Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion release of THE PIANO??

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-28-05, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to know if there is any chance of a Criterion release of Jane Campion's THE PIANO. I feel that this is one of the greatest films ever made. It has been sorely neglected by Live Home Entertainment, the company who released the previous non-anamorphic, barebones DVD of the film. Countries like Germany and France have released 2-disc special editions of the film. The picture quality of the German release is awful and the French release, which has an absolutely gorgeous picture, has forced French subtitles. How could such a masterpiece be so neglected?

A Criterion release of THE PIANO would be a dream come true.
Old 01-28-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The video rights are now likely owned by Lions Gate (Live became Artisan, which got purchased by Lions Gate). I don't believe Lions Gate has any past licensing relationship with Criterion, so it seems unlikely.

DJ
Old 01-28-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The Piano is my pick for the single greatest film of the 90's. It was sad to watch Artisan hammer us with rerelease after rerelease of films like Stargate, T2, and Rambo, without once giving The Piano or Last Emperor so much as a new anamorphic transfer.
Old 01-28-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a rumour of Jane Campion joining the Criterion collection but I don't The Piano is one of the movies that will make it in there. BTW, for those that enjoyed it, care to share what you liked about it? We did a case study of it in film class and I still did not like it.
Old 01-28-05, 10:57 AM

Count me in as well. I have loved The Piano since I first saw it over ten years ago. The acting, photography, and especially the score are all perfection. It makes me truly sad that there hasn't been a proper release of this outstanding film on DVD in the US.

I too would have loved to have purchased the French release, but I would never be able to watch it with the forced subtitles. For those who can read French, just to see what we're missing, here is a link to a website containing a review of the French disc along with screen grabs.

http://www.dvdcritiques.com/critique...u.aspx?dvd=787

Last edited by bjackson; 01-28-05 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-29-05, 11:07 PM

Jane Campion's 'An Angel At My Table' is a strong possibility, as the rights were collected up in a deal with a few other titles.

No word on The Piano. But maybe if Criterion likes working with Campion and can negotiate something...
Old 01-29-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

don't see this as a criterion...at the same time criterion is not the only company doing great dvd's these days. Artisan has turned a few gems out themselves (T2, Resivoir Dogs) <----these however are not The Piano, and do not have the same customer base. Write up what you want, send them an e mail...someone has to get the ball rolling.

and before i get flamed for saying anything out of line about criterion..know that I am a big fan of this company. They set the bar back in the day, and when people started catching up they went one step up with released like Videodrome and Slacker....I hope they keep the good time rolling...also hope they re-release some of the bare bones releases ala Fritz Lang's M
Old 01-30-05, 06:47 AM

I'd like to see a The Vanishing 2-pack, with a new special edition of the original -- then the remake with director's commentary...

"Hello, I'm George Sluizer, and welcome to the Criterion Collection release of the remake of The Vanishing. Er, well, I guess I'm sorry. I mean real sorry, ya know. I wish I was on drugs that I could blame. But, uh, Jeff Bridges is pretty cool, huh? The Dude! And Kiefer Sutherland pre-24! It's gotta account for something, right? ......... Ah sh!t. Again; sorry. I got nothing else to say."
Old 01-30-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
don't see this as a criterion...at the same time criterion is not the only company doing great dvd's these days. Artisan has turned a few gems out themselves (T2, Resivoir Dogs)
The horrible video transfer on Artisan's Reservoir Dogs special edition is an excellent case example for why Criterion is still relevant and needed in the marketplace.
Old 01-30-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The horrible video transfer on Artisan's Reservoir Dogs special edition is an excellent case example for why Criterion is still relevant and needed in the marketplace.

I agree...the only reason i mentioned those two were for the extras alone. Artisan can stuff a disc full of extras when needed. Criterion is amazing, and I hope they keep taking it up a notch...and in turn I hope every company follows them....this would be good for everyone.

as for Dogs...i own the original for the transfer as well...
Old 01-30-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CriterionReview
Jane Campion's 'An Angel At My Table' is a strong possibility, as the rights were collected up in a deal with a few other titles.

An Angel At My Table is my preference and I hope Criterion (if what you are saying is Criterion collected the rights) does give us a great release. I would rather see dvds that are not in the region one format being made before they start releasing ones that and can easily be picked up for under ten bucks (The Piano).

I highly prefered Angel anyway.
Old 01-30-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why doesn't miramax hold the rights since they technically released the movie (even though the video quality on alot of their newer titles is questionable)
Old 01-31-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Michael Nyman's "The Heart Asks Pleasure First" is a joy to listen to.
Old 01-31-05, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
why doesn't miramax hold the rights since they technically released the movie (even though the video quality on alot of their newer titles is questionable)
Miramax and Live Entertainment likely both put money into the production for their share of the distribution rights (theatrical for Miramax, video for Live).

DJ
Old 01-31-05, 03:37 PM

Campion's An Angel at My Table and Sweetie have some impressive releases on DVD already.

The Piano doesn't fair as well for English speakers.

Do Artisan really own the US video rights? They did. I'm not too sure now. No reason to assume they do as these things can change when licensing runs out.
Old 01-31-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daniel Windsor
Campion's An Angel at My Table...some impressive releases on DVD already.
I was not aware it was on region 1 as in my post above.
Old 01-31-05, 04:26 PM

It's not. It has a horrible Australian/NZ Region 0 release, a very nice UK and French release (the French have an excellent boxset too which includes Sweetie). The DVDs are all English friendly although I don't recall all the extras (what I watched was in English). The DVDs are available separately too.

There is a Korean NTSC disc but I have no definite info on that.

These are must own DVDs for world cinema fans.
Old 02-02-05, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In case any Chicago Columbia students were in attendance, there'll be a fifteen-week frame-by-frame analysis of The Piano (and The Passion Of Joan Of Arc) offered as a course in spring.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 02-02-05 at 09:28 PM.