DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Is everyone really going to rebuy all their movies in HD-DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/332824-everyone-really-going-rebuy-all-their-movies-hd-dvd.html)

bigE 11-30-03 11:59 PM

No I won't rebuy... Unless it's a Das Boot SuperBiteme Edition.:rolleyes: I'm already upconverting my dvds @ 1080i & that's good enough for me. Also, I'm not a big fixed pixel fan. YMMV

bga 12-01-03 12:11 AM

I don't have a HDTV yet, but even if I did, I have a couple hundred DVDs I bought for $6-7 that I would never even consider replacing with a higher resolution product. If HD-DVD were available today, I probably wouldn't buy the HD-DVD version unless the price was the same, or maybe a buck or two higher than the DVD version.

I still think part of the reason why the RIAA has had such a problem with copying is because they priced CDs at substantial premium over LPs and tape, and the cost differential never went down, even though the cost of manufacturing a CD is now probably less than that of a tape. For that matter, most of the DVDs I buy are priced less than most CDs.

DarthMaul420 12-01-03 12:33 AM

My 2 cents.

HD-dvd is amazing. Regular dvd looks subpar by comparison when viewed on larger TVs. If I was viewing on a small TV I don't think I would care. Some dvd releases, mainly newer titles, look really good on my 50 inch set but the flaws are very evident. Will I rebuy every title? Probably not. I won't rebuy television season sets no matter what they do them. I am waiting for HDdvd and will be among the first to upgrade.

It is also possible that after people start watching more HDTV programming, aka the big switchover, they will start questioning paying for regular dvds that offer less video quality than what they consider "basic" cable channels. There is a reason most stores now have all the HDTVs hooked up to a HD source and not a dvd player.

It is also true what many have said that some titles may not be released again but we have no way of guessing which films those are right now. I'm sure that the lesser known companies will put out whatever they can get the rights to just as they are doing now. The larger studios will do the same things with their catalog titles that they have been doing with dvd, spacing them out and releasing them whenever they feel like. But just like Laserdisc, most dvds will diminish in value save a few rare ones.

If anything, Criterion will start at spine number 1 again .....

talemyn 12-01-03 01:16 AM

Originally posted by babka
Going from VHS to DVD was a large and completely different step and consumers could see a clear benefit.

1. DVD's were digital (no lose in quality after so many watchings),br> 2. Twice the resolution of a VHS tape.
3. Better then CD quality sound. (people could relate to CD quality sound versus tapes as they already had CD's)
4. No need to rewind (Be kind rewind :p )
5. Bonus features up the wazoo
6. Nice packaging (4 color picture printing on disks versus text lable on tape)
7. Able to play in computers, car decks, laptops, ect.
8. Chapter markings
9. Audio Commentaries
10. Subtitles
11. Multiple languages

All these things made for a huge leap in value on the part of DVD's. However besides a resolution and color gain I can't see HDDVD's having as good of a sales pitch. Truth is for the first time in a long time people are now seeing the full power of their TV's resolution with the advent DVD's. For most people it's good enough. To introduce a new format less then a decade after the previous could be a downfall.

I agree completely . . . I see HDDVD's going the way of the betamax and the laserdisc. Even with the improved quality, there just isn't going to be enough incentive for the vast majority of people to switch over . . . I don't see them lasting in the world of studio releases.

It is bittersweet though . . . HD is pretty amazing . . .

Originally posted by Shroud
Yes I believe people will rebuy their collection, at least of the movies that will be improved in hi def as some movies were never released in their native OAR (Full Metal Jacket anyone?).
Holding . . . back . . . response . . .

