Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Blue Underground Thread Part II

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One and Only Blue Underground Thread Part II

Old 06-05-04, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is UNCLE SAM worth a blind buy? I've read reviews both good and bad (with the bad being REALLY bad.) $11.98 at DDD if someone could just convince me...

Last edited by FILMCZY; 06-05-04 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-05-04, 07:10 AM
Banned

I really don't know. I do know that Blue Underground puts out the highest quality releases and has a good track record of releasing interesting, though not always good, films. If you are a fan of genre films, then give it a shot.
Old 06-05-04, 07:25 AM

Hello.

I am a newbie here on the DVD Talk message boards, but I have taken the time to read both Blue Underground threads before I asked this question of the group. Are any Blue Underground DVDs discontinued?

The reason I asked is that I saw mention of Baba Yaga and Daughter of Darkness being possibly discountinued, then I ordered Girl From Rio and Sadomania from Deep Discount DVD, and, while they appear to have shipped, in the online order status each of those titles read 'Discountinued'. Finally, I tried to find the Spaghetti Western box set online today, and no e-tailers I frequent had it. DVD Planet, for example, lists it as discountinued.

Anyway, I realize that last one was limited, but it would help my future purchases to know what is going or has gone OOP with respect to Blue Underground titles.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-04, 07:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Paul Arnette
Hello.

I am a newbie here on the DVD Talk message boards, but I have taken the time to read both Blue Underground threads before I asked this question of the group. Are any Blue Underground DVDs discontinued?

The reason I asked is that I saw mention of Baba Yaga and Daughter of Darkness being possibly discountinued, then I ordered Girl From Rio and Sadomania from Deep Discount DVD, and, while they appear to have shipped, in the online order status each of those titles read 'Discountinued'. Finally, I tried to find the Spaghetti Western box set online today, and no e-tailers I frequent had it. DVD Planet, for example, lists it as discountinued.

Anyway, I realize that last one was limited, but it would help my future purchases to know what is going or has gone OOP with respect to Blue Underground titles.

Thanks.
I April of 2003, Blue Underground changed distributor, moving from Image to Ryko. Since then, they have been rereleasing all their discs. The Spaghetti Western Collection has been rereleased as individual titles. These are all available from DVD Empire. Here are the links:

Django 2 Disc Limited Edition

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...182591&redir=1

Django, Kill... If You Live, Shoot!

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...182591&redir=1

Mannaja: A Man Called Blade

http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_ite...182591&redir=1

Run Man Run

http://www.dvdempire.com/exec/v4_ite...182591&redir=1

They would also be available at most online and local retailers. I hope this helps.
Old 06-05-04, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Rockmjd23
im so excited for Conquest, i never would have thought this would get a dvd release
Why not? If Last House On Dead End Street can get released, anything can get released.
Old 06-05-04, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts
Does the change in BU's distributor have anything to do with them starting to release and re-release their titles in clear keepcases?
Old 06-05-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by EPKJ
I really don't know. I do know that Blue Underground puts out the highest quality releases and has a good track record of releasing interesting, though not always good, films. If you are a fan of genre films, then give it a shot.
that is until you actually see UNCLE SAM! LOL (O:
Old 06-09-04, 07:32 PM

Trailers for Conquest, Deathdream, and Uncle Sam up at http://www.blue-underground.com/trailers.php

Conquest looks RIDICULOUS! Can't wait.
Old 06-09-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by malkmuz

Old 06-10-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by malkmuz

How great are those sound effects for the arrow.

Man I can't wait for this.
Old 06-10-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blue Underground is replacing copies of Sadomania:

Several "day-for-night" scenes were inadvertently transferred for day instead of night or dusk. So, we re-graded the video, re-encoded the DVD master and replicated new SADOMANIA Version 2 DVDs. The SADOMANIA DVD you own is not defective. We just decided to upgrade the DVD for the purists among you. Do not return your SADOMANIA DVD to retailers. SADOMANIA Version 2 is only available directly from Blue Underground.

If you are a US or Canadian resident and wish a SADOMANIA Version 2
replacement, please mail your SADOMANIA DVD along with your name and address to:

SADOMANIA UPGRADE
11271 Ventura Boulevard #500
Studio City, CA 91604

How's that for customer service!
Old 06-10-04, 05:36 PM

thanks Exister.....does that mean case and all? damn...I hate being without a title in the library, but it's better than a "bad" disc.

thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-10-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts
Whenever I had to send a defective disc back, it's just been the disc. Makes it a whole lot easier and there's no chance for the case to get damaged. Plus, sometimes, the case is numbered so you'd wanna keep your case
Old 06-10-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the extras on uncle sam, deathdream & the driller killer are pretty great.
The commentaries especially for uncle sam (there are 2!) are noteworthy.
It's great to listen to guys who have been in the business for such a long time like larry cohen & bill lustig reminisce and talk shop.
Old 06-10-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by The Exister

SADOMANIA UPGRADE
there will be a lot of at the post office stations around the country when they see the above.....

Pro-B
Old 06-10-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Welcome news on Smithereens. A good, if rather aimless (perhaps reflecting its protagonist's direction in life) tale, with a truly searing final shot.
Old 06-11-04, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
the extras on uncle sam, deathdream & the driller killer are pretty great.
The commentaries especially for uncle sam (there are 2!) are noteworthy.
It's great to listen to guys who have been in the business for such a long time like larry cohen & bill lustig reminisce and talk shop.
I didnt know that they were releasing DRILLER KILLER. Was going to avoid this release, but since bU is releasing it, will pick it up for sure!
Old 06-11-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
I didnt know that they were releasing DRILLER KILLER. Was going to avoid this release, but since bU is releasing it, will pick it up for sure!
Actually Driller Killer is a Cult Epics release.

They have a review of it over at dvdmaniacs.net (should be on the front page). Sounds like a nice release - limited to 10,000 copies.
Old 06-11-04, 01:06 PM

All 3 - DRILLER KILLER (re-release) DEATHDREAM and UNCLE SAM are worthy DVDs for any diehard horror fan. BU and Cult Epics did a wonderful job with these discs.
Old 06-17-04, 01:02 PM

Whats happeniong with Zombie then? are both version from both companies still comin, and if so its still a crazy siuation indeed. but will buy em both if different enuff.
Old 07-13-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Time to revive this thread...

Just finished listening to the commentary on FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE and I must say Lustig is one of the best moderators in the biz. Not only does he coax terrific stories out of his guests, but his genuine love and appreciation of the flix he's releasing comes across in every one of his tracks!

Man, do I love Blue Underground!
Old 07-14-04, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by CrumpsBrother

Man, do I love Blue Underground!
make it a gangbang!!
Old 07-14-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if anyone will be in new york later this month...

blue underground is having another of their blue mondays the last monday of this month. Fulci's zombie in it's new print will be playing. The pioneer theater as usual.

Last month it was uncle same & deathdream. Hosted by lustig. Richard backus (andy from deathdream) was there, too.

Don't know if any zombies will be at the new screening
Old 07-14-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
make it a gangbang!!
Hey, leave the nuns outta this
Old 07-18-04, 09:39 PM

Just finished watching the latest releases from BU... Fulci's ZOMBIE and THE CONQUEST. The picture quality of ZOMBIE was superior the Anchor Bay release and the audio was a vast improvement also. I'm curious to see what Media Blasters does to one of Fulci's better known films. Although th extras for both ZOMBIE and THE CONQUEST are slim, I still recommend these titles for Fulci fans. Another great job by the always reliable folks at Blue Underground.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.