Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is La Femme Nikita: SE going to be worth the "upgrade"

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-06-03, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just noticed a new version is coming out but it doesn't seem like it's much of a "special edition" as only a couple of featurettes are being added. I know the current version(s) are OOP so I guess it's good for those who want to pick it up, but for those who already have the Trimark version does anyone see any reason to "upgrade"? Just making sure I'm not missing the obvious (or maybe the non-obvious if this a a new xfer or something like that...)
Old 05-06-03, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's a new transfer and that alone is a huge reason to upgrade. The Trimark transfer is a mess. It's the one I drag out to show how bad digital can look. Check out the horrible ringing and shimmering of the gold ceiling in the restaurant scene when Nikita goes out for the first time. And the smearing of the dresser handles in her room in almost any scene in the complex.

New transfer is anamorphic too. Definitely worth the upgrade for this great, great movie.
Old 05-06-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love the movie, but once I saw the transfer and the horrible English subtitles and heard the awful dub on the previous MGM release, I had to rid my collection of the movie (also an excuse to rid my collection of marginal titles).

I plan to upgrade for the transfer and since I do love the movie, it will find a place again in my collection. Yes, it should be worth the upgrade.
Old 05-06-03, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's actually been awhile since I watched it but while/after posting here I watched the opening credits and that alone was making a case for getting rid of it (whether or not a new version was coming ). Thanks for the info though... still wish a commentary or something more to make is true "special edition" was added but I guess you can't have everything
Old 05-06-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the French track will have DD5.1 this time so I may pick it up again for that. The last release had the horrible English dub in 5.1 and the French in Pro Logic!
Old 05-06-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any idea if the new release will have literal subtitles instead of dubtitles?
Old 05-06-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RichardW
Any idea if the new release will have literal subtitles instead of dubtitles?
If it doesn't, I won't be buying (hear that, MGM?)

The transcription of the dubbed English dialog that MGM gave us on the current DVD is terrible -- especially for someone who has seen the movie dozens of times with the correct subtitles. (Picture watching a film you know well where every actor starts spouting different dialog.)

To be a proper upgrade, MGM needs to do 3 things:

1. IMPROVE PICTURE QUALITY -- the current DVD is not really much of an improvement over the older Trimark version, which is amazing given how terrible the Trimark looks.

2. USE THE CORRECT SUBTITLES -- again, a transcription of the dubbed track is not acceptable. The original subtitles are the only option.

3. 5.1 TRACK FOR THE FRENCH VERSION -- the decision to only include 5.1 audio for the dubbed version on the current DVD is very strange... given the way they have slapped subtitles on and not upgraded the audio, it's clear that MGM feels that people will only want to watch the English dub (which is a point I would debate).

The added featurettes and stuff is just icing on the cake. Neat, but not a requirement (in my opinion). The disc could be bare-bones for all I care, as long as they address the 3 above issues with the current DVD.

I'm waiting for detailed reviews before I even consider a purchase.
Old 05-06-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nemein
Thanks for the info though... still wish a commentary or something more to make is true "special edition" was added but I guess you can't have everything
You may be waiting quite a while if you are expecting Luc Besson to do any kind of commentary track anytime soon...however, it wasn't so long ago that Michael Mann was of similar thinking but has since done a commentary for 'Manhunter' so it may very well happen one day!
Old 05-06-03, 11:58 AM
Banned

Upgrade? What upgrade? This will be the first time I bought it since the last two versions sucked balls.
Old 05-06-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the old one used at Hollywood Video a while back for about 8 bucks, and if the SE is a true improvement, I'll buy--I purchased it blind, and despite the bad subtitles and picture quality, really enjoyed the film.
Old 05-06-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by matome
I think the French track will have DD5.1 this time so I may pick it up again for that. The last release had the horrible English dub in 5.1 and the French in Pro Logic!
Exactly! Forced me to listen to the English dub, which I hate to do. Sold that bad baby immediately.
Old 05-06-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,794 Posts
I actually might upgrade. The first issue of "Nikita" was one of the first DVDs I ever got, and, yes the transfer is downright horrible.

