Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Larry Sanders, Season 2? (USE A QUESTION MARK IF YOU'RE ASKING A QUESTION)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Larry Sanders, Season 2? (USE A QUESTION MARK IF YOU'RE ASKING A QUESTION)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larry Sanders, Season 2

I've been waiting oh so long, does anybody have any idea of a release date on this? Is it possible that HBO has decided not to release any other seasons?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-17-03, 11:50 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! In the future, if you start another thread asking a question, try to make that clearer in the thread title. It's frustrating for people to click on a thread about something they've been anticipating, thinking that someone has info, when it's just someone else hoping for a release, too.
Old 11-17-03, 12:00 PM

Sorry about that, side effect of posting at work while people are yelling at me to do things for them. Won't happen again.
Old 11-17-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There hasn't been any new news on it in over a year: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=2664
Old 11-17-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing plaguing TV sets today are people who are reluctant to buy season one sets until they see if the studio is committed to putting out future season sets are invariably hurting the chances for future season sets coming out. That's what happened with Larry Sanders season one-it didn't sell well enough in the studio's estimation to justify a season two release. I hope the exposure the show is getting in syndication gets more attention to the series and helps get the season two release here sooner, but until then, if you haven't bought season one, BUY IT! We will never see season two unless people buy season one.
Old 11-17-03, 04:29 PM
Cool New Member

Calhoun07 wrote:

One thing plaguing TV sets today are people who are reluctant to buy season one sets until they see if the studio is committed to putting out future season sets are invariably hurting the chances for future season sets coming out.
I share your pain, calhoun07, but while I cannot dispute the validity of your claim, I feel compelled to step forward and dispel any delusions that fans might have that their individual purchase or opinion means squat to these mega-corps like HBO. I think a more prudent approach would be to start an online petition (this has proven successful on more than a couple occasions).

Sure, if you wanna take the risk that additional seasons might not be forthcoming, then jump in and grab "Season One" of whatever show tickles your fancy - but buyer beware! I was one who was "burned" by buying Artisan Entertainment's Season One of Twin Peaks. They had announced early on that they would be releasing the entire series over time, but they dropped the ball BIG TIME on this one. They sat on their lazy butts and let their license expire - so, as things stand right now, US fans will never see anything past Season One of Twin Peaks on dvd (unless they order the lower-quality imports from overseas). I don't regret my purchase though - as a huge fan of the show, I'm happy to have even one season on dvd (especially since Artisan admittedly did a fantastic job on it). However, Artisan really blew it by letting the rights slip through their fingers! Who is keeping track of this stuff over there, Helen Keller?

So buy your favorite show on dvd, even if only Season One has been announced so far... Just don't be expecting that the distributor will guarantee additional seasons just because you and your friends bought the first season.

Just some friendly advice from your local neighborhood cynic...

Eric
Old 11-17-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I look at buying a DVD as something like voting, and if I buy something then it's like a vote that I want to see more product like that. If I don't buy it, and they don't release anymore, then I really have no room to complain, because I didn't support the series when it came out. For example, Mary Tyler Moore season one is one I bought, so I feel I have every right to complain to FOX that they are dissing us on season two, whether or not my complaints to them get anywhere or not. But if I didn't buy it, what right would I have to do anything about it? Start an online petion? If I was a studio exec, I would look at the number of "signatures" and my sales number and know that the "signatures" can be easilly padded on an online petition but sales numbers are the real thing I would be listening to.
Old 11-17-03, 06:52 PM
Cool New Member

Calhoun,

I understand your point, and I don't necessarily dismiss it out of hand. Anyone considering buying a season set of dvd's for a given television show - when all seasons have yet to surface - stands the risk of being left with an "incomplete" collection... not to mention no small amount of agitation (as we Twin Peaks fans have sadly discovered). You are correct, though, in that your purchase will count as more of a "vote" than a noncommittal signature on an online petition. I'm just playing devil's advocate here for the sake of those who are cautious about laying out what can amount to a sizeable amount of cash for a season's box set, in good faith that the distributor will carry through with the remaining seasons. There are no guarantees, and the distributor couldn't care less about your outrage - after they have your money.

Obviously (since I replied to this thread), I am also a big fan of The Larry Sanders Show, and I was just wondering about the delay of Season Two myself. Larry Sanders was a massive success for the network, and I'm not really sure why it's being dismissed (or placed on the back burner). If HBO doesn't come through with future seasons of this groundbreaking program, I'll be mad as hell, but I'll still be thankful for having the first season on dvd. Others might not be so grateful, and I would completely understand their frustration.

Eric
Old 11-17-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EricBill, HBO is not to blame here. Columbia/Tristar is the one responsible for this. Columbia/Tristar has created what I think is a nightmare for TV shows on DVD. What I mean by that is that they have rushed out several TV shows in a short amount of time, flooding the market. I think that this has dismayed several consumers (myself included) and created the "I am not buying season one until they release season two" mindset because Columbia Tristar released a ton of season one sets, then waited a long time until we ever saw some season twos, while season one set after season one set was released from them. I think this created uncertainty among consumers what they were up to. I would rather see them focus on a few shows at a time than flood the market. Perhaps Larry Sanders would have fared better on DVD if they had paced themselves just a little better.

