Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazing Colossal Man-War of the Colossal Beast-The Cyclop?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Will these Bert Gordon classics ever be released in R1.War of the Colossal Beast is available in R2.Does anyone know the OAR for these?
Old 12-04-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be fun to have these on DVD, wouldn't it? As they were A.I.P. flicks, it is possible that MGM now holds the rights, though I can't say for sure. Perhaps we'll see them as "Midnight Movies" somewhere down the road.
Old 12-04-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can never have enough horror or sci-fi flicks from the 1950's on DVD especially the black & white films.
Old 12-04-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could be wrong-but my understanding is that three different parties own these movies so a boxset is probably out of the question.
Old 12-04-03, 04:27 PM

The region 2 War of The Colossal Beast is one of nine fims in the Sam Arkoff Film Library released by Direct Video Distribution UK. The other titles in the series are : Blood of Dracula, The Day The World Ended, How To Make A Monster, The Brain Eaters,The She Creature, Earth Vs. The Spider, The Undead and Voodoo Woman . Some prints look better than others. Each can be purchased for around $20.00.
Old 07-20-05, 10:56 AM

AIP, Sam Arkoff and Thee

For those of you who grew up on genre TV in the 50's, 60's or 70's, American International Pictures and the films of Sam Arkoff were a staple of Saturday morning monster-movie fare.

Unfortunately for US genre hounds, many of those films are not being released here due numerous rights-related issues.

UK fans are fortunate to have had quite a number of the Sam Arkoff titles released in Region 2.

Arkoff Box Set Volume 1:
The Blood of Dracula
The Brain Eaters
How To Make a Monster
The Spider
War of the Colossal Beast

Arkoff Box Set Volume 2
Day the World Ended
Reform School Girl
The She-Creature
The Undead
Voodoo Woman

If you have a region-free DVD player, these films can be acquired here:

http://www.dvdisc.co.uk/

and here:

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/

Take care,

BobB

Last edited by Gojira69; 07-20-05 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-20-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember as a kid when these films were shown on Saturday afternoons and of course the first two were used as excellent MST3K episodes.

The Bert I films were super cheesy, but fun. Still wish they showed 30s-50s horror on TV.
Old 07-20-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The amazing colossal man and its sequel are two must-haves for msy collection. Gotta go get the R2 Colossal Beast right now.
Old 07-20-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just picked up The Spider & The War of the Colossal Beast for $46 even. If you are interested in getting these titles via AmazonUK, you might want to act fast. They are down to two and three respectively in stock. Thanks for the heads upGojira69!
Old 07-20-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
just picked up The Spider & The War of the Colossal Beast for $46 even. If you are interested in getting these titles via AmazonUK, you might want to act fast. They are down to two and three respectively in stock. Thanks for the heads upGojira69!
Why didn't you just pick up the box sets? They are pretty cheap.
Old 07-20-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
The Cyclops is an Allied Artists movie so Warner Bros. has it now. MGM only has the AIP titles from 1960 on(I believe Attack of the Puppet People is Public Domain). The 1950s AIP stuff, that is not public domain, was owned either by Arkoff OR Nicholson. Arkoff's son now owns his and those are the ones available in R2. Nicholson's are now owned by his widow, Susan Hart. She is real hard to get along with and is constantly suing people for using the trailers and other trivial stuff. Nobody wants anything to do with her. DVD releases of those are very unlikely. She owns: Amazing Colossal Man, It Conquered the Word, I Was A Teenage Frankenstein, I Was A Teenage Werewolf and Invasion of the Saucermen, that I know of.
Old 12-10-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first two DVDs in the Samuel Z. Arkoff Collection will be out Jan 10 - The Spider/War of the Colossal Beast and How to Make a Monster/Blood of Dracula. These could be as much fun as Midnite Movies series!

here's the cover art: http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/n...collection.htm
Old 12-10-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awesome news! wish amazing colossal man and war of the colossal beast was the double feature but i'll take them anyway
Old 12-10-05, 10:03 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Attack of the Giant Leeches is sweet
Old 12-11-05, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by buckee1
I just picked up The Spider & The War of the Colossal Beast for $46 even. If you are interested in getting these titles via AmazonUK, you might want to act fast. They are down to two and three respectively in stock. Thanks for the heads upGojira69!
There's no hurry - they're not out of print.

Incidentally, the boxsets make the price per film considerably lower.

I seem to recall a posting on the Bad Movies newsgroup that the r2 DVD's are not presented in their OAR though.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Films of this vintage are often full-frame anyway.

As has been mentioned before the rights are owned all over the place so it's unlikely that we will ever see a complete set from any one studio. I know that The Amazing Colossal Man is not owned by the same folks who have the rights to it's sequel. Most annoying!

Last edited by Nebiroth; 12-11-05 at 04:12 AM.