Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Song of the South anytime ever? (merged)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Song of the South anytime ever? (merged)

Old 09-15-03, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Song of the South anytime ever?

THis probably has been adressed somewhere, but does anyone think Disney's most controversial film, will ever be released on DVD? It makes no sense that they would have a ride(one of the biggest mind you) at Disneyland,showing charcters from the film. Most people don't know what the story relates to, or anything. People always complain and say, "It's racist and the black people this and the black people that." Just shut up, and release this timeless classic of a film. I am so lucky I got a Laserdisc copy of this from Japan when I did. Still I hope and pray thay Disney will understand what the public really wants, and release their most controversial film ever. Because I'm telling you it would sell like hot cakes.
Old 09-15-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No.
Old 09-15-03, 08:25 PM
Banned

I don't get it?

How can studios release ultra violent films(i.e. The Last Boy Scout and Pulp Fiction, which I believe are both owned by Touchstone), to other studios that release films that heavily degrade women(i.e. The Last Boyscout, The Player's Club) and nobody raises a fuss at all. I 'm sorry but it really makes me mad. This film is a part of history. It happended during a period in our time. Get over Black people. Uncle Remus is never called the n word and they never even use the word slave once in that film. Its a part of our animation history. More children need to know the power, humor and sweet nature of Uncle Remus. Black people(and yes, I know not all hate the film) get mad over a character like him, but have no problem with characters like Chris Rock and Chris Tucker who really act like a modern day Stephin Fetchit.
Old 09-15-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Because.
Old 09-15-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I don't get it?

Originally posted by Dalvin
but have no problem with characters like Chris Rock and Chris Tucker who really act like a modern day Stephin Fetchit.
Gay people on TV are the new Stephin Fetchits, not Chris Rock. There is a difference between being laughed with and laughed at.

As far as Song of the South it would be nice if it were released. It is a really good film, but I think Eisner has said several times it will never leave the vault.
Old 09-15-03, 09:07 PM

I doubt we'll ever see this released on DVD.
Old 09-15-03, 09:53 PM
Banned

I have it on DVD. :P
Old 09-15-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=276613
Old 09-15-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
forget dvd, I gots it on LD.
Old 09-15-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
forget dvd, I gots it on LD.
forget the LD, I gots it on DVD and it plays on my computer (has menus too)
Old 09-15-03, 11:56 PM

I think there is a chance. Although the politically correct cops won't like it. It is a very nice film. The live action/animation mix is just beautiful. The story is nice and entertaining. Believe it or not, I was in kindergarten when this was given a limited re-release in 1986 and my class went to see it!!! (There would probably be a lawsuit if that happened today.)

Anyways, in today's PC world, Disney's only hope would be to release it as a "Walt Disney Treasures" title with Leonard Maltin doing an introduction talking about how the film was filmed in a different time, blah blah blah. And they would probably ban the sale of it to minors!!!