The restaurant scene mentioned above has to be seen to be believed. VHS doesn't even look that bad.

I won't get it until I get some reviews, though. If MGM ****s up the subtitles again...
Old 05-06-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

since it's my first copy...I'll upgrade. I need this in my collection, and wont bitch too much if it isnt perfect. it can still be enjoyed, even by the tightest hard-ass.
Old 05-06-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why are they dubbing instead adding subtitles like say Das Boot??
Old 05-06-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shanester
Why are they dubbing instead adding subtitles like say Das Boot??
They did both (you can select an English-dubbed version or the original French with English subtitles).

The problem is that:

a. You only get a 5.1 soundtrack with the dubbed version.

b. The subtitles are different than every previous edition of the film (theatrical, VHS, laserdisc, previous DVD).

[When you dub a film, you often alter the dialog so that it matches the flow better, roughly matches the amount of time a character's mouth is moving, etc. Instead of including the original subtitles, MGM made new subtitles that are a transcription of what the dubbed track is saying. And it sucks so bad, it makes the movie unwatchable for anyone who knows it well.]
Old 05-06-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bboisvert

It sounds like your saying the dubbing has not been corrected for the SE??...Does this make the movie unwatchable even with a new anamorphic transfer??

Last edited by shanester; 05-06-03 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-06-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shanester
bboisvert

It sounds like your saying the dubbung has not been corrected for the SE??...Does this make the movie unwatchable even with a new anamorphic transfer??
I'm not talking about the new SE, just the current DVD from MGM. I don't think there have been any reviews of the new DVD yet (which does not come out until July).

And, it's not the dubbing that's messed up, it's the subtitles. That's a problem that would be equally annoying whether the film is VHS-quality or HDTV-quality.
Old 05-08-03, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own the previous 2 dvd's and will purchase the new SE. WHY? I'm going to write an article about Studio's ****ing up on DVD releases... 3rd time's a charm my ass, it's a ****ing joke! At least HOPEFULLY (keep those fingers crossed) this release will be the END ALL, PERIOD!
Old 05-08-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,794 Posts
I still don't fully trust MGM when it comes to subtitles.

I have a copy of their "This is Spinal Tap" DVD that doesn't have the burned-in subs. I kept it anyway, seems sort of appropriate for the movie.
Old 05-08-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Heliosphann
I own the previous 2 dvd's and will purchase the new SE. WHY? I'm going to write an article about Studio's ****ing up on DVD releases... 3rd time's a charm my ass, it's a ****ing joke! At least HOPEFULLY (keep those fingers crossed) this release will be the END ALL, PERIOD!
Make sure to include the laserdisc releases in your article. The first release on LD was in the incorrect aspect ratio (letterboxed, but overly cropped) and the incorrect sound format (mono!)

For some reason, this film seems to be cursed on home video.
Old 05-18-03, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The subtitles are so bad. They'll occasionaly come up when no one is talking, because in he dub, they made someone talk off screen to make the story flow better for the English speakers.

Even if my limited french, I know they're awfully wrong. She asks for "Chocolate, Cake" in french (of course), but the subtitles say she wants "chocolate, thank you"

What's another good one, oh, she gets to take three guns. Yet the subtitles say she's only allowed to take two! (Or perhaps it's the other way around!)

This is all of course because they're dubtitles. I really really hate dubs.

Anyways, anyone heard anything yet?
Old 06-12-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Some things have been fixed...others are subpar...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6607

Last edited by Jason Bovberg; 06-12-03 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-12-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MGM deserves a "cleaning".

How are ths subtitles though? I didn't see a mention, but knowing me, there probably was.
Old 06-12-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
How are ths subtitles though? I didn't see a mention.
Just now researching the subtitle problem. Will check ASAP.

Last edited by Jason Bovberg; 06-12-03 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-12-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I never got the other ones, so I'll probably spring for this one since I doubt anything better will be coming now. Good price at DVD Empire (16.24).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.