I am not sure why it's being dismissed either. Perhaps it's just not as massively popular as their older TV shows on DVD, such as Sanford and Son and All in the Family (still waiting for season three on that one by the way!!!)? Who knows? That's why I said I hope the syndicated episodes help get attention drawn to the show to help drive up the sales for season one so we can get season two eventually. I just don't want to believe this show on DVD is dead in the water.
Old 11-22-03, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Chew
There hasn't been any new news on it in over a year: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shownews.cfm?ShowID=2664

I noticed that in this Twin Peaks news item that Larry Sanders Show was mentioned this way:

There have been other TV-DVD releases, which didn't sell enough to justify continuing (Columbia's The Larry Sanders Show and Fox's The Mary Tyler Moore Show are the best-known examples).
Looks like LSS-S2 is a no-go!
Old 11-23-03, 07:22 AM

I think the biggest mistake with Larry Sanders was that it hit store shelves with an outrageous list price. C/TS later dropped the list price, but the damage had already been done.
Old 11-25-03, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I loved the Larry Sanders show, but given that the current release was:

1. Waaaaaaaaaay overpriced, and
2. Given such a poor quality transfer

I passed on it. If they re-release it and do right by it, I'll totally pick up all of the seasons.

I wrote to them at the time it was released but of course I never even received a courtesy reply.
Old 11-25-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love it when people say "if they re-release the season set" line. If the set didn't sell well in the first place, why would the studio "double dip?" Additionally, what are the chances of any studio double dipping on a season set, except for maybe the rare case like Three's Company season one? AFAIK, the current season sets are not going out of print (on any show)
Old 11-25-03, 11:55 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
It didn't sell well because:

1. It was waaaaaaaaaay overpriced, and
2. It was given such a poor quality transfer

There's definitely a market out there for this series, so if they:

1. Priced it lower, and
2. Gave it a better transfer

people would be more likely to buy it.

Paramount is re-releasing the Star Trek discs in season sets. Fix the problem, put out better product, and people will buy it.

Eventually CTS may decide that they want to make money via the Larry Sanders Show. When that day comes they'll have to re-think their strategy and examine why it didn't work the first time.

Like the Planet of the Apes Boxed Set, the first film, at least, is being re-released.

The Kubrick Collection was a 7-disc set that was re-released in a better format.

These things *do* happen, calhoun07. So the chances are pretty good, although it may take awhile.
Old 09-27-04, 11:59 PM

Gary Shandling was on the Tonight Show tonight, and at the close of his segment he confirmed with Leno that more seasons of Larry Sanders will be out on DVD "this fall." I believe they actually said 'the rest of the seasons'.

I loved that show... and this news makes me a happy camper indeed. If anybody finds other details, please share!
Old 09-28-04, 12:19 AM

I heard the "rest of the seasons" comment also and it showed up on the closed captioning. However, the comment was prefaced in a way I think they meant Season 2.

Good news!
Old 09-28-04, 12:32 AM
Suspended

Can't wait - I just hope they re-release season 1 with better video quality and a lower price point.
Old 09-28-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I've wonder a few times if the number of musical preformances in the series is hindering the release of more of these shows.

The same way that other shows had to pay to obtain home video rights that weren't grabbed during the original production of the show. I know some shows have just substituted newer music, but that would be more difficult to do on Larry Sanders, unless you'd want to see Clint Black dubbed over by a muzak version.
Old 09-28-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From TVShowsOnDVD.com:
Garry Shandling created quite a stir on Leno last night when it was mentioned that season 2 of The Larry Sanders Show would be released in the fall. Unfortunately that's not what's in store for the series. Columbia TriStar is working on a "Larry Sanders Collection" which will be produced by Garry Shandling and feature his favorite episodes from the series. Given his involvement in in the set, and his desire to do his favorite episodes, it's surprising that he would mention the season 2 set, especially on a nationally broadcast talk-show.

"The Larry Sanders Collection" should be a 3 or 4 disc set released in early 2005. Material hasn't been finalized yet. Many of you are probably shaking your heads at the announcement of a "best of" set, but it was Mr. Shandling that wanted to do this project, and Columbia TriStar hasn't ruled out future season releases, they just don't have anything planned at this time.
Old 09-28-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Larry Sanders is my 2nd favorite show (next to Seinfeld). I can't wait!
Old 09-28-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
RobCA, you scooped me. I was just coming on to post the very same message.

To be honest, as much as I love this show, I'm not sure if I would be willing to purchase a best of collection. I really want those full-season sets. But I suppose if it is priced right, I will go ahead and pick it up, if for no other reason because I'm not sure we'll ever see season sets.
Old 09-28-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SCREW BEST OF COLLECTIONS!

In any top selling lists of TV shows on DVD, best of collections always perform miserably bad. This along with Mary Tyler Moore coming out on DVD are the two most painful reminders in my DVD collection that we may never see full season sets of these shows.

I will have to pass on the best of. I would rather do split seasons. However, it's not like this series had a lot of episodes each season. They could probably pull a Seinfeld and pop out three seasons at once to hurry things along.
Old 09-28-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
SCREW BEST OF COLLECTIONS!
My thoughts exactly. Season sets, and nothing less. I don't care if the remaining seasons are identicle to the first (as far as price and transfer), so long as complete seasons are released, not best ofs.

Definately going to get a letter from me.
Old 10-12-04, 06:58 AM

i'm VERY disappointed about the best of collection news...
who and where do we write about wanting/needing Season 2?
Old 02-05-05, 07:51 PM

Saw Gary Shandling on Ellen Degeneres' show the other day and he mentioned the "best of" set coming out. That really sucks. This is one of my favorite shows and has suffered poor treatment on dvd thus far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.