Must . . . not . . . reply . . .

vivarey 12-01-03 01:27 AM

Originally posted by talemyn
I agree completely . . . I see HDDVD's going the way of the betamax and the laserdisc. Even with the improved quality, there just isn't going to be enough incentive for the vast majority of people to switch over . . . I don't see them lasting in the world of studio releases.
Hmm... so you think people won't mind having higher quality television signals than their own store-bought DVDs? I think we need to keep in mind HD will soon be THE standard in terms of audio/video presentation in the U.S. and abroad. It only makes sense that the home video market will follow suit. It's not as much a matter of improved quality as much it is a matter of standards. The FCC has already made the decision.

talemyn 12-01-03 02:10 AM

Originally posted by vivarey
Hmm... so you think people won't mind having higher quality television signals than their own store-bought DVDs? I think we need to keep in mind HD will soon be THE standard in terms of audio/video presentation in the U.S. and abroad. It only makes sense that the home video market will follow suit. It's not as much a matter of improved quality as much it is a matter of standards. The FCC has already made the decision.
No . . . I think that people will appreciate the quality, but I don't think that it will be worth the majority of peoples time, effort, cash, etc. to replace everything that they already have. There is just not enough of an improvement to get them into it. Plus . . . VHS quality is rarely the equivalent of cable signals, but people were fine with that for a long time (i.e. didn't upgrade to LD). The switchover only came along when DVD's came out offering a whole lot more.

As for the FCC standards . . . I don't see them being met anytime soon (or, at least, not when they are supposed to be met). The cost of the implementation is prohibative. Ever watch college football? The HD stations that cover the games sometimes cover one game a week in true HD. It just costs to much for the equipment.

EPKJ 12-01-03 02:17 AM

No. I really doubt that HD-DVD will take off. I agree that it is not that big a leap. I have seen HD-TV, and am unimpressed. I think most consumers will have the same reaction. DVD was a vastly superior format to VHS. Even casual viewers were blown away by the difference. They will not be impressed by HD-DVD and will not be willing to convert or just trash collections, at least not without very low prices and backward compatibility.

yojimbo1 12-01-03 02:28 AM

i agree that backwards compatibility is essential but dvd will be replaced

Brian Shannon 12-01-03 06:36 AM

but all this talk about HD-DVD is getting me worried, its coming out in only like 2 years?
:hscratch:

Really?

philo 12-01-03 06:48 AM

Comes down to two things. If the price is low and the movies are available. When that happens people will switch to HD players and begin buying titles they dont have on DVD. Backwards compatibility will be a huge incentive for people looking to replace their current DVD player.

All those features of DVD listed earlier were present in Laserdisc. Laserdisc didnt take off because they were expensive. I dont even think ppl would have even minded the unwieldy size if they were cheap enough.

I've been hearing for years how HDTV is gonna take off. Just seems that those deadlines always get pushed back. I think its gonna be 2010 before we see any significant sales movement on HD-DVD.

RyoHazuki 12-01-03 07:28 AM

Oh you know it.

Citizen Kane
3 discs.
DTS-EX 7.1
Animorphic Widescreen
Digitally Enhanced 3D Version of the film
Alternate Angles
Voice Remixer Audio Game
360 degree Location Viewer

I cant wait.

steebo777 12-01-03 07:36 AM

Will I rebuy all my movies in HD-DVD?
Hell no.

Will I rebuy some?
More than likely.

Will I be jumping on the HD-DVD bandwagon right away?
Hell yes.

Muah'dib 12-01-03 08:05 AM

I'll definitely be rebuying some of them if they meet my criteria.

1. Must be a marked improvement over current release. This will be the central issue.

2. Improvment of extras

Those are the main two issues. I'm not gonna rebuy just for the sake of rebuying. I figure it will go much like DVD did when it first came out. They will simply retransfer the same transfer used on many DVD's, much like laserdiscs were done on DVD.

cruzness 12-01-03 08:35 AM

I haven't even bought an HD-TV yet even though I will within the next 2 years. I don't think HD-DVD will be as big as many believe. The general public will not really want to re-buy their DVD's into HD-DVD after spending money on the DVD format. There are still some people who will not give up on VHS (me included since I Still buy the wiggles or blue's clues for my daughter on VHS) Would I buy an HD-DVD player? More than likely after I buy a HD-TV. I would be more than happy to buy new titles in HD also. Would I upgrade my collection to HD-DVD? Hell no. I have a collection of more than 400 movies and I would not even think of buying it all over again when I am more than happy with all the catalogue titles I have collected. There is no denying HD is a superior looking format that audiophiles will flock to, but HD-DVD will have a harder time catching on because of DVD's wide acceptance by the public, the media, retailers and the studios. Only time will tell.

