DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fargo: SE Ch. 26 Glitch!!!

Old 11-28-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My CyberHome 402 couldn't get through chapter 26 on the anomorphic side. It's really pissing me off, since I got from freedvds.com, and the return may still not work!
Old 06-12-05, 11:57 AM
Cool New Member

This is Fargo Special Edition, 2003 MGM Home Entertainment, UPC: 27616 88415. In my Momitsu V880 standalone DVD player I get about 2/3 the way through chapter 25 and then it skips forward to the beginning of chapter 27. Skips chapter 26 completely! I watched the disk for the first time the other day and wondered what happened to the scene where she meets Mike at a restaurant! I posted at Rotten Tomatoes to ask if they'd deleted that scene from the DVD release! I finally determined that it was on the disk but was just being skipped. In my Philips DVP642 DVD player I get freezes in chapter 25 (but it doesn't seem to skip) and Chapter 26 plays OK, I believe. Chapter 25, 26 appear to play flawlessly in my computer's NEC 2510a DVD-/+RW Dual Layer burner. I went to MGM's website when I realized that my Momitsu won't play the disk and put in a request for a replacement of a defective DVD. The Momitsu is the player I ALWAYS use to watch DVD's. I suppose I could set things up to play in my computer's drive and output through my projector, but it's a hassle to do so. Hopefully, MGM will come through with a replacement. Has anyone else tried to get MGM to replace one of these?

Last edited by Muse; 06-12-05 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-12-05, 12:03 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Muse
..... Hopefully, MGM will come through with a replacement. Has anyone else tried to get MGM to replace one of these?
I just exchanged mine for a different copy, and the second was fine. So I suggest the same, since not all are defective.
Old 06-12-05, 12:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mikemckiernan
I just exchanged mine for a different copy, and the second was fine. So I suggest the same, since not all are defective.
Did you deal directly with MGM or your retailer?
Old 06-12-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Skips chapter 26 completely! I watched the disk for the first time the other day and wondered what happened to the scene where she meets Mike at a restaurant!
I'm lucky my disc doesn't have that problem. Fargo is one of my girlfriend's favorite movies and the restaurant scene with Mike is her absolute favorite part of the movie. If my disc skipped that part there would be hell to pay!
Old 06-12-05, 02:09 PM

it works fine on my philips dvd player, and on my micron laptop
Old 06-12-05, 04:20 PM
Cool New Member

Did you deal directly with MGM or your retailer?
i just exchanged it with my retailer, which was Amazon.com, but regardless of where I bought it, I'd just take it back to Best Buy or something. They usually don't care about a receipt if it's an exchange for the same movie.
Old 06-12-05, 04:32 PM
Cool New Member

i just exchanged it with my retailer, which was Amazon.com, but regardless of where I bought it, I'd just take it back to Best Buy or something. They usually don't care about a receipt if it's an exchange for the same movie.
Hmm. Well, I bought it from a guy at Anandtech FS/FT Forum. I suppose I could take it to Best Buy and tell them I got it there, but I wouldn't really feel comfortable doing that. Hopefully, MGM will fix me up. They do have a "Defective DVD" subject in their dropdown list of subjects when you leave them a message online, so I presume they're set up to help people with those problems. I left the message Saturday and hope to hear from them next week.
Old 06-13-05, 05:11 PM
Cool New Member

I got a reply back from MGM. I'd posted them this on Saturday at their site:

Subject: Defective DVD (a choice in a dropdown list)

Message: I have Fargo Special Edition UPC 27616 88415, 2003 release and although the disk is absolutely clean and scratchless, it does not play correctly at chapter 25/26 in both of my standalone DVD players. It skips forward to chapter 27 in the player in my home theater and it freezes several times in the other player. Can I please get a replacement disk? I'd be happy to send in the defective disk. Thank you!

The reply via email today:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for purchasing our product.

In regard to your inquiry, we are aware of no widespread defects or
problems with this title. You may have encountered an aberrant copy. If
the product you purchased is defective or damaged, you should be able to
rectify the issue with the retailer where you purchased the DVD. Retailers
usually have a 30 day return policy with the receipt for defective
merchandise. If you are outside of this time period or are still
encountering problems with the retailer then please contact me with the
receipt information, and the name, location, and phone number of the
retailer and I will try to further assist you.

Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience this issue may have caused,
and thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

MGM Home Entertainment
Customer Service Department
- - - -

Well, the existence of this thread belies their contention that there's no known problems with this title, so I posted this back to them:
- - - -
Hello,

There evidently WAS a widespread problem of defects with this title.
There's a thread at DVDTalk Forums about the problem called "Fargo: SE Ch. 26 Glitch!!!"

You can read the thread here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...6&page=1&pp=25

This was one of a run of bad disks and you should be willing to replace it. Thank you.

- - - -
Presumably (hopefully) they will conclude that there was a problem and they'll arrange to replace my bad disk. I bought the disk from a private party, so I don't have the purchase receipt and besides that the guy I bought it from is in Maryland and I'm in California. I could walk into Best Buy and tell them I bought it there and lost the receipt ("white lie"). I'm hoping that MGM will acquiesce to my request for a replacement. If not, there will be one more person in the world with a grudge against them (like they care). I'll post back here the result.

Last edited by Muse; 06-13-05 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-13-05, 05:16 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, I guess I'll do that if MGM is intractable. They are claiming they know nothing of a run of bad Fargo Special Edition and suggest I bring the matter up with my retailer. I posted them a link to this thread... we'll see.
Old 06-13-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, freezing seems rather appropriate for this title, doesn't it?

If it's a bad batch, I guess the newer single-sided release (same thing but it drops the fullscreen side) won't have the problem. That's the one I want to get anyway, as I'd rather have the disc art.
Old 06-13-05, 06:43 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, freezing seems rather appropriate for this title, doesn't it?

If it's a bad batch, I guess the newer single-sided release (same thing but it drops the fullscreen side) won't have the problem. That's the one I want to get anyway, as I'd rather have the disc art.
Hmm. Well, I'll ask them just to make sure it's got the widescreen version. What disc art are you referring to? Is there something extra on the new version? Is it also by MGM?

MGM, upon seeing my reference to this thread, decided to extend replacement privileges to me. Hurrah! They didn't say whether to return just the disk or also the insert and case. I figure I'll return everything.

Their post to me this afternoon:

Dear Customer,

MGM apologizes for any inconvenience the DVD may have caused you. If you
return your DVD we will review your case and issue a replacement if
warranted. In the package, please include your return address, email,
phone number and a short detailed description of the problem.

The address to return your DVD is:

MGM Home Entertainment
Attn: Customer Service
2450 Broadway Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404

Sincerely,

MGM Home Entertainment
Customer Service Department
Old 06-13-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm. Well, I'll ask them just to make sure it's got the widescreen version. What disc art are you referring to? Is there something extra on the new version? Is it also by MGM?

MGM, upon seeing my reference to this thread, decided to extend replacement privileges to me. Hurrah! They didn't say whether to return just the disk or also the insert and case. I figure I'll return everything.
MGM has been reissuing some discs that were originally 2-sided (DVD-14s) with just the same first side, and dropping the price on those titles. They may have dropped the price earlier and then started to produce the single-sided versions, I don't know. These titles also have the same UPC codes. I recently picked up Thelma and Louise, and it was single-sided with disc artwork. In that case, there was no fullscreen version of the film and the second side on the original release was additional supplements, but the disc still has the two commentaries, deleted scenes, and alternate ending with commentary.

In the case of Fargo, the second side is just the fullscreen edition of the movie, so that's no loss. I don't know what the art looks like, but I would guess it's the cover since that's what was on T&L. I would hang on to that insert if I were you. I don't think you'll get one if they send you the newer version.

BTW, if you see some of the original releases in stores, since the UPC code is the same I would assume that they will scan for the lower price, even if they're marked higher.
Old 06-13-05, 11:00 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The original/initial release of Fargo and T&L have a slipcover, don't they? That may be a good indicator of whether it's a double-sided or single-sided disc.
Old 06-13-05, 11:15 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by eau
The original/initial release of Fargo and T&L have a slipcover, don't they? That may be a good indicator of whether it's a double-sided or single-sided disc.
Yes, my two sided disk has a plastic slip-cover. I don't know that it's a great thing to have. However, I will hang onto the insert as suggested by Drexl. It's actually pretty cool.