the dvd of the entire series. Having Adam West be an ambassador and promoter of a DVD release, theres no doubt in my mind that it would sell like hotcakes.
Old 07-29-08, 10:43 PM
Cool New Member

The talent (including guest appearances...like when Green Hornet and Cato shows up, or when some well-known - at the time, anyway - celebrity sticks their head out a window during a bat-rope climb)? What about the design of unique props, like the Batmobile?

I can understand potential licensing issues with the Green Hornet characters, and possibly the George Barris Batmobile design, but why would a celebrity cameo factor in? Do walk-on actors, no matter how famous, typically retain any say about how a series is distributed?
Old 07-29-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Editor, The JEI
Do walk-on actors, no matter how famous, typically retain any say about how a series is distributed?
They may not have a hand in negotiations, but perhaps their royalty fees make the combined cost of everything prohibitive to release the show.
Old 07-30-08, 10:36 PM

Laws regarding music rights for this sort of thing are DRASTICALLY different in the U.K. vs the USA. I'm not a lawyer (or barrister), so I can't fill you in on the details.

But I love my copies of Ally McBeal. And the Bionic shows.
Old 09-22-08, 11:55 PM

There's an interesting item in Rich Johnston's Lying in the Gutters column about Fox and Warner possibly, maybe, only a rumor, reaching a deal to release the 60's Batman show: http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18162

The key would apparently be Fox's rights to the Watchmen film.
Old 09-23-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ComicBookResources.com
WHO WATCHES THE BATMAN DVDS?

So, how are the "Watchmen" movie legal shenanigans going to shake themselves out? Let Lying In The Gutters give you the exclusive.

Currently the situation has Fox filing suit against Warners and other connected companies over the rights to produce and distribute the upcoming "Watchmen" movie, based on contracts signed a considerable while ago. And it appears that they have a very good case indeed.

But do Fox really want to make a “Watchmen” film of their own? Do they want the money from the Warners “Watchmen” film? Do they want a cut? A payoff? Or just holding up a rival?

None of the above. Sources tell me that Fox want the 1960s Batman TV series. Currently Fox own the TV footage, but Warner Bros own the characters and trademarks, via their ownership of DC Comics. The rights to a DVD release have been held up for a long time now, and this case looks like it may be the instrument to release them.

Oh, Fox will get a wodge of cash as well - many millions of dollars it seems. But it seems they also want the rights to release the Adam West-starring Batman on DVD, something long denied fans of the series. And Warners will get the “Watchmen” film, to release as planned.

There were comic fans who threatened Fox boycotts over what they saw as their scuppering of the Watchmen movie. Looks like they may soon have cause to thank Fox for this action.
Seems like a lot of trouble just to release a TV show on DVD, although I wouldn't put it past Fox.
Old 09-23-08, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
God I really hope this comes to fruition.
Old 09-23-08, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Seems like a lot of trouble just to release a TV show on DVD, although I wouldn't put it past Fox.
Well, and there's more trouble to it than just the DC Comics rights to the show. Here's my most thorough write-up on the subject yet:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...Reported/10573
Old 09-23-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Well, and there's more trouble to it than just the DC Comics rights to the show. Here's my most thorough write-up on the subject yet:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bat...Reported/10573
What happened to all the music rights to Ally McBeal too allow it to be released elsewhere except for R 1 ? Would other regions be permitted to release Batman(60s tv) without all the red tape ? How does something differ from being released in Canada rather than the US ?
Old 09-23-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Editor, The JEI
I can understand potential licensing issues with the Green Hornet characters, and possibly the George Barris Batmobile design, but why would a celebrity cameo factor in? Do walk-on actors, no matter how famous, typically retain any say about how a series is distributed?
Ultimately, it depends on what the contracts say. Sammy Davis Jr.'s contract may have paid him for television distribution, but made no reference to any "alternate media". His estate would understandably want at least a small piece of the many million$ that Fox (or whoever) is going to be getting for this.

Add to that the complication that some of these cameos are *in character* from other shows (Hogan's Heroes, etc.).

I'm sure the negotiations for this must be an absolute bloody mess.
Old 09-23-08, 03:30 PM

What happened to all the music rights to Ally McBeal too allow it to be released elsewhere except for R 1 ? Would other regions be permitted to release Batman(60s tv) without all the red tape ? How does something differ from being released in Canada rather than the US ?
I'm really not up on international laws and how they manage to allow some releases to happen in some places and not others.

But let's say the music of Batman isn't a problem in the UK. Well, that doesn't mean that everything else goes away too, right?

All I know is that I REALLY enjoy my R2 Ally McBeal discs. And the 8th Doctor movie. And my son loves his Power Ranger season sets and Transformers: Robots In Disguise. Etc., etc.
Old 09-23-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Did the VHS releases of Ally have any music changes?
Old 09-23-08, 05:24 PM
Banned

So maybe we need to pass laws that once your paid for your work that's it.
No more getting paid for a job that you have been already been paid for years ago. The owner who produces the product takes all the risk so let that person benifit the rewards after the years pass.
Old 09-23-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by WOODPRODUCTIONS

Having backstage revelations by Adam West for each episode would nicely compliment the dvd of the entire series. Having Adam West be an ambassador and promoter of a DVD release, theres no doubt in my mind that it would sell like hotcakes.
You're damn right it would sell. I'd buy every season on release day.
I loved this show when I was growing up in the late 60's.
Old 09-23-08, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by JOE29
You're damn right it would sell. I'd buy every season on release day.
I loved this show when I was growing up in the late 60's.
I hear you. Its on the very top of my wish list. Given the state of the economy, the wars, etc. etc. what better escape than to turn back the clock and enjoy 60's pop culture with a couple episodes of batman!
Old 09-23-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
So maybe we need to pass laws that once your paid for your work that's it.
No more getting paid for a job that you have been already been paid for years ago. The owner who produces the product takes all the risk so let that person benifit the rewards after the years pass.
As much as I hate these rights disputes and as much as I'd love to own Batman on DVD, that sounds supremely unfair to me.

Fox gets to make hundreds of millions of dollars but the folks who actually did the work for small change back in the 60s (and only contractually agreed to television airings) get nothing?
Old 09-24-08, 02:28 AM

Fans of Batman should check out The Man Who Laughs on You Tube in which Conrad Veidt played a character Gwynplaine who's face has been permanently deformed into a grin. Bob Kane who originally designed The Joker character has copied this character uncannily , and you can see the Joker as soon as you seen him unmasked!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.