DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Lars von Trier's Medea (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/291671-lars-von-triers-medea.html)

MrN 05-11-03 01:05 AM

Lars von Trier's Medea

So, I just found about about this von Trier DVD coming out next Tuesday and wanted to see if anyone has seen this film before or are aware of the quality of the DVD. I notice that its based on a script by Carl Dreyer, so its got a great pedigree.

In a related note, does anyone have the DVD of Pasolini's 'Medea'? It appears to have come out late last year. If so, how is the quality of that?

Grimmyhk 05-11-03 06:41 AM

Supposedly the best film von Trier has ever done, according to Johnathan Rosenbaum.

Go to the Criterion forum - there's a long thread about it.

xxjobseyes 05-11-03 10:12 AM

You DVDtalkers are costing me so much money! I went to imdb.com and looked this up, read the reviews and promptly ordered it! Man I have no willpower when it comes to amazing films :).

SCHMEGGA 05-11-03 10:31 AM

I have yet to get into many foreign films at all. I know that I will like many if not most of them. There are 2 reasons right now for me to avoid them: 1) I have so many DVDs that I have yet to see right now, that it will take me years to catch up and 2) I will start wanting to buy every disc Criterion has ever put out. :D So when I hear all these good reviews over these films I just usually pass the thread up, just to save my pocketbook for a while. Sooner or later though, I will cave. :lol:

Sartana 05-11-03 04:24 PM

MEDEA used to pay on Independent Film Channel and it is one of Von Trier's best. However, I'm definitely waiting for some reviews on this one, since it's coming from a company with a poor track record. I haven't seen any of Facets other discs, but a lot of people seem to agree that they were lousy.

FrankieG 05-18-03 01:50 AM

Originally posted by Sartana
MEDEA used to pay on Independent Film Channel and it is one of Von Trier's best. However, I'm definitely waiting for some reviews on this one, since it's coming from a company with a poor track record. I haven't seen any of Facets other discs, but a lot of people seem to agree that they were lousy.
Ii used to have their Dacalogue, and the quality certainly wasn't pristine, but they do release some cool stuff. I hadn't heard about Medea before but I think I'll pick it up.

amparo 12-30-04 09:39 AM

well the quality is the worst ever seen, itīs a tv rip. Itīs the film of Von trier with the worst quality on dvd.

Yakuza Bengoshi 12-30-04 11:10 AM

Back from the dead, eh?

Well okay, I'll weigh in too. It's not a great quality release, but given that it is the only release of this film available on DVD, I'd still recommend it. It's an incredibly beautiful film that every von Trier fan should see.