Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

John Carpenter's "Elvis: The Movie" DVD campaign PLUS news on it's status!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-03, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey gang, I have just created a web page devoted to getting Carpenter's 1979 TV film "Elvis: The Movie" released on DVD. Here's the link;

http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/Elvis.html

As any devoted fan knows, "Elvis" was the first time Carpenter teamed up with Kurt Russell.

Anyway, I just heard from Dick Clark Productions today (they produced the film) about this very issue and here's what I was told;

"Elvis" is a priority for the company to release on DVD, however there are some legal issues they need to deal with before anything can happen, specifically song clearances. There are several songs in the film, such as "Blue Moon Over Kentucky" whose master tapes belong to someone else. The songs will have to be dealt with before anything can be done. These issues deal with about 8 songs in total.

They said they have 2 options, either work out a deal to keep the songs or simply re-score the movie with new songs to take the place of the ones they cannot clear.

They said they'd also be interested in getting John Carpenter to do a audio commentary track but that's somewhat down-the-line as they have to clear up the legal issues before even thinking about anything else.
However, since I'm semi-regularly communicating with Carpenter's assistant Gina, they'd get back to me about getting him involved when everything's settled.

They again said that "Elvis" is on the "front burner" for them and that they really want to release it on DVD as soon as they can.

As for a specific company distributing the DVD, none of that has been discussed yet for obvious reasons.

Check out my web page for future updates!
Old 09-18-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow....thanks for the hard work!!!!! my library will NEVER be complete until this little gem is here!!! I'll keep checking in....thanks again!!!!

cool...I'm #2!!! I'll also be sending a letter.....

Last edited by gutwrencher; 09-18-03 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-18-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kurt Russell's imperssonation of Elvis was dead on!

Thank you very much!
Old 09-18-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have never seen it and have been dying to see it for many years now... I hope it gets done!
Old 09-18-03, 11:07 PM

Re: John Carpenter's "Elvis: The Movie" DVD campaign PLUS news on it's status!

Originally posted by evilbaby
Check out my web page for future updates!

hey man...just wanted to add something. you may want to add that to your signiture. this way everytime you post....you'll have a better chance at reaching more people. good luck!!
Old 05-13-05, 08:14 PM

Big news on the status of "Elvis: The Movie" on DVD! Check it out at my web page http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/Elvis.html
Old 05-13-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can I get a WOOT! I have never seen it but I really want it. I have every other Carpenter DVD that was released as far as I know and need more. I would love to see A commentary w/ Carpenter & Russell or at least Carpenter if possible. As always, docus, featurettes, etc are welcome but not necessary. I am more in it for the movie and commentary. maybe an Elvis Trivia Track?
Old 05-13-05, 10:00 PM

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. This, so far, is sweet news...thanks for the update!!

Besides a commentary....I'd like to see some out-takes of Kurt as Elvis.
Old 05-14-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in full support of this film!

Especially after this past week's miniseries with the awful portrail of Elvis. His lip-syncing was poor, he shook way too much, the hair department should've been shot, etc.

The only thing the actor had going for him was the speaking voice, which isn't hard to get, and a resemblance to Elvis... Which Bruce Campbell showed us can been achieved with make-up.

As far as what I'd like on the disc... As much as possible!

Definatly a John/Kurt commentary, the extended cut of the film, outtakes, behind-the-scenes, deleted scenes... Anything and everything! The more the merrier!

Last edited by mikewendt; 05-14-05 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-14-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Can I get a WOOT!
No, you can't.

DJ
Old 07-25-07, 09:16 AM

Well gang, this came outta nowhere.

First Look Home Entertainment will release John Carpenter's "Elvis" on DVD August 7th. Check out my Elvis DVD page for more details (what little there is, to be honest.)

http://members.tripod.com/~evilbaby/Elvis.html
Old 07-25-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow! Thanks for the update (and your persistence). Will most certainly keep an eye out for this.
Old 07-25-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WHOA! Where do I buy this? Must complete my Carpenter collection... just need this and Someones Watching Me in a few months.
Old 07-25-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Argh, getting an error trying to edit my post.

Is this it?: http://www.amazon.com/Elvis/dp/B000Q...5389161&sr=8-1

Studio and Running time are correct.
Old 07-25-07, 02:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Argh, getting an error trying to edit my post.

