Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Song of the South anytime ever? (merged)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Song of the South anytime ever? (merged)

Old 02-02-08, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VAMPYRE XX
I own the original Japanese Laserdisc
And we're all very proud of you.

TLK
Old 02-02-08, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Sorry wrong link.

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.parisdvds.com/welcome6.html
It's the Hong Kong LaserDisc transfer bootleg DVD. I must admit, they did a better than average photoshop job with the cover art, insert art, and disc art.

BTW, you can torrent this bootleg DVD and burn a copy for yourself for pennies.

TLK
Old 02-04-08, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GatorDeb
If you Google Song of the South DVD, you get tons of sites selling Song Of The South on DVD. Apparently it was released for Disney Paris in a limited run. Anyone own it? It has to be legal to sell it and to buy it, right? It doesn't appear to be a bootleg. It seems to be a bona fide Disney limited release.
As others have said, it is a bootleg. "Disney Paris" never released a DVD.
Old 02-04-08, 06:55 PM

I was at a festival in Gulf Shores , AL last October and a vendor had a booth there selling DVD copies of both "Song Of The South" and the old TV series "Amos 'N Andy."

One would think Disney would officially release SOTS and make that money.
I bet if Walt were alive, he's cash in on it.

Last edited by Flicker; 02-04-08 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Flicker
One would think Disney would officially release SOTS and make that money.
Or at least raid the festival and confiscate that vendor's entire stock of illegal copyright infringement stock.
Old 02-05-08, 05:23 AM
Banned

I wonder if Obama is elected president then maybe Hollywood will get off it's guilt trip and release it.
Old 05-01-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Song of the South anytime ever? (merged)

I know we have gone over this again and again . . . but I still get amazed that Disney will milk SOTS in many ways but never as a home video release.

http://www.disneystore.com/d23-colle...1243470/66493/
Old 05-01-09, 07:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watching Song of the South recently I think Disney is just being stupid.

The asian cat in The Aristocats is way more offensive and rude to a race of people than anything in Song of the South.

P.S. For reference I am neither asian nor african american
Old 05-02-09, 08:29 AM

I have to agree with that previous post. I resorted to a bootleg, and I have seen far, far worse stereotyping in modern films than what was on display in Song of the South. Disney is blowing it way out of proportion and calling more attention to itself by not releasing the film.
Old 05-02-09, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JerryKILL View Post
...calling more attention to itself by not releasing the film.
Maybe that's the point, they know everyone wants this film on DVD, so the more they mention it, the more they'll get attention for other titles.
Old 05-02-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think it has anything to do with garnering attention for other titles. I honestly think they know exactly what they're doing in not releasing this. This movie is going to serve as their one, big final cash cow, when the time is right. I think they're intentionally saving it until they don't have anything else to re-release, and this will be the pinnacle. All the classics they're releasing as Platinum Editions and what-not, there's only so much they can do with these. What else can they do, re-release them as Double Platinums? They'll dangle this in front of us as long as they can, pretending like they care about offending people, knowing damn well it's not going to offend anybody, and then they're going to bank some huge coin on finally putting it out. Trouble is, they'll probably put out a bare-bones single-disc, then wait a few more years and act like they're "scouring the vaults" for more material to release a special edition. YOU'VE HAD 60 FUCKING YEARS TO SCOUR THE VAULTS, YA PRICKS!!!

I'm satisfied with my bootleg copy, complete with chapter stops and bonus features, and I even designed a "label" with Lightscribe to make it look nice. I'm not giving Disney a damn dime for this.

Last edited by The Infidel; 05-02-09 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-02-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, they can release those titles again and again. They're in the process of getting BD versions out, and maybe then they can do fake 3D versions. Even within the same format, they have, after all, re-released non-Platinum titles that already had fine special editions (such as Tarzan). One reason they limit the Platinum titles' availability in the first place is so they can count on re-releasing them every once in a while.

Even if you won't buy the re-releases, there will always be people who missed them the last time around.
Old 05-02-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryKILL View Post
I have to agree with that previous post. I resorted to a bootleg, and I have seen far, far worse stereotyping in modern films than what was on display in Song of the South. Disney is blowing it way out of proportion and calling more attention to itself by not releasing the film.
I saw a bootleg several years ago, and the thing that struck me the most was that the black people were the only ones who could act. The animated sequences are excellent, especially with Remus, but the live action parts with the two kids are terrible.

