Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

They Watermarked Bullwinkle! -or- Watch the Moose, Get the Shaft!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-05-03, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, like many of you I was looking foward to the Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I eagerly swung by Costco on the way home, bagged mine and tore into the packaging.

I'm not but 10 seconds into the first show, and what should appear at the lower right hand corner of the screen but a transluiciant "RB", much like a TV bug you see on every damn network these days.

It's only there for a few seconds before going away - but it returns for EVERY segment. After the Mr Pebody's intro rolls, it shows up. At the start of Bullwinkle's Corner - it's there. This stupid blemish appears all over the place - at least on disc one (I havent checked the other discs yet).

I'm pissed. I'm not sure if I'm pissed enough to return it, but it does honk me off. I thought I'd spread the word, so if folks were toying with the idea of picking this up that they know all the facts.

There's an 800 number on the copyright information (1-800-255-7514) in case you think you got a disc with a defect. Rest assured that I'm going to call first thing in the morning - and I urge all of you to also. . . . .
Old 08-05-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But does it have an insert?
Old 08-05-03, 11:35 PM

*slaps knee mercilessly*
Old 08-05-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
As long as it doesn't have Robert De Niro, It's all good.
Old 08-05-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talk about a pointless addition.
Old 08-06-03, 12:16 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by davidvp

*slaps knee mercilessly*
Oh, I'm sorry - I thought I was in the DVD Talk main forum - you know, where people freaked out about 10 seconds of mis-framed footage in the Back to the Future set. The same forum where you will burn in the 10th level of hell if you even THINK about buying something not in the proper aspect ratio.

I guess I wandered into the "I dont give a rats ass about discs" forum. My bad - I wont trouble you guys again.
Old 08-06-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't give a rats ass about my discs. But my DVD's better have inserts and disc art, dammit!

No Disc Art
No Insert
No Sale!!!!!1!!1!11

Last edited by Tarantino; 08-06-03 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-06-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm personally sick of people bitching about packaging, inserts and disc art, however this is another matter.

When the actually movie or show you are buying is screwed up I think it is something to be upset about. Granted a bug is not the worst thing that can happen, but it is a trend I would hate to see continue.

For instance if I brought home Casablanca and starting watching it and a WB logo was in the corner I would return it. Some people my not consider a Bullwinkle cartoon that big a deal, but when you pay for something you should at least be able to watch it without advertising or company logos appearing on the screen during the show.

Sucks and I certainly hope it doesn't become a trend. I hardly watch TV anymore because I'm sick of all the banners and pop up crap all over the screen.

Last edited by darkside; 08-06-03 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-06-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
A growing trend I've noticed lately that really pisses me off is when a dvd has a trailer for another movie as the first track of the film. When I hit play on the main menu, I want to see the movie I paid for, not a damn advertisement. If they want to stick trailers for other movies on the disc, that's fine with me, but it should be in a separate spot on the menu, not attached to the beginning of the film itself.
Back on topic- El-Kabong, that would definately piss me off also. It reminds me of the problems with the Andy Griffith sets that I keep seeing in the bargain bins at Wal-Mart.
Old 08-06-03, 04:51 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Nice. I'm all excited because I get my shipping confirmation from Amazon, even though I had other items ordered with it, and I have to read this.
What would possess someone to think that this would be a good idea?
Old 08-06-03, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Absolutely wrong. Watermarking footage should get someone biffed. Let us know if the phone call leads to any kind of an answer.
Old 08-06-03, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would've been more annoying if the watermark would've stayed on the screen instead of going away after a few seconds. What about inserting the title "Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends" over the old "Rocky the Flying Squirrel" title at the beginning of each of the segments? That just doesn't look right at all.
Old 08-06-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Yes, this would annoy me big time. Forgive me, but it sounds so outlandish I have to ask - are you sure this "watermark" isn't a special feature that can be disabled? I have a few DVDs where when you see something like that, you press ENTER on your remote and it takes you to bonus footage giving you more information about the scene.
Old 08-06-03, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by Pac-Rat
What would possess someone to think that this would be a good idea?
My guess is it's someone trying to discourage piracy, though I don't think there'd be that big of a market for Rocky and Bullwinkle knock-offs.

Let's hope they catch a lot of crap for this before on-screen bugs become more widespread on DVD releases. Apparently, no one (or few) complained when USA Network started it's constant on-screen logo about a decade ago on TV. Now look where we are today.
Old 08-06-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's next "classic" commercial breaks?
Old 08-06-03, 08:34 AM

I was all set to swing by Target and scoop this up when I heard about this foolishness, and I've decided to pass on these. Sounds like pure laxness, and I agree with the Casablanca comment-if there was a WB bug in the corner of every scene in Rick's Cafe you'd be sure to hear some comments...
Old 08-06-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seņor Kabong.. can you post a screen shot of this?
Old 08-06-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you were watching this on TV, it would have a bug for a longer time.

Besides... a small occasional watermark is a small price to pay for the restored versions used for the DVD.
Old 08-06-03, 09:13 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Seņor Kabong.. can you post a screen shot of this?
Sadly, no - my computer is sans DVD drive and I havent picked up my video capture card yet.
Old 08-06-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
I have no idea what you are talking about. I probably never would have noticed it had I never read this thread. Of course now I will. Thanks.
Old 08-06-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Saw this at my Target store yesterday, it said on the backcover that it contain Spanish subtiles, are there English subtiles on?. Could'nt even found the close-captioned symbol on it either.
Old 08-06-03, 09:28 AM

You're actually considering returning your set you wanted so bad because of an "RB" in the corner?

That is plain stupid, it's transparent right? You can barely see it? So what's the problem?

And you have a temper problem apparently, just clam down, it's okay, breathe
Old 08-06-03, 09:34 AM
Banned

This set is wonderful, the makers obviously cared a great deal in its' making judging by the wonderful packagin, and very nice booklet included. I love the extras (Bullwinkle puppet commercial is awesome!) and am greatly enjoying the episodes. I can't wait to collect the whole series. The price was absolutely unbelievable.(22 bucks at my local Target)

I am not bothered by the watermark.
Old 08-06-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked this set up yesterday, but haven't watched it yet. I'll have to see how long the mark lasts before making a judgment.

Despite what DVDProfessor might think, it's definitely NOT "stupid" to get upset over this. It's an alteration to the material and should be clearly marked on the packaging (maybe it is?). Studios will try stuff like this and assume no one cares if no one bothers to let them know that it won't be tolerated. If you don't like it, please contact the studio and let them know.
Old 08-06-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
I think any changes to the original are bad and should be noted. I believe even R&B shown on TV today there is copywrite notice about Jay Ward Productions in the intros that was not there originally. Music changes , change in title, editing are all bad
as far as I am concerned . There may be a legal reason why the watermark is there . I first heard about it in the review of set at the HTF .
I don't think this will keep me from buying set but I am sorry it is there,

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.