Is this it?: http://www.amazon.com/Elvis/dp/B000Q...5389161&sr=8-1

Studio and Running time are correct.
I saw this a week or so ago and was wondering what it was. I hadn't heard anything about Carpenter's version coming out, so I wasn't sure exactly what it was. If this is true I can't wait to see this version!
Old 07-25-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember watching this many years ago on VH1 (I still remember the TV spot for it: "The Elvis movie that kicks the crap out of all the other Elvis movies"; this being said as they showed a shot of Russell-as-Elvis doing karate) and liking it a lot.

But still, I'm not sure if we should get excited just yet. That's only two weeks away, and there's been no press release or even coverart. Unless they're keeping this way under the radar (and why would they? Elvis, Kurt Russell, John Carpenter are all marketable names), I imagine it will be delayed or cancelled. Hope not, though.
Old 07-25-07, 11:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenVulture
But still, I'm not sure if we should get excited just yet. That's only two weeks away, and there's been no press release or even coverart. Unless they're keeping this way under the radar (and why would they? Elvis, Kurt Russell, John Carpenter are all marketable names), I imagine it will be delayed or cancelled. Hope not, though.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I really want to see this though.
Old 07-26-07, 08:44 AM

I remember watching this many years ago on VH1 (I still remember the TV spot for it: "The Elvis movie that kicks the crap out of all the other Elvis movies"; this being said as they showed a shot of Russell-as-Elvis doing karate) and liking it a lot.

To be frank, I do not know just how long this has even been on their web site so they might be thinking "Well where have YOU been?" True, there are marketable names involved but just how big is First Look anyway? Do they have the cash to spend on promoting a made-for-tv film from the 70s?
Old 07-26-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad I can finally ditch my crappy looking bootleg. Between this and Someone's Watching Me my Carpenter collection will finally be FULLY complete as of Sept.
Old 07-26-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I called (424) 202-5000 and asked for the home ent dept. Left a msg but no call back yet to find out whats going on with this title.
Old 07-26-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
To be frank, I do not know just how long this has even been on their web site so they might be thinking "Well where have YOU been?" True, there are marketable names involved but just how big is First Look anyway? Do they have the cash to spend on promoting a made-for-tv film from the 70s?
Their theatrical release department has been growing as the year has gone on. They were able to release Aqua Teen Hunger Force on over 500 screens back in the spring and they're finding success with Paris, je t'aime currently in theaters. However, most of their "bigger" films (such as Aqua Teen and a few others) have been put out on DVD by other studios such as Warner and The Weinstein Company.

Their actual DVD department is actually solid for being in business for two years (give-or-take). Most of their newer releases all contain anamorphic transfers and sometimes both Dolby Digital and DTS. However, besides a few releases, their DVD catalog consists of mostly made-for-television films or films that didn't have a theatrical release (or in the case of some, a very, very limited theatrical release; such as Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down which got a quickie release back in the spring).
Old 07-26-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Allred
An acclaimed movie (and one that I'm sure has been in demand) about Elvis Presley, starring Kurt Russell and directed by John Carpenter? Yeah, I think they could scrounge up some cash.

Besides, if money is an issue, are you telling me that not a single staffer at First Look could spend an hour or so to write up a brief press release and email it to various DVD sites?

EDIT: Look at their entry for the DVD on their website; it was already written and all they had to do was send it out to the websites to start generating buzz.

Last edited by GreenVulture; 07-26-07 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-27-07, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Their theatrical release department has been growing as the year has gone on. They were able to release Aqua Teen Hunger Force on over 500 screens back in the spring and they're finding success with Paris, je t'aime currently in theaters. However, most of their "bigger" films (such as Aqua Teen and a few others) have been put out on DVD by other studios such as Warner and The Weinstein Company.

Their actual DVD department is actually solid for being in business for two years (give-or-take). Most of their newer releases all contain anamorphic transfers and sometimes both Dolby Digital and DTS. However, besides a few releases, their DVD catalog consists of mostly made-for-television films or films that didn't have a theatrical release (or in the case of some, a very, very limited theatrical release; such as Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down which got a quickie release back in the spring).
Interesting, thanks for that.
Old 08-03-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Heard from First Look today...the title is till TBA. No release next week. Apparantly, no one over there has ever updated their website page - but it explains why there hasn't been any press/marketing from First Look about this title.

So no ELIVS DVD to honor the 30th anniversary of his death.

Maybe we'll get it in 2010 for his 75th birthday.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 08-03-07 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-03-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well at least they called someone back. I left two voicemails at FL. Sucks but ill keep my fingers crossed for a release in the coming months.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.