[MAJOR RANT] This PC crap annoys me more than anything else as far as films are concerned. I hate it. Why people want to ignore film history is beyond me. Besides, the film is not that bad. People claim it is racist because it shows blacks (oh, sorry, African-Americans) working for whites (oops, I mean Caucasian-Americans) on a Southern plantation. Seriously though, it is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The film shows Uncle Remus as a role model and also shows black and white children getting along as friends. I think it is actually a rather nice picture. Now, some people have said it trivializes slavery, etc. That may be true, but it was a children's film and I think it is not a bad thing to see a black character be the role model and to see children of both races as friends. What is so horrible about that? I mean, come on!! By these standards, we should also censor Gone With The Wind!!! Give me a break! When are we going to grow up? Political-correctness is so ridiculous. Are we adults or are we 4 years old? Are we going to get our precious little feelings hurt? Can we not handle it? It is absurd. And there is a double standard. It is OK for rappers/musicians to belittle women, use racial slurs in their music and promote disorderly activity...but seeing a nice little film that deals with blacks and whites after the Civil War is offensive?!?! How screwed up is that? I hate that kind of stupidity. Now, don't get me wrong. If Disney never wants to release it again, then fine! That is their right. That is NOT censorship. (Only the government can be responsible for censorship). I have ZERO right to EVER own Song of the South if Disney does not want to release it. That is totally their right. However, I think it is just a shame that childish sensitivities may influence them to not release a nice film out of fear of being picketed and branded as racist (which is as bad as being accused of being a child molester today)... Oh, but what about the precious little children?!?!?!?? What if this film warps their fragile little minds??? Well, parents, if you do not want your kids to watch it, then I have a radical, yet feasible solution for you.... Don't let them watch it!!! Problem solved. Should we ban South Park because some of us may not want young children watching it?? NO WAY!! I enjoy the show, but that doesn't mean I would let my 6 year old watch it (if I had a kid, which I will in 5 months!). It is called P-A-R-E-N-T-I-N-G!! If you do not want your kids watching SotS, then do not let them watch it. If you are someone who would have your world just crushed by the horrible, horrible thing that is Song of the South, then DON'T WATCH IT!! See, everything is OK. Those who do not wish to see it do not have to buy it. Those of us who want to see it will buy it. We all really need to get beyond this whole PC stage. Really. It is beyond childish. [/MAJOR RANT]

Sorry for the rant. I just HATE (ooh, I said the *H* word) HATE HATE political correctness in all forms and flavors.

Anyways, SotS is a lovely little film that I hope will be released soon.

Zack

Last edited by ZackR; 09-16-03 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-16-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Class316
Well I do also have the file on my PC.. but I like things I can touch and are legit.
Old 09-16-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Way to go ZackR, I am black and think that they should release the movie. I don't think there is anything racist about the movie, when I was a child I did not like it, but I did not like a lot of Disney and I don't like a lot of Disney now, I do have a few. I am a Warner Brothers Girl. I think Black people make to much of the past, yes slavery was bad, jim crow was bad, and no matter what everybody is not going to like everybody else, be it skin color, height, eye color and it is time to move foward and not back. Maybe it is time to start letting Disney know how you and others fell about this movie, because in the end it comes down to MONEY and if Disney sees that people are willing to spend hard earned MONEY for this product they will do what they need to do to release it. Thsat's My 2 cents
Old 09-16-03, 12:46 AM

movie diva,

You rock. I sent an email several months ago to an address that was over at www.ultimatedisney.com and told them I wanted Song of the South to be released. I got a standard email autoresponse from them. I think they know there is decent interest - especially amongst us movie fans. They are just a little sheepish about releasing something that is considered so "controversial." They probably have nightmares of boycotts, etc. Oh well. I think common sense will eventually prevail though.

Last edited by ZackR; 09-16-03 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-16-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ZackR
I have ZERO right to EVER own Song of the South if Disney does not want to release it.
Huh?? You have full "right" to own it even in the legal sense! It got official releases on VHS and LD (just not in the US)!

So basically, DIE EISNER, DIE NAACP FU AND DIE DIE DIE!!

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Well I do also have the file on my PC.. but I like things I can touch and are legit.
Umm....I can touch my DVD fine. And it’s taken from a legit laserdisc

And although it is illegal [by state laws] to have it on DVD, it is in fact very very moral.

If Walt were alive today, he would have wanted people to have Song of the South on DVD! The current Disney administration is basically pissing on Walt’s grave (on many things, not just Song of the South)!! Song of the South is Walt’s creation!! If he saw that Song of the South would never get a DVD release he’d cry in his grave!!! So, honor the REAL Disney and piss on Eisner’s pseudo Disney [and political correctness] by obtaining a nice copy of Song of the South.
Old 09-16-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
Oh yeah...well my dvd has not only menus and no subtitles, it also has extras. Two trailers (for Song of the South) and a 1940's complete radio broadcast with Johnny Mercer hosting and includes Walt Disney (gushing at how great the movie is...which ironic) & all the cast including the actor who plays Uncle Remus. Beat that.
Old 09-16-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Oh yeah...well my dvd has not only menus and no subtitles, it also has extras. Two trailers (for Song of the South) and a 1940's complete radio broadcast with Johnny Mercer hosting and includes Walt Disney (gushing at how great the movie is...which ironic) & all the cast including the actor who plays Uncle Remus. Beat that.
Mine has menus, the two trailers, and the radio broadcast with Johnny Mercer that includes Walt Disney (I also have that and two other radio broadcasts on MP3 format). But it has subtitles ONLY during songs (which are not annoying).