I think it would sell to film fans, but as kiddie entertainment it would be a dud today.
Old 05-02-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Just release it with a ten minute disclaimer featuring Leonard Maltin and we're good to go.
Old 05-02-09, 09:37 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

It's OUTRAGEOUS that people have to resort to Bootlegs in order to see a Movie or TV Show someone refuses to show or sell because it's "Politically incorrect". Disney isn't alone in this. CBS/Paramount refuses to include an Episode of Hawaii Five-O called "Bored She Hung Herself" on their DVD Releases because when it aired in 1970 some idiot tried to recreate the Hanging Scene and subsequentally got killed. We live in a country that's supposed to cherish Free speech, yet if someone does something to offend a Minority, they'll be told to cease and desist. On the other hand, if a Minority does something that offends a MAJORITY, those of us who complain are told "They have a Constitutional Right".

HOLY HYPOCRACY BATMAN!

PS, I've Seen "Bored, She Hung Herself". thanks to a Bootleg Copy I came across!

Last edited by Regulus; 05-02-09 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-03-09, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Just release it with a ten minute disclaimer featuring Leonard Maltin and we're good to go.
Exactly. Hell, make it one of the Walt Disney Treasure waves.
Old 05-03-09, 04:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
It's OUTRAGEOUS that people have to resort to Bootlegs in order to see a Movie or TV Show someone refuses to show or sell because it's "Politically incorrect". Disney isn't alone in this. CBS/Paramount refuses to include an Episode of Hawaii Five-O called "Bored She Hung Herself" on their DVD Releases because when it aired in 1970 some idiot tried to recreate the Hanging Scene and subsequentally got killed. We live in a country that's supposed to cherish Free speech, yet if someone does something to offend a Minority, they'll be told to cease and desist. On the other hand, if a Minority does something that offends a MAJORITY, those of us who complain are told "They have a Constitutional Right".

HOLY HYPOCRACY BATMAN!

PS, I've Seen "Bored, She Hung Herself". thanks to a Bootleg Copy I came across!
Miss California 2009 comes to mind.
Old 05-03-09, 06:11 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

What also gets me is the fact although Disney refuses to show or release this movie, they openly play the "Zippidey DooDaa" Song all over their Theme Parks, and have their "Splash Mountain" Rides themed after this Movie. Yet nobody complains about this, Why?

As I Said before, "Holy Hypocracy Batman!"
Old 05-03-09, 02:30 PM
Banned

It's weird that Disney won't release one of their most requested movies. I mean, in their parks, don't they (or used to) use the characters Brer Bear, Brer Rabbit, etc. in some of the attractions ? Also, don't they use Zip-a-dee-doo-dah in their movies and Disney music compilations ? Doesn't make much sense for them to make money off the characters and theme song when they don't want to put out the movie that gave us the song and characters.
Old 05-03-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are shareholders (even if a single share) able to request an item be discussed at the next shareholders meeting? I constantly write on the yearly ballot that SOTS needs to be released on DVD. I just wonder what other options there might be. Seems like this is one big losing battle at the moment.
Old 05-03-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe it has been mentioned in at least 2 share holder meetings, and nothing has come of it.
Old 05-04-09, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Hypocracy
Is that an under-performing form of government?
Old 05-05-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

I actually don't think it would be the "big seller" lots would like to think it would be. I have the laserdisc, and while lots of folks had it, that were into laserdiscs, LOTS of other folks didn't. It would sell, but not in the numbers most here would think...
Old 05-05-09, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
Hypocrisy- Is that an under-performing form of government?
No...its the name for really cool and jiggy form of government.
Old 05-05-09, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I actually don't think it would be the "big seller" lots would like to think it would be. I have the laserdisc, and while lots of folks had it, that were into laserdiscs, LOTS of other folks didn't. It would sell, but not in the numbers most here would think...

I have a feeling if certain TV Shows (For example the 1966 Batman or The Six Million Dollar Man and Movies such as Song of the South) were to become available legitamately they would probably not be the big sellers everyone would think they would be because so many people gave up waiting for them and obtained "Bootleg" copies instead.

It reminds me of a Cartoon where the two main charactures are fighting over a coveted prize. They are so set on getting that prize that neither of them notices a third characture who, at the conclusion of the cartoon, sneaks in and takes it away, leaving both of them without the prize! ::

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.