vivarey 12-01-03 08:40 AM

The general public will not really want to re-buy their DVD's into HD-DVD after spending money on the DVD format.
Perhaps, but I really don't think the success of HD-DVD will hang on consumers re-buying their old titles. It will just be marketed as an upgrade to DVD, and people will eventually buy in... if for no other reason than because it will be the only way to buy new releases in the future (i.e. it will take over the current DVD format).

cruzness 12-01-03 08:53 AM

Originally posted by vivarey
Perhaps, but I really don't think the success of HD-DVD will hang on consumers re-buying their old titles. It will just be marketed as an upgrade to DVD, and people will eventually buy in... if for no other reason than because it will be the only way to buy new releases in the future (i.e. it will take over the current DVD format).
I think you are right but I'm just no sure if it will have the same kind of immediate acceptance that DVD has had. It would be hard for studios to stop making DVD's since it is such a large cash cow for big releases, and make HD-DVD's instead. And let's face it profit margins is what really drove the studios to push DVD to the public.

Dammit 12-01-03 09:08 AM

The switchover will not be sudden. Everyone here is eventually going to have to go the HD-DVD route simply because DVD will be phased out. It's just going to be a slow process.

steebo777 12-01-03 09:49 AM

This may be a bit off topic, but did anyone catch The Simpsons last night when Homer was running through the Springfield Dump? It was hilariuous because in the background as he was running was first a pile of BETA tapes with a sign above it saying "BETA", then a Laserdisc pile with a sign saying 'LASERDISC" and finally an empty spot with a sign above it saying "RESERVED FOR DVDs". I was cracking up. Is Matt Groening being payed off by the companies trying to push the HD-DVD format? :lol:

vivarey 12-01-03 09:58 AM

Originally posted by cruzness
It would be hard for studios to stop making DVD's since it is such a large cash cow for big releases, and make HD-DVD's instead. And let's face it profit margins is what really drove the studios to push DVD to the public.
Well, the studios would still be making DVDs -- they would just be in HD. And like I said in a previous post, I think at first we'll see non-HD and HD discs packaged together.

talemyn 12-01-03 10:02 AM

Originally posted by steebo777
Is Matt Groening being payed off by the companies trying to push the HD-DVD format? :lol:
Of course he is . . . then everybody will rebuy the Simpson Seasons in HD . . . :D

ChrisHicks 12-01-03 10:03 AM

I can't wait for the day Fox reissues The X-Files season sets in HD for the low retail cost of $599.95 a set.

Dammit 12-01-03 12:47 PM

X-Files and The Simpsons were never shot in HD. I'm not sure if they used film for them or video. If they used film they could definitely make a HD version. If they used video it would just be upsampled and not worth buying since these players will upconvert your standard def dvds anyway.

ChrisHicks 12-01-03 12:58 PM

I was being sarcastic in case it seemed like I was serious. I would never rebuy tv sets. I just don't watch them enough to buy them twice.

talemyn 12-01-03 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Dammit
X-Files and The Simpsons were never shot in HD. I'm not sure if they used film for them or video. If they used film they could definitely make a HD version. If they used video it would just be upsampled and not worth buying since these players will upconvert your standard def dvds anyway.
I actually assumed that was the case . . . I was just joking . . . sorry . . . I won't do it again. :(

:D

Romero 12-01-03 02:01 PM

How many joe six packs are going to rush out and go to HD? Bottom line. What we want does not really matter. It is what the general public is willing to do.

My bet is that the general public is not going to go for this. Even if they do I could forsee them not being as willing to purchase new titles. There will be a certain feeling that may scream I was screwed on this puppy. I just bought this thing last year, and now they want me to rebuy it.

Personally I would rebuy those titles that I love, that would benefit from a hd transfer. The fact of the matter is though that I doubt the studios will put the time in to do a great not decent transfer to titles. I have quite a few dvd's that are vhs quality because it was not a big release such as gladiator. (I used that as an example because it is listed above. Great example btw.)