So are you sure your transfer is from an LD? Cause if it has no subs it could either be from the UK or AU VHS or it could be from the rare HK LD.

Also, I’ve read that the Japanese laserdisc has slightly more footage than the UK VHS. Not sure how it compares to the HK LD.
Old 09-16-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think PC will stop this from ever coming out on dvd
Old 09-16-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 152 Posts
Mine has no subtitles at all. I have no idea what it is transfered from.

I have owned both VHS & DVD copies of SOTS bootlegs. I would have gladly bought legit copies if they were available. I would gladly replace my copy of SOTS if a legit copy is ever released (as I plan to do this fall with the Indiana Jones flicks).

I don't like bootlegs but if what I want is not available, I have no problems with owning one or other people having them. The market is there, why not release it? Disney is keeping the bootleg market alive by not releasing it. Hell, if Lucas got a cut of the bootlegs of his films that he refuses to release, he would be a very rich man. Why would anyone truly want a lower quality bootleg copy of anything when a perfect legit copy is avail at a fair price?
Old 09-16-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by costanza187
I think PC will stop this from ever coming out on dvd
Until people come to their senses and vote for the right people (instead of Bush and Clinton). Then pc will die.
Old 09-16-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

PC will never die when you have the average joe with a certain mindset. even if some one new is in the role who isn't so PC, you will still get this from a company. they want to please as many as the people as possible. they dont want to risk pissing off some potential cash by releasing this in any way.
Old 09-16-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always wondered why people get so worked up over this movie. You know the only reason is because you can't get it. If it was out just like any other movie, people would care less about it.

Remember Black Culdron? People said all things about how it was one of the best Disney movies before it got released and how it was a crime by Disney not to have it out. Now that Disney released it, nobody mentions it at all. You would think that the 'best' Disney movie would be mentioned often. Nope.
Old 09-16-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by resinrats
I always wondered why people get so worked up over this movie. You know the only reason is because you can't get it. If it was out just like any other movie, people would care less about it.
You’re probably correct. But it’s still the principle of it that counts.

Remember Black Culdron? People said all things about how it was one of the best Disney movies before it got released and how it was a crime by Disney not to have it out. Now that Disney released it, nobody mentions it at all. You would think that the 'best' Disney movie would be mentioned often. Nope. [/B]
Why was Black Culdron considered "bad" ?

Last edited by Class316; 09-16-03 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-16-03, 11:43 AM

The way i understand it about Song of the South not being relesed is not because the blacks were slaves is because there was no set date to when the movie was supposed to take place either before the Cival War or after so the Blacks are basically shown as happy slaves and i think thats why they why they won't release IT. Because it would be wrong to show a movie that basically said blacks were happy slaves when there were horribler things done to them in that time.

Disney had really good intentions it was just misued and they forgot to clarify a few things. I think it that had been done. There would be no problem with Song of the South and we'd be watching it on DVD right now.

I really want to see Song of the South to but i understand why they never will release it and why would they if they have a film thats so historically unacurate.

Also about Black Cauldron your right they made a big deal when it got released a couple years ago. It got my attention and i really wanted it finally someone bought it for me. I watched it once and haven't really watched it since.
Old 09-16-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Which Button?
I really want to see Song of the South to but i understand why they never will release it and why would they if they have a film thats so historically unacurate.
Banning things cause they’re “historically inaccurate” means banning basically all movies. Except of course the ones that bare the label “based on a true story”.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.