DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Do you ever hit the pawn shops in search of DVDs? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/308231-do-you-ever-hit-pawn-shops-search-dvds.html)

bmello 01-28-05 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by robsul82
I'm in New Orleans for school, and I have no idea where any pawn shops are in the city, and in THIS city...they'd probably be a little frightening, lol.

Take your skirt off and go check them out. Don't get too scared at Mardi Gras.

Dabaomb 01-28-05 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by DVDHO
Yes all the time.

Soprano's season 1-$45 unopened
Soprano's season 2-$35 opened but flawless
Jarasic Park 1-$5 bucks

And countless $5 flick's,and he has deals 1 for 5 2 for 10 or 3 for 12,I go in there about once a month and I walk out everytime with at least 1 flick.

gotta love ppl that give 1 for 5, 2 for 10 deals ;)

story 01-28-05 11:10 PM

I've never really found pawn shop DVD deals, but once I picked up a Hattori Hanzo sword for only $250 bucks at a pawn shop in El Paso.

Josh H 01-29-05 03:18 PM

No.

1. I don't really like to buy used DVDs. Especially given how many movies can be found for $10 or less new if you wait a few months.

2. Pawn shops around here are scummy.

3. I worry to much about buying stolen goods that were sold to the pawn shop.

TNAJason 01-29-05 03:37 PM

OH YEAH!!!

I found the following at the pawn shop today....

Swamp Thing! $5!!
Supergirl:Limted Edition $8!!
Rock:Criterion $8!!!
Batman Animated Series Vol.2(Why would someone sell this?) SEALED $20 !!

I wanted to kiss the owner of the shop but didn't.

ScottsDvds 01-29-05 04:49 PM

Most pawn shops I visit have poor selections and poorly treated DVDs. You guys must of hit them before me.

paul.n3w 01-29-05 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by CheapBastid
Salo $11
The Killer CC $8
Hard Boiled CC $8
Spinal Tap CC $14
Little Shop of Horrors $5
Swamp Thing $4
Mickey Mouse in Living Color $20
Little Mermaid $15

You've got to be kidding. I've had dreams that started out this way :D

robsul82 01-29-05 09:07 PM

Dude, did you just insult my Mardi Gras-ing? Oh dear...

Later.

RJS

sxwxs 01-29-05 10:49 PM

you'd be surprised of what good finds you can get at a pawn shop but its usually only a few times a year besides regular normal titles. sadly, around here most of everything looks like its been ran over by a mac truck. but there are days...almost famous bootleg directors cut brand new 7 bucks, band of brothers mint 35 bucks, and other various titles for 7 bucks and when you get lucky enough to find a bunch..3 for 15! woot!

Brent L 01-30-05 12:40 AM

I bought the rare Tool "Salival" DVD/CD set today for only $8. Not only that, but it is brand new and factory sealed. I didn't really know what it was, but I seemed to remember it being pretty rare, I think I read that here at DVDTalk a while back, so I picked it up.

Since, for some reason, I've been having such good luck at finding great deals here lately, I think I'm going to actually stop being greedy for a few times and post some of the ones that people have asked for in the DVD Treasure Hunt thread.

Jazzinator 01-30-05 10:21 AM

I've had a few scores myself:

Martin Scorsese Presents: The Blues set $47
(the best find yet)
Indy Jones set $25

tommyp007 01-30-05 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by CheapBastid
Salo $11
The Killer CC $8
Hard Boiled CC $8
Spinal Tap CC $14
Little Shop of Horrors $5
Swamp Thing $4
Mickey Mouse in Living Color $20
Little Mermaid $15

:drool: I've never found that good a deal. Most people around Asheville seem to trade in lots of "hit" movies and walmart $10 dvds. Still...i keep looking and hoping!

George T 01-30-05 01:05 PM

no dvd deals

There are no dvd deals at pawnshops in my city. Anytime I've checked, they've been just as or almost as expensive as new ones at Walmart etc. I don't know how they sell any. :hscratch:

Buford T Pusser 01-30-05 01:33 PM

I went into two pawn shops once in a small city. About three years ago.

Picked up the Limey for $8. It was much higher back then.

ViewAskewbian 01-30-05 02:04 PM

Somebody just unloaded a bunch of Criterion discs at a local pawn shop but, alas, unlike the early days of my hitting these sort of places for DVDs, the shop owners now know what Criterion discs are worth and they price accordingly. The had the OOP Lambs there for $70 (CDN.). Oy!

wewantflair 01-30-05 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Somebody just unloaded a bunch of Criterion discs at a local pawn shop but, alas, unlike the early days of my hitting these sort of places for DVDs, the shop owners now know what Criterion discs are worth and they price accordingly. The had the OOP Lambs there for $70 (CDN.). Oy!

I love this idiotic mentality by the pawn shop owners. I hope their entire inventory sits in the store, taking up space, until a little kid vomits all over it and ruins it. You can be sure that the fool who traded his stuff in was given absolute bottom dollar for it, so these clowns are just trying to squeeze outrageous moolah from people.

This actually reminds me of a story from the late 90's, back when WWF wrestling was extremely hot and the little WWF action figures went for exorbitant prices on ebay. I was making quite a bit of extra cash buying up collections of these things and selling them off.

Anyway, I found this one particular pawnbroker who had a load of old, disgusting toys sitting in a plastic bin. They were covered in all kinds of dirt and grime - still, nothing that probably couldn't be removed with a little TLC. I flippantly asked, "How much for these wrestling toys?" The guy chuckled, whipped out a price guide, and said, "Oh, they are all different prices..." Laughing maniacally, I just walked away. That idiot still probably has them lying on a shelf somewhere...

STEVEIGNORANT 01-30-05 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by wewantflair
You can be sure that the fool who traded his stuff in was given absolute bottom dollar for it, so these clowns are just trying to squeeze outrageous moolah from people.

I was making quite a bit of extra cash buying up collections of these things and selling them off.

?:hscratch:

TNAJason 01-30-05 08:21 PM

OH YEAH PART 2!

I found another pawn shop 8 miles away....

Forgotten SEALED $8
NAIL GUN MASSACRE!!! $3!!!
Robocop:Criterion $8!!!
Catwoman(I know,I know) SEALED $5

I wanted to kiss the owner of this store,but she